New IEM again, need your advice. JVC FX700?
Sep 9, 2010 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

variazion

New Head-Fier
Hi there people, this time I'm looking for a keeper earphones, no more Flavor of the Day for me. Lost quite a bit of cash throughout the process and my wallet's already screaming at me so I must get it right this time.

I have auditioned most earphones already so I'm more or less looking for your advice/help me justify a purchase.

Uhm, first of all customs are a no-go I just don't have the budget for them..

Just a little info about me: I can't really live with thin bass, I need some punch and weight in bass. The SM3 and UM3X are examples that produce perfect bass for me, not the TF10 (though I can live with TF10). However, with all due respect for the Senn's camp, I hated the IE8's bass - it was making me dizzy.

Okay, I was thinking about the JVC FX700. But I'm wondering whether it's worth spending money on a dynamic driver? I'm not trying to say they're lousier or anything but I kind of feel that my money *might* be more well spent on the armatures.. I'm also unsure if I can live without isolation since my past few IEMs all isolate pretty well. They've also been classified as a basshead 'phones so I'm hesitant about taking the plunge.

SM3: I had this once, loved the sound and I'm considering getting them again, but they can get uncomfortable with the weird nozzle angle (essentially what's keeping them in my ears isn't the body but the eartips - they might as well adopt the UE design) and their build quality is a little worrying; as mentioned I'm looking for a keeper IEM. So yeah..

UM3X: The fit on these is the BEST - I think they are made for my ears seriously! But I don't know how to explain this, these just felt dark in the mids if you know what I mean. But I figured if I listen to them for a long time, I start to get used to them a little... But switching between the q-Jays and these, wow, the difference (mids and highs though, q-jays' bass is no competition) is too much for me to drop the dollars. Now if someone drops by and tell me I was just hearing hyped up unnatural sound in the jays and I'll consider these again!

Uhm, Westone 3 is no-go too, I just didn't like it and unlike the UM3X, I'm certain my brain won't burn in to them.

TF10: Had this once too, considering to get them again, awesome sound, could do with a little more punch though (no budget for an amp), but with a crappy fit and worrying build quality. Moreover buying these automatically mean spending money on ES2/any other cables.

SE530: I haven't heard this, only heard the 535 and its bass wasn't as light as I thought it would be, but I only auditioned them for a very short while and I'm afraid I will find them lacking after I get them. If it's TF10 level of bass, I can live with it. They (the 535 at least), sounds a little more musical than the UM3X imo and I could adjust to their sound sig faster. Anyone who has heard the TF10 vs 530 or 535 vs 530 would like to chime in on this? The 535's are out of my budget.

Monsters? Nahhh monsters and my money just don't get along quite well.

I do care for build quality because I believe at this asking price they should at the very least be decently built. Cables are also another factor I'm looking out for, I've always wanted one which aren't so microphonic and easy to manage, not one that kinks like a worm.

I think I might have offended several people from respective camps and I hereby apologize.

Any of your sage advices would be deeply appreciated and thoroughly considered - I'm determined to get it right this time! 

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 14
It seems to me your favourite was the SM3. Why not just get custom tips for them? Here's a trick: Etymotic is running an offer with their earphones right now for ACS custom tips to be made for you for $100, including impressions. Work out which nozzle on the Etymotic line is most similar to the SM3's, and then find someone who wants an Etymotic earphone but won't ever get the customs. Get the $100 voucher from them.

All up, it will cost you around $450 for custom tipped SM3's, which doesn't sound bad to me. 

This is a crazy roundabout method I know. But you could even buy the Etymotics as a gift to someone special :D

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
what do you mean you monsters and your money dont get along? did you try them and didnt like them?   did you try copper and gold?

Yeah I tried the copper and didn't really think it was great. Since I'll require international shipping for them it adds on to the cost and make them not worth the money on the whole.

Quote:
It seems to me your favourite was the SM3. Why not just get custom tips for them? Here's a trick: Etymotic is running an offer with their earphones right now for ACS custom tips to be made for you for $100, including impressions. Work out which nozzle on the Etymotic line is most similar to the SM3's, and then find someone who wants an Etymotic earphone but won't ever get the customs. Get the $100 voucher from them.

All up, it will cost you around $450 for custom tipped SM3's, which doesn't sound bad to me. 

This is a crazy roundabout method I know. But you could even buy the Etymotics as a gift to someone special :D

Hey, thanks for your suggestion, yeah the SM3 was my favourite but I think I'm a little more concerned about the build quality of the SM3 than the fit, but it's great ACS and Etymotic are having such a promotion and those looking for custom tips should really consider that!

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 14
^Oh the CK100? They are gone.

Again with due respect for the CK100 fans out there, they have absolutely no bass punch and I'm not intending to start a flame war here, just my opinion.

And yeah I know that but the money's already gone so oh well :frowning2:

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 14
The dual driver JH5 Pro, including impressions, would probably cost you around $500 in total. Maybe you can arrange to listen to a demo pair from a dealer if that's within your budget. I think they'd be a good option as well, although they don't get as much buzz considering they are the bottom end of JH's range.

Why I mention customs again is that, you loved the SM3 sound - and there is nothing in the universal IEM range atm that is as well reviewed as the SM3. You could wait around for the RE262, the Ortofon EQ-5 or the second generation Radius DDM's, but apart from customs there doesn't seem to be much on your horizon. I say this with deep envy, considering you've heard everything nice under the sun. :)

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 14
I thought the FX500 was the basshead model.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
The dual driver JH5 Pro, including impressions, would probably cost you around $500 in total. Maybe you can arrange to listen to a demo pair from a dealer if that's within your budget. I think they'd be a good option as well, although they don't get as much buzz considering they are the bottom end of JH's range.

Why I mention customs again is that, you loved the SM3 sound - and there is nothing in the universal IEM range atm that is as well reviewed as the SM3. You could wait around for the RE262, the Ortofon EQ-5 or the second generation Radius DDM's, but apart from customs there doesn't seem to be much on your horizon. I say this with deep envy, considering you've heard everything nice under the sun. :)

Another good suggestion a_recording. I do need to find some time and demo the JH5 to see if it is worth the money because I'm pretty sure these will max out my budget.

Quote:
I thought the FX500 was the basshead model.

I thought so too, that's why I'm very wary of the FX700
rolleyes.gif

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 14
I would be wary to look at the FX500 and FX700 in the same light.  The FX700 is still on my hit list and I doubt anything else sounds like it.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 14
^actually at the FX700's stage I'm not so worried about the SQ, I know it wouldn't disappoint.

Rather, I'm concerned about other equally important aspects I feel all IEMs should have: good fit, cables and build quality. Since they are going to be keepers, I wonder if the cables are going to harden over time due to sweat like most other cables.

I think I've pretty much narrowed down to the SM3 and FX700.

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
^actually at the FX700's stage I'm not so worried about the SQ, I know it wouldn't disappoint.

Rather, I'm concerned about other equally important aspects I feel all IEMs should have: good fit, cables and build quality. Since they are going to be keepers, I wonder if the cables are going to harden over time due to sweat like most other cables.

I think I've pretty much narrowed down to the SM3 and FX700.

If they are for exercising the FX5/700 may not be the best choice because of the effect of sweat (salt water) on the wooden housings as well.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 14
^hey thanks a lot for the advice, I didn't know that. I won't be using them for exercising, but I'm not the type who will use my earphones sparingly just because they are wood..

Looks like I'll take the plunge for the SM3 again..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back