New iPod Touch 4G first impressions
Nov 4, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #226 of 265
Look for the option to remember the last available network or something like that? Sorry but the closest thing I have used to that is an iPad. I did read that some non-Apple dual-band routers were having problems with Apple portables IIRC but not lately.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #227 of 265

Quote:
Look for the option to remember the last available network or something like that? Sorry but the closest thing I have used to that is an iPad. I did read that some non-Apple dual-band routers were having problems with Apple portables IIRC but not lately.

Thanks for your help! I'll try it when I arrive home. However, what about finding other available networks (their names, at least)? When you are about to connect to a wi-fi network, your iPad shows a list of diferent networks, right? As in wi-fi networks from different routers?

My problem is that I can't see this list at all
frown.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #228 of 265
See if you can confirm if there are other discoverable networks with another device, you should be able to see them if you are in as you said, automatic discovery mode. But you need to see if there is more to see if you know what I mean.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #229 of 265
I got your point. Indeed, I didn't use other devices to check if there are other available networks, but at least the network from my router should be visible, right? In the auto-discovery mode?

I also tried to access the wi-fi network from my college another day, but it wasn't listed on my iTouch either.. I didn't use other devices to connect to this network on that time, but I'm pretty sure it was available, since it is always available within the college area..

A friend of mine, who owns an iTouch 3GS said that his device shows the available networks normally, as it is supposed to.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #230 of 265
Just curious but coming from S9 (which I no longer own), the 4th Gen iPod touch sounds pretty middle of the line in comparison. I still have my clip+ which sounds better but what can I do to get better SQ? I've read stuff about people getting audio from the dock connector.

Anyone wanna steer me in the right direction? An amp isn't out of the question

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #231 of 265

Quote:
Just curious but coming from S9 (which I no longer own), the 4th Gen iPod touch sounds pretty middle of the line in comparison. I still have my clip+ which sounds better but what can I do to get better SQ? I've read stuff about people getting audio from the dock connector.

Anyone wanna steer me in the right direction? An amp isn't out of the question

If your thinking of amping, then yes a Lod cable improves the sound.  One like this works: http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=55.  Sites like Alo audio and Whiplash audio make more expensive cables as well if you want to spend more.  I currently use the above ibasso lod with my 64GB 4th Gen and an Ipasso P4.  Great, powerful sound from a portable.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #232 of 265
@gopack87
Thanks for the tips, some useful suggestions!

Has anyone heard of anyone doing any hacks (software or hardware) to the iTouch itself to improve SQ?
I personally would be more interested in that for starters, than a LOD cable + portable amp.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #233 of 265
As far as I know, Rockbox (the hack you mentioned) doesn't work on the 4G iPod Touch (or perhaps any iOS device.. not entirely sure on that though).

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #234 of 265
As far as I know, Rockbox (the hack you mentioned) doesn't work on the 4G iPod Touch (or perhaps any iOS device.. not entirely sure on that though).

What about hardware modz to the analogue stage etc, has anyone tried anything as wacky as that.
Surely there's been someone mad enough!? 
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #235 of 265

Quote:

What about hardware modz to the analogue stage etc, has anyone tried anything as wacky as that.
Surely there's been someone mad enough!? 
biggrin.gif

I'm sure someone will if you are willing to offer your touch for modification trial 
biggrin.gif

as far as I know no hardware modification has been done or at least mentioned on head-fi. 
apart from the lod+amp method,  there has been some development in getting digital out (bypassing touch's dac+amp) with cyber lab's algorythm solo and fostex's similar product with digital out from ipods, touch and iphone. not really sure how they are different from each other apart from the fostex having an amp built in whereas with the cyber lab's you need an external amp. 
both as portable? I would say not really for cyber lab's algorythm solo as you will be stacking up 2 extra units (solo+amp plus 2 interconnects) to your touch. fostex's is similar to the older style amps with DAP+amp in the sense that the unit is not as slim or small as the new generation of amps like pico slim, ttvj slim etc. 
btw, bot have not been released yet but as far as I know fostex will be out soon, and so will cyber lab's solo once they finish the approval process from apple. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #237 of 265
I got a 4th Gen iPod Touch yesterday. Been playing with it all day so far. Since I'm not as critical as others, I converted the .flac albums that I care about, to 320 MP3. With My MEElectronic M6's, I think all sounds great. Haven't tired with my M50s yet though. A sure step up from my Rockboxed Fuze V2, I'd say. If not in SQ, pure enjoyment of the device.

