New iPod Touch 4G first impressions
Nov 20, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #244 of 265
I received the touch 4G a few days ago and it does seem to be a modest improvement over the 1G and 2G (never heard the 3G).Like others have indicated, it sounds a bit warmer.Obviously, we all have differing inclinations but this added warmth has made it more palatable to me than it's predecessors. So far, I perceive a slight improvement in bass definition over the 2G. The differences between this and the 2G are marginal but still appreciable. The most noticeable trait to me so far is that it sounds universally more "focused" than the 2G. Instrument boundaries and their corresponding locational cues are less obtuse and better defined.

One major drawback of the 1G and 2G, is that despite their relatively large soundstage, they have a tendency to sound congested when things get busy. The 4G retains it composure much better than both. Micro-details are a bit easier to discern and there's  a bit more space between instruments.Consequently, it sounds more open.

Compared to the Sony X1060, the Sony's soundstage width seems to be a tad more circumscribed and it has a more intimate presentation. The sony sounds noticeably warmer and displays a greater sense of air around the instruments. The 4G has a tad more treble energy but the X seems to manage to highlight micro detail and micro dynamics  just a bit more.Nevertheless, even though there are differences ,the technicalities between both are rather subtle. The more apparent distinction is in their presentation and here's where we're delving in the realm of subjectivity. Still, I find that the X has an unmatched coherency, particularly in its midrange that captivates the listener from the time you hit play. To my ears it has a more natural, particularly in its decays, and effortless presentation than the 4G, and with the IEM I own, a Baldur re-cabled set of IE8, I prefer the X in most instances for music.

I bought the touch mainly to listen to my podcasts, reading on the go, and as a dictionary or portable reference device.....  I am liking the overall improvement over my 2G. However, the battery life on mine is abysmal. I have to charge this thing 3-4 times in one day (wifi turned off). Even though its new and am using it a lot more often now, that's unacceptable. Even more odd is that the battery indicator shoots to 40-50% from completely dead, under 30 seconds charge! Also Apple has bungled the implementation of the external buttons. I think by the time the 5G comes around, we'll all be ambidextrous.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #246 of 265

Quote:
LevA said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
jalyst said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about hardware modz to the analogue stage etc, has anyone tried anything as wacky as that. Surely there's been someone mad enough!? 
biggrin.gif

I'm sure someone will if you are willing to offer your touch for modification trial 
biggrin.gif

as far as I know no hardware modification has been done or at least mentioned on head-fi.

Um, let me think about that... hell no!
biggrin.gif
  Bummer... Are you 100% sure no-one's tinkered with the analogue-out stage?
It'd be a work of art if anyone's successfully done it, as I imagine the degree of difficulty in such confined spaces would be extremely high!
If anyone has, I wouldn't expect to implement what they've done overnight, but maybe with some gradual/careful study of my master :)

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #247 of 265
@HONEYBOY: You should definitely get that unit swapped due to a bad battery. Mine was used regularly with both music and wifi/ web browsing for pretty much hours at a time and it lssted two days at the least.

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #249 of 265

Quote:
@HONEYBOY: You should definitely get that unit swapped due to a bad battery. Mine was used regularly with both music and wifi/ web browsing for pretty much hours at a time and it lssted two days at the least.

+1, mine lasted about a week, with wifi being turned on ocasionally. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #250 of 265
~~ Thanks guys, it does seem like a lemon, as someone surmised. I'll get it exchanged. The perusal of several support threads where complaints such as mine aren't uncommon didn't assure me that this was an aberration though.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #252 of 265

Quote:
Quote:
Just curious but coming from S9 (which I no longer own), the 4th Gen iPod touch sounds pretty middle of the line in comparison. I still have my clip+ which sounds better but what can I do to get better SQ? I've read stuff about people getting audio from the dock connector.

Anyone wanna steer me in the right direction? An amp isn't out of the question

If your thinking of amping, then yes a Lod cable improves the sound.  One like this works: http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=55.  Sites like Alo audio and Whiplash audio make more expensive cables as well if you want to spend more.  I currently use the above ibasso lod with my 64GB 4th Gen and an Ipasso P4.  Great, powerful sound from a portable.

Thanks, forgot about this (despite posting in the topic). What amp should be $100 range that would acceptable for both my clip+ and iPod Touch (might be selling it to get a Tmobile G2) so I'm probably scrapping the line out for now

Nov 24, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #253 of 265
This was probably posted earlier, but what headphones are you planning on amping? To stay in track I'd say to look into the ibasso headphone amps. From what I have heard and read they are very good amps for the price; I had the T4 which was alright for 100 and the PB1 which was amazing for 220 or so.

Nov 24, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #254 of 265
I have the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10s atm, I might pick  up some HD 555s or the 280s, but I'm aiming for portability as the use case.

Also I'd prefer something that doesn't hiss, it kinda annoys me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back