New iPod Touch 4G first impressions
Sep 16, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #16 of 265
i bought the 64gb model, two days ago and it's really nice. the headphone out sounds much better than my classic. HOWEVER!.... for some reason it won't work with my ALO jumbo cryo LOD. has this been a problem with all ipod touch models, or just these new ones?.  

EDIT: nevermind. i just found this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/446731/ipod-touch-line-out-question

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 265
Is the volume of the new touch as loud as the classic? I had an issue driving my full sized hp's w/the touch 3G, as the volume was too low. I had to max it out, and it was annoying. So, is it improved in that area (I already expect the SQ to be better)?

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #18 of 265
Got mine a few days ago. The screen is noticeably better and it seems a little faster - don't see much increase in battery life but my 3G was still pretty new - need to remember if you're comparing a 4G to year old 3G, battery life will have deteriorated a little bit - small but noticeable. I find the audio to be a bit better - seems warmer but not a massive difference - I actually really like the cameras although it's a huge shame and ridiculous that Apple didn't use the same camera as the iPhone but it's obvious why they did it. I'm waiting for a case too, I've always bought the Proporta cases but they're not ready for the 4G yet

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #19 of 265
Tracker says my iPod left Shanghai.
biggrin.gif

But I'll be away for vacation when it should arrive.
frown.gif

I have a very small hope that I can use the camera connection kit on this... anyone try it yet?

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 265

Quote:
Is the volume of the new touch as loud as the classic? I had an issue driving my full sized hp's w/the touch 3G, as the volume was too low. I had to max it out, and it was annoying. So, is it improved in that area (I already expect the SQ to be better)?

Using my HD600 (300ohm) listening to Norah Jones (jazzy ballads), the most I can take for an extended period is about 80%. Using metal or rock my limit is around 70%. These work fine with full size resistive headphones, and sounds pretty darn good, imo. Bass is somewhat lacking, but it takes a ton of power to get HD600 to sound full bodied as it is, so this is not surprising.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #21 of 265
Has apple changed the line-out circut? The lineout isnt working on my lineout cable, but it does work on the original ipod dock.

Connecting a mini-mini cable through the headphone out in the dock, i'm able to appreciate the lineout and it sounds a little better then the headphone out, but still lacking a little bit
high compared to my iMod 4g. Bass seems to be a lit bit more compact. Overall, the line-out sonic quality is satisfactory. BUT the fact that being incompatible with ohter line-out cables
makes the line-out function pretty useless.  *Could anyone verify and give some suggestion of solving this problem?*

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #23 of 265
Loving my new 32gb 4g! does all the same things as my old 2g  but better, and they even made it thinner somehow.

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #24 of 265

Quote:
Using my HD600 (300ohm) listening to Norah Jones (jazzy ballads), the most I can take for an extended period is about 80%. Using metal or rock my limit is around 70%. These work fine with full size resistive headphones, and sounds pretty darn good, imo. Bass is somewhat lacking, but it takes a ton of power to get HD600 to sound full bodied as it is, so this is not surprising.

Is it louder than the 3G touch? Is it as loud as, or close to, the volume of the classic?

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #27 of 265

Quote:
I have not heard those units, sorry.

Quote:
Is it louder than the 3G touch? Is it as loud as, or close to, the volume of the classic?

Thank you just the same. I hope someone here can answer my question tho,..... But on the bright side, I'm not suffering - I'm enjoying my Cowon DAP's ATM.

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #28 of 265

Quote:
... I actually really like the cameras although it's a huge shame and ridiculous that Apple didn't use the same camera as the iPhone but it's obvious why they did it...

If they had used the same camera they would have needed to make the device a lot thicker, almost as thick as the iPhone, to fit it in. Optics need a certain amount of space and volume.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #29 of 265

Quote:
If they had used the same camera they would have needed to make the device a lot thicker, almost as thick as the iPhone, to fit it in. Optics need a certain amount of space and volume.

No offense but so what? Many people, myself included like the iPhone 4's build. It seems sturdier than the Touch and is not exactly massive compared to other similar devices. I don't think Apple sees this as a size issue. They still want to differentiate the 2 devices by more than just one's a phone the other isn't. Also, a 32 GB unlocked iphone 4 is  $779 versus $319 for the Touch (Canadian) which couldn't be justified for just the phone being included, so while I understand their marketing perfectly well, I'm still disappointed that they chose to downgrade the Touch re camera, processor, screen. I would have paid more $ to get a real "iphone without the phone".

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #30 of 265
Hi Alpha, 

Could you describe the system you're using with your Touch. Are you referring to the sound out of the headphone out or the line out. I'm trying get a handle if the DAC was improved or the amp section or both. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back