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #239 of 265

Quote:
I've heard the Fuze is inferior to even to the cheaper Clip+

Probably 99.5% of people would think they sounded the same. A couple of our members here hear some hiss from the Fuze that they don't from the Clip. There's at least one person who thinks the Fuze sounds better than the Clip/Clip+.  And in all fairness, the Clip+ is a newer player than the Fuze is. I rockboxed both and they sound the same to me, with all settings identical.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #240 of 265
I have had my iphone 4g for a few months now. I have not really had a chance to sit down and compair it to my other good sorces, a sony X1061, and a rockboxed clip+. I also have a 2gen touch, but its Headphone out is not up to par with the others.

I like the sound, unlike my touch, i am perfectly happy listening to the iphone through its headphone out. With the touch, there was a very noticable difference in quality compaired to the sony or clip, but using a LOD throght my mini3 made it much better.

With the iphone, i really dont notice, and it becomes much more of a sound signature issue than a quality issue. With no EQ settings applied, and un amped, i find the iphone and the sony to have a lot in common SQ wise.
Where the clip and sony really shine over the iphone is in the EQ, I have read that apple "fixed" the EQ on the iphone, ok....... I still find it basically useless. Compaired to the exellent EQ in the sony, and the OMG wow EQ of the RB clip, the iphone is more like a wannaby toy than a usefull tool for bringing out the most on some tracks.
Now that said, i find where i used to use the EQ a lot with the other players, with the iphone i dont find myself wanting to use it near as much. So i take that as a good indication of how good the iphone SQ is. There are still tracks that i woukd like to EQ a bit, but overall, to me the iphone is pretty darn good.
I do find some synergy and better overall sound, separation and clarity, using the iphone>mini3>UM3X, sound is definatly up there. The sony seems to pair the best with my TF10's, and the amp has much less, if any, effect on the overall sound. The clip is kind of a wild card, having just recently loaded the RB, i have been having too much fun just playing with it than actually doikg any real comparisons.

One thing i have yet to play with is the LOD with the iphone, mainly due to my LOD cable itself. It is a silver wire custom affair that i bought, ajd the wires are so stiff that it caused channell drop out and distortion if it wasn't held just right using the touch. I was willing to put up with it on the touch case it sounded so much better, but i have not cared to hasstle with it, but i will eventually.
I was actually considering selling the sony, if that is any indication, but after listening to it again, i am rexonsidering, not cause it sounds so much better, but due to the battery life and size.

So overall, i am quite happy with the iphone, to me, with a good set of iems, it is exactly what i was hoping for, an all in one pocket PC with sound that didn't leave me wanting. If i could make it better i would put a better EQ on it and give it more memmory.
It definatly tends tward a "live" or "warm" sound to my ears, witch i usually dont care for, but everything is still there so it really does not bother me.
One other gripe i do have, although the iphone>mini3>UM3X is a wonderfull thing to my ears, the amp picks up all kinds of beeps, buzzing and clicks from the phone, it can become quite annoying at times if there are texts and emails and wirless networks coming in range. Turning it to airplane mode helps, but not entirely. RE0's quell it quite a bit, but he are no where near as sensitive to the others.

For me the iphone works well, by itself with a good iem it has made portable listening much more convieniant.while others may scoff at the statement, i find it pretty much on par with the sony when the EQ is taken out. Given the wonderfull UI and all the other goodnes of the phone i am very pleased indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back