New iPod Touch 4G first impressions
Oct 31, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #212 of 265

Quote:
I've recorded basically all the EQ presets from 3.0 to 4.1 to see the changes and they are quite different, but I won't be publishing that for a little while.

How close does the ios 4.1 update bring the iPod/iPhone3Gs to other DAPs(J3, SFLO2, etc) in term of unamped SQ? 

I haven't seen any in depth review of the new SQ obtained from upgrading to ios4.1. At least I tried to find one. Considering the claims from various users about the improved SQ, I wonder why there isn't already a dedicated thread on this topic. 
confused_face(1).gif

Edit: Could someone give us(me) something concrete on using FLACs/ALACs with good quality IEMs. I just acquired the ie8's and would definitely appreciate any help in choosing my next DAP. Coming from the Zen Vision M

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #213 of 265

Quote:

How close does the ios 4.1 update bring the iPod/iPhone3Gs to other DAPs(J3, SFLO2, etc) in term of unamped SQ? 

I haven't seen any in depth review of the new SQ obtained from upgrading to ios4.1. At least I tried to find one. Considering the claims from various users about the improved SQ, I wonder why there isn't already a dedicated thread on this topic. 
confused_face(1).gif

Edit: Could someone give us(me) something concrete on using FLACs/ALACs with good quality IEMs. I just acquired the ie8's and would definitely appreciate any help in choosing my next DAP. Coming from the Zen Vision M

I'm listening to the 1st Movement of Moonlight by Beethoven in ALAC on my iPod Touch 4g 64gb with UM3xs. My god, I feel like I'm in heaven. I'm sitting on the balcony in Atlanta watching rain fall listening to amazing music. If I close my eyes I can picture the pianist playing, I can hear the actions hitting the strings, the keys being pressed and recovering. I can't really describe the music, its one of those things where you just have to be hear listening to it with me.

Slightly more technical, compared to my Zune HD and my Fuze(non-RB), I would say that the sound quality is slightly better then my old Zune and Fuze for classical music and jazz, however, for classic rock I would go with the Fuze. Its been a while since I heard the Fuze but it was magnificent with SE530s for classic rock.

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #214 of 265
You've asked the wrong person, perhaps. I was captivated by the Cowon hype back in 2006 and bought a D2 and since then have spent a lot of time with Cowon from S9 to J3 (though the latter not more than 10 hours total) and have this to say: Cowon is good IF IF IF you use the built-in effects and EQ, but NOT if you use the player flat. 

Unamped, Cowon are behind both Apple and Teclast by a good shot. Plug in the same low Ω earphones to all three earphones and hello, goodbye to a number of telling metrics, notably bass (not too much, but enough to be clearly audible). 

If you are a person who prefers the sound of the Cowon, then there isn't a thing Apple can do to EQ or anything for you to llike their sound. I however, don't bother anymore with fluff cliques in audio circles. Apple's sound isn't bad. It isn't perfect, but among large manufacturers including Cowon, I think it is at the top for a variety of substantial metrics. Like it or not, it is on the top with a very few players.

OS 4.0 simply did away with EQ layers plopping directly onto a fully gained signal. Now, the EQ applies to gain-lowered signal where as described elsewhere, the loudest frequency will NOT clip the signal.

Quote:

confused_face(1).gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #215 of 265
I see. I guess I'll have to have the iPhone 3GS and the SFLO2, considering the latter is not that expensive. And use the iPhone for its apps and as a phone (obviously), and occasionally as a DAP. Both without amps for the moment.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #216 of 265
I bought the Apple iPod Touch 32 GB version yesterday and I would like to if what audio codec is better to rip cds and sync them with the iPod: AAC with itunes plus setting or Apple Lossless? I also have the Denon AH-C710 earphones.

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #217 of 265

Quote:
I bought the Apple iPod Touch 32 GB version yesterday and I would like to if what audio codec is better to rip cds and sync them with the iPod: AAC with itunes plus setting or Apple Lossless? I also have the Denon AH-C710 earphones.

