New iPod Touch 4G first impressions
Sep 24, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #76 of 265
How much space does an actual song take up? I have creative MP3 players thats at least 5-6 years old I flled up with songs. It was only 256MB which is not much really but I could hold at least the 40-50 songs I put on it. I figured I could find at least 200-300 songs I like. I could probably fill up around 2-3 GB of files. I would think a 16GB player would be plenty for me. I also have found all sorts of music I like on Youtube. I have found dozens of old songs from the 70's and 80's that I know Itunes and others probably don't have. There are so many songs out there I like you know you will not find in the Itunes store. With the songs I could find in the Itunes store, I don't see how I could fill up 64GB MP3 player let alone even a 8GB MP3 players. Are the sizes of these files that big?

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #77 of 265
A lossless file is generally 4-6 times the size of a 128-160k/s mp3.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #78 of 265
On average 320kpbs MP3s are about 9MB for a 4 minute song.

Lossless files of the same length are about 25MB

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #79 of 265
^ oh yea, switching from lossless to Lossy (to use with phone and IEMs) is quite a difference; It still amazes me as to how many songs I can fit on just a 4 gig micro sd card lol (I'm in the process of ordering a 32 to have ~40 total gigs with my phone).

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #81 of 265
Just commenting on what you wrote and with my own experiences

The 4g ipod touches definitely sound better than the 3gs. Like you said the punchier bass is present and everything is a bit warmer. I'm not sure if I would put it ahead of my Samsung P3, but for what you get, I think the touch should satisfy more audiophiles than before.

One thing to note. I noticed that the new nano also sounded significantly better than the last models. Maybe its just be but it sounded very similar to the touch 4g. anybody else think so? Does the iphone 4 sound the same as ipod touch 4g? I remember feel like the sound was pretty dull but that was a while back and it was only a brief session.

I was using my westone 3's.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #82 of 265
Hi there again! I know such a comparison can only be done if you guys have both players but I would really really appreciate if someone could compare the SQ of the new touch with the Sony and/or Cowon mp3 players.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #83 of 265
I upgraded from a second-gen iPod Touch to the 4th gen. The hiss on my SE530s (from the headphone out) is gone!

As to sound quality, I do prefer this to the second gen, but I'm not 100% sure it's not just because I'm happy about all the non-music things it does better too. Either way, it certainly doesn't feel lacking.

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #84 of 265
My upgrade is from the first generation Touch . This 4th generation Touch I have for three days looks like a near perfect machine .

The bad news is that my LOD to RCA cables do not work with it anymore and I can't use my Lisa III with it . The good news is that it hardly needs an amplifier and unlike my previous one is good with equalizer on .

Very good machine ! :up:

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #85 of 265

My upgrade is from the first generation Touch . This 4th generation Touch I have for three days looks like a near perfect machine .

The bad news is that my LOD to RCA cables do not work with it anymore and I can't use my Lisa III with it . The good news is that it hardly needs an amplifier and unlike my previous one is good with equalizer on .

Very good machine ! :up:

So...does anybody know what happens with the line out of the new iPod Touch? Is it any lod out there that works with it? If the line out it is not working it would be almost a deal breaker for me since i could not attach properly external amps.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #86 of 265
target is sold out of every new gen ipod short of the shuffle. its amazing that people will go out and buy the newest one just because it is the newest one. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #87 of 265

Quote:
Just let iTunes organize your music for you. Personally, I have it set so that it whenever I play/add a song, it copies it magically somewhere into the iTunes folder (under the correct artist, album etc.).

Well, well... who's BIG BROTHER now?

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #88 of 265
I just listened to my new iPod touch out of my SR60s. There must have been roll off they've corrected, because in at least one song I could swear there's a bass line I hadn't heard before. It sounds good, but a little... different. I feel like they may be playing with the EQ subtly (perhaps applying a slight loudness curve)?

All in all, I like it. Does anybody notice that it looks somewhat darker than previous models? I think they turned down brightness for some reason, maybe to compensate for the increased power need of the Retina Display, which, by the way, should have been an IPS screen. But whatever.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #89 of 265

A slew of people (me included) have be nursing along a 1st or second gen Touch or lesser iPod just waiting for Apple to bring the Touch features to this level.  Add to that the limited number each store gets in a week and that will explain why your Target seems to have run out.  

Quote:
target is sold out of every new gen ipod short of the shuffle. its amazing that people will go out and buy the newest one just because it is the newest one. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #90 of 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It tries to pull in your library, hack it to pieces, and then glue it together within it's proprietary storage system. At this point you are stuck with it. I will never download a song from iTunes because of this. If I want to be free of it, I'd likely lose the songs I paid for.

If by "proprietary storage system," you mean "folder at a disclosed (and changeable) location on your drive" then you'd be right. I've had no trouble copying purchased songs out of iTunes onto my Linux desktop, which then has no trouble playing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back