New iQube V2 is coming!
Aug 31, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #136 of 183
Hans,

Just got my new iQube V2! I have 2 questions regarding the DAC section:

1. Are you extracting i2s from the receiver usb chip?
2. You mentioned sample rate converter - I take it to mean an asynchronous upsampling chip? Is that right?

Thanks in advance for responding.

Cheers,
cansman

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #137 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by cansman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hans,

Just got my new iQube V2! I have 2 questions regarding the DAC section:

1. Are you extracting i2s from the receiver usb chip?
2. You mentioned sample rate converter - I take it to mean an asynchronous upsampling chip? Is that right?

Thanks in advance for responding.

Cheers,
cansman

yes
yes

regular_smile .gif

Rgds Hans

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #138 of 183
pretty much any Dac using USB will extract i2s, considering i2s is simply the raw format digital audio is in when on a circuit board trace. people make a big deal about it, but its just the way things are. when it comes to transporting a signal along a cable that would normally be spdif or AES, then it (i2s) becomes a little unusual, because although its a superior signal, due to having the audio and clock on separate tracks, its prone to errors over long distances so its not often used by manufacturers.

good to hear about the ASRC though Hans
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #139 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes
yes

regular_smile .gif

Rgds Hans

Thanks Hans for your reply!

Cheers!
cansman

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #140 of 183
Just got my iQube V2. Was pleasantly surprised to see that the V1's elastic band was also included. Straight out of the box the DAC already sounds awesome! PS, must the DAC and line in be burnt in separately? (ie do I have to do burning in twice?)

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #141 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my iQube V2. Was pleasantly surprised to see that the V1's elastic band was also included. Straight out of the box the DAC already sounds awesome! PS, must the DAC and line in be burnt in separately? (ie do I have to do burning in twice?)

Yes unfortunately you have to. Although the major burn in is the amp section which is used for both circuits.
wink_face.gif

Rgds

Hans

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #142 of 183
Thanks Hans. How long should I burn in each input type (DAC and line in)?

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #143 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Hans. How long should I burn in each input type (DAC and line in)?

Well it is my opinion that (although all electronics require burn in) the most important and most sound effective is the burning in of capacitors.
That should be well done by the first 20 to 40 hrs. After that it might still sweeten but the major part will be done.

I would suggest to burn both section about that time each.

Rgds Hans.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #144 of 183
Hi Hans,

Thanks for being so helpful in responding to queries. I have a few more questions, plse.

1. What is the upsampling frequency you are using for the Cirrus Logic DAC, e.g., 96Khz?

2. I believe you mentioned that the V2 Class D switching frequency is different from the V1 to take into account the DAC. So what's the switching frequency of the V2?

3. I use the V2 primarily with my computer via the USB input. Do you recommend that I switch the power off when not in use or could I leave the unit on indefinitely? How does it affect the rechargeable batteries?

Thanks Hans!

cansman

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #145 of 183
Hi Hans,

Just following up on question 3: I use the V2 primarily with my computer via the USB input. Do you recommend that I switch the power off when not in use or could I leave the unit on indefinitely?

I would appreciate it if you can respond to this.

Cheers,
cansman

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #146 of 183
Hi Cansman,

Sorry for taking a bit longer to reply.

Well to start with the last question, when leaving it on it consumes more power then when switched off. Further there is no difference.
Either way (on or off) the batteries are charged independent of the switch position and go into dripple charge when they reach near max level.

As with V1 we have a very conservative charging philosophy getting max life out of the batteries. Negative point that it takes longer to reach a good full charge. hence we advise overnight charging.

Question 1 will be answered later today, I am awaiting reply from Guido the designer.

Question 2, it is now 375kHz and it was 400kHz.

I hope this answers the questions sofar?

Rgds and enjoy. Hans.
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #147 of 183
Hans,

I have a question about the DAC section of the iQube v2.
If I use my own DAC to feed the v2, is there any way to use the USB input to charge it? It's because when I plug in, my laptop recognizes the v2 DAC and I can't use my own DAC.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #148 of 183
Hi, I am sorry to say but to avoid an extra switch we have used automatic switching.

As soon as a voltage is supplied to the mini USB connector the unit switches to USB input.

So using analogue input and charging at the same time is not possible.

Rgds Hans.

edit: and yes you could switch at detecting USB signals but that would have meant extra circuitry ie extra space and money. We decided not to do that as well. sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back