Depends what your definition of "better" is ; if you want smaller files at the compromise of sound quality (tho it is debatable just how much of it you'd be able to notice), go with AAC, if you don't want any compromises sound quality-wise, go with ALAC.

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #218 of 265
The S;Flo is a fine machine, but what you may notice with it ... is that it is 'smooth'. Apart from that, it doesn't really outperform other players till you move up to louder volumes. It rolls the highs off enough to be noticeable - but it sounds good. I found in blind tests, that it was nice, lacked sparkle, but that I did not necessarily prefer it over other players. Its internal amp is amazing though - in that there is very little distortion no matter the volume range. 

Quote:
I see. I guess I'll have to have the iPhone 3GS and the SFLO2, considering the latter is not that expensive. And use the iPhone for its apps and as a phone (obviously), and occasionally as a DAP. Both without amps for the moment.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #219 of 265

Quote:
Depends what your definition of "better" is ; if you want smaller files at the compromise of sound quality (tho it is debatable just how much of it you'd be able to notice), go with AAC, if you don't want any compromises sound quality-wise, go with ALAC.

Better than AAC/iTunes Plus but not as good as ALAC, variable bit rate (VBR) MP3 @320 kbps is a great compromise for space/quality and literally plays on any device.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #220 of 265
That would be VBR 0 for highest variable mp3. 320k/s is CBR, or constant.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #221 of 265
Thanks for pointing that out Maxvla; that's probably how it works in Foobar (
confused.gif
), but in iTunes you can have VBR even at 320 kbps with your choice of seven different quality settings. Since it's variable anyways, I always go with the highest setting.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #222 of 265
Interesting. I was going by the Lame encoder pages, not by any particular player. ( I encode my rips with CDex)

See here: http://lame.sourceforge.net/vbr.php

Perhaps iTunes is using the command -B 320 as also shown on the linked page above. Or it could also be that if you check the VBR box, the bitrate drop down becomes ignored, and the quality rate is dictated by the lower 'worded quality ratings' drop down. If this is true, the coders should have grayed out the initial drop down to demonstrate that fact, but hey, this is Apple we're talking about. Actually I just checked CDex and it also has both drop down type options and the first doesn't gray out when VBR is selected.. so Apple, you get a free pass on this one
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #223 of 265

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out Maxvla; that's probably how it works in Foobar (
confused.gif
), but in iTunes you can have VBR even at 320 kbps with your choice of seven different quality settings. Since it's variable anyways, I always go with the highest setting.

I do believe though, that what those settings are giving you is in fact 320 CBR....note the highlighted passage below.....

Since mp3 is limited to a maximum bitrate of 320, and your bitrate selector is set at 320, it would seem that would result in 320kbps CBR.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #224 of 265
Hmm, good point Achmedisdead. I always thought that VBR was a maximum, not a minimum and that it only used the memory needed to maximize the resolution needed to process the available audio information.

So if I set iTunes at say, 256 kbps would it use 256 as the minimum and go up to 320 kbps, and if I set it to 224 it would then go up to 256, or 320 depending on my choice of quality levels? 
confused.gif

I use ALAC for 98% of my music anyways, but I will have to re-research this for my Nokia. It always pays to read the fine print 
redface.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #225 of 265
Hey guys, I have a little question about the iTouch, but it isn't sound related. I hope you can help me with that, if I get no luck, I'll try to ask this question in some other forum.

Basically, I'm having problems with my wi-fi connection. Usually, most devices can see whatever wi-fi networks are available, but it doesn't happens with my iTouch. I turned that automatic discovery or something option on and still no luck.. So, did anyone else have the same problem?

Oh, I'm sure there is at least one wi-fi network available (mine). I can even connect to this network, but I have to write its name and select the password type.. I can't see it on some kind of list..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back