New iPod Touch 4G first impressions
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #196 of 265

I agree, does anyone else have the new iPod Touch yet?

Yea I have it, what's up?
But just to post some quick comments, I love the device; great screen, great sound quality, and overall just a good device for 230. I'm planning on selling mine becausebo only got it for a replacement for my phone while the wifi was down but there's nothing I would change....haven't used the camera that much though but don't expect to take amazing pictures with it.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #197 of 265
The still camera is beyond useless. Don't even bother trying. The video is somehow fairly decent, but I'm still not going to use it since I have a full HD video camera already.

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #198 of 265

Quote:
^^ pretty astute. There is a lot of prejudice here against iPods, unfortunately is almost completely unfounded. Back in the day, the iPod wasn't the best sounding device, surpassed by a number of other players, but then there were very few players on the market. Around 2005, Apple really started making good sounding devices and has not stopped. Sure, there's no custom EQ yet, but apart from that, I'd put the iPod among the very top of the consumer DAP's unless, of course, we bring EQ into the equation.

No amount of innovation by Apple will be acknowledged by anti-Applers - that's just the way it is. Of course, in America, it makes sense that people want to find alternatives because Apple players and phones are very popular. But that isn't the case (to the same degree) around the world. And despite their ubiquity in the portable arena, Apple remain a very small global player compared to true giants like Samsung and Microsoft. 

Their success doesn't mean they don't know SQ, it means that they are successful. Their feature-focused advertising doesn't mean that they ignore sound - it must means they don't lie about it. Contrast/compare that to a lot of other brands whose prerogative is advertising schemes to make consumers believe in the sound of their products. 

Quote:
I ordered mine the day of the Apple press event and received it a week later. I don't know if there is shortage, but I can't see why. Perhaps brick and mortars are out of stock, but online should always get you a player shipped out next day.

I think a lot of people on this site are hesitant to acknowledge they are using an iPod because of the whole PC vs. Mac thing plus iPods haven't exactly had the best track record for sound quality and thus they don't want to be thought less of because they bought a new iPod. It's fashionable to buy a S:Flo2 or Hifiman, Cowon, among others, but not an iPod or Zune so you see very few posts about them.

lol, I hope nobody is closeted about owning an iPod due to audiophile snobbery. I choose to listen to a Cowon 7 and J3 due to SQ and size, and carry an iphone 4. I haven't opened itunes once on the phone.

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #199 of 265
loving the new touch.. just got one for my girlfriend, and i must say that its a way lot better than the previous incarnations (SQ, speed, aesthetic value)..

am now waiting for my own unit to come in this friday.. any suggestions on a good LOD?

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #200 of 265
I have had 2nd, 3rd, and now 4th gen touch's. Like em all, but this new one is definitely faster. We raced em loading apps and games. 4th gen kicked the 3rd gen's tail in everything. Screen is defintely brighter, clearer and more defined to my eyes. Sound is just more detailed IMO. Still wishing for a better EQ, but I use the Westone UM3x and had the UM2 before, and they both sound best to me w/o any EQ. My other cheaper earphones is where I wish I had a better EQ on the iPod.

Other than that EQ thing, there is not much to dislike about the 3GTouch. That is unless you are an Apple hater or dislike iTunes limitations, or the iPod's video/audio playing limitations. These are deal breakers for some, but I just use audio/video conversion software or my other PMP if I want to play some type of file the iPod can't play. Usually I just convert it.

I totally disagree with the person that says the still camera is useless. Tell that to my family members in other states who get regular Facebook updates now with quick low res pics included. Couldn't do that with my 3rd Gen. The camera is low quality, but good enough for social media and quick shots of what's happening if you have nothing else.

I agree that the video camera is pretty nice but creates quite large files that look great but are hard to upload to Facebook/Youtube. Maybe I am missing it, but I do not see a way to take lower quality video to save space. The recording sound is OK too for such a little mic, but nothing special. If you want great sound from recording get a Blue mic or one from some other company.

One last thing...the audio coming out of the speaker seems to be louder and more defined than my 3rd gen was. It's still too quiet and my cell phone is way better, but a little improvement is worth noting, and heck at least we get a speaker!

Lovin the new Touch for what it is meant for and great at. Hoping to also get a Droid 8'' or 10' Tablet after Christmas just to have something bigger and different (after Android 3.0 comes out) for web browsing sitting on the couch. Can't wait to goof around with one of those along with the Touch 4G.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #201 of 265
Did you change some settings regarding the camera? I didn't see any to change and my pictures are really garbage as you'll see. These were taken under some pretty bright lights, though indoor. I can't even read the 120GB on the lower right despite it being fairly large text.

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #202 of 265
I bought Young Spade's iPod touch 4G! I'll be posting a thorough SQ review probably in the next month and really really looking forward to using my dictionaries at full speed as that is primarily what I use the iPod touch for since my 5th gen shuffle supplies my music needs quiete well. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #203 of 265
Looking forward to another great review, shigzeo 
smile.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #204 of 265
Hold your horses - I've not even put out a good first one, yet! I think everyone knows about the functions and the general uses, so I will just focus on my uses for it as a secondary music player to my ... iPod shuffle 5G and as a research device for writing (my main job). It won't look that great, evidently, as there are a few scratches on the back (Says Young Spade). But, my 2G, as much as I love it, has been sweated on too many times; it connects and disconnects of its own accord and its power button is permanently depressed. I knew that I'd be replacing it with a new version eventually, so it is my fault for not treating it with kiddy fingers. Still, it is a beast, holding up to more abuse than I'd expect from any DAP, ever. 

I really look forward to reviewing the 4G as a sound tool and as a general pocket reference library.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #205 of 265
the new ipod touch 4 G can give you a good impression with its new appearance and the good features. it is really better than 3G. it is a new one and many people plan to get it. it is hot in the market now.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #207 of 265
my younger brother bought a new ipod touch 4G. it has a lot of functions. the good new features can amaze you a lot. you can use it to listen to the music , the effect is totally good and totally better than the old generation ones.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #208 of 265
^Yea just a few; I only had it for a few weeks but you know how bad the metal scratches. :/

But yea it's alright; great device all around and great to have if you are around wifi or have a lot of media.

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #210 of 265
I'm surprised this isn't being mentioned more -

Apple changed the default EQ balance (eq off) with iOS 4.1

I have a 64gb 3G MC model (3.5G if you will) and TF10s purchased together in Feb.  I've been listening daily since.

I was really salty at the improved (warmer, fuller) SQ on a friend's new 4G, but after upgrading to 4.1 I cannot tell the difference between the two.

Can someone with both 3G MC and 4G models absolutely confirm a difference under 4.1?  I haven't done really thorough A/B testing but it appears the difference is software, not hardware.

For that matter, can anyone find another post mentioning this obvious change in default EQ?  4.1 also added the ability for apps to directly customize the EQ via the API (surely not a coincidence), which is saturating all the keywords I'd use to look for more reports of this change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back