New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
May 12, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #1,651 of 6,017
Quote:
I did yes, these will be a welcome upgrade.  I'm averaging only about a minute to take a pair off and put a new pair on.  In fact I think taking them off is a bit too easy, I wish Hifiman would implement an earpad system more... sturdy.

I'm really trying to like these Velour pads because they don't get hot at all and they do a great job at reducing that 1khz resonance, but I just can't seem to get past the smaller opening and the less than optimal feel of the velour compared to the pleather.  I'll give them a good weak of breaking in so they hopefully conform to a nice shape that fits me nicely.  At least my ears don't even come close to touching the fabric covering the driver.

You should stick with the velour for at least a week. We may have different head/ear sizes and of course the fit will be different for each of us. But the sound is better on all fronts for me. With the pleathers the drivers would sometimes just touch my left ear around the edge. With the velours it never does. So that it my measuring stick for the velours being thicker. 

Everything across the sound spectrum is better for me. The bass included. The sound stage is now massive. When I listen to Haydn, the violins featured are still beautifully layered but they are able to attach and punch with more energy than before. That may not be the best description but that's the only way I know how to describe it. 

I'll stick to my guns and original claim...the velours are a very nice upgrade for the he400 and at $16 shipped is a no brainer.

May 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #1,652 of 6,017
I havn't heard a difference in soundstage yet, but I do notice that everything seems to be better dampened.

Also I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but the more rigid velour pads seem to transmit bass energy better, meaning the tactile feel of low bass seems to be more of a factor with the velours. I'd need to really a/b to make sure, though.

May 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,653 of 6,017
Can someone tell me what accessories come with the HE-400? I heard they came in a cardboard box as opposed to the normal nice boxes. Do they also come with a silver cable? To my understanding the HE-300 comes with silver cables. 

May 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #1,656 of 6,017
I've decided to get a brand new pair from HeadDirect with the velour pads. Good conversation and info guys!

I also found a pair of Alessandro MS2i elsewhere for cheap. I have to have at least one set of Grado in my lineup.

I think these two would be a real good pair. I've kept my RS-1 for portable and bed rig use and HE-6 for home use.

May 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,657 of 6,017
Quote:

I'll stick to my guns and original claim...the velours are a very nice upgrade for the he400 and at $16 shipped is a no brainer.

$26.00 for 2 pair, shipped is really a "no brainer".  
wink.gif
  One never knows when they'll want to whip out a fresh pair and put them into duty.

By the way, my 2 pair of velour pads arrived this morning (USPS).  Being they sent it 1st class mail, it was promised by Monday, but getting them today was a pleasant surprise.  I've been out all day and have basically just gotten into the house and plopped the velours on the HE-5LEs in about 2 minutes.  Some have stated that they would like a slightly tighter mounting mechanism on these pads.  However, when compared to the "old" style of pads, I'd rather have some movement with the new pads because when compared to the "old", the new is far, far superior.  Now, I'm not implying that there still isn't room for a bit of improvement, which some people would appreciate.  However, I'm happy with the fit and adhering of the pads at the moment.  I haven't tried them for sound, yet.

Too many decisions at the moment.  3 HifiMANS in the house at the moment: HE-400, HE-5LE and HE-500.  Mmm ... all delicious in their own way.  Last evening, for some reason, I decided to take the HE-400s up to my night time system which is the iPod Classic / Video 5 and the C&C BK amplifier.  In driving the HE-400s with that combo, I could catch some of the brightness that is being talked about in regards to the HE-400s.  However, when being driven by my Yamaha integrated, any questionable frequency issues are brought back into line and makes the HE-400s perform to their fullest, and offer the most pleasing level of sound and performance.

More to follow in regards to my velour impressions as testing time permits ...

May 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,658 of 6,017
Quote:
$26.00 for 2 pair, shipped is really a "no brainer".  
wink.gif
  One never knows when they'll want to whip out a fresh pair and put them into duty.

By the way, my 2 pair of velour pads arrived this morning (USPS).  Being they sent it 1st class mail, it was promised by Monday, but getting them today was a pleasant surprise.  I've been out all day and have basically just gotten into the house and plopped the velours on the HE-5LEs in about 2 minutes.  Some have stated that they would like a slightly tighter mounting mechanism on these pads.  However, when compared to the "old" style of pads, I'd rather have some movement with the new pads because when compared to the "old", the new is far, far superior.  Now, I'm not implying that there still isn't room for a bit of improvement, which some people would appreciate.  However, I'm happy with the fit and adhering of the pads at the moment.  I haven't tried them for sound, yet.

Too many decisions at the moment.  3 HifiMANS in the house at the moment: HE-400, HE-5LE and HE-500.  Mmm ... all delicious in their own way.  Last evening, for some reason, I decided to take the HE-400s up to my night time system which is the iPod Classic / Video 5 and the C&C BK amplifier.  In driving the HE-400s with that combo, I could catch some of the brightness that is being talked about in regards to the HE-400s.  However, when being driven by my Yamaha integrated, any questionable frequency issues are brought back into line and makes the HE-400s perform to their fullest, and offer the most pleasing level of sound and performance.

Huh when the heck did you get a pair of HE500's? Never noticed you mention it lol.

May 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #1,659 of 6,017
Quote:

Huh when the heck did you get a pair of HE500's? Never noticed you mention it lol.

Just sort of an irrational, spontaneous purchase. 
wink.gif

You have to understand, I'm right in the middle of my "mid-life" crisis, so fortunately, my emphasis is only on headphones and not red sports car convertibles.  I have a feeling, the sports car would be a lot more costly and wouldn't allow me to get enough use out of it compare to my headphones.

I believe now my mission will be to focus more on the comparisons between the HE-400s and the HE-500s.  Now, if the HE-400s were compared to the HE5-LEs, I think my testing would focus more on a contrast method of review. So far, the HE-500 seems to be a bit more of a full bodied headphone, like the HE-400 as opposed to the HE5-LE, which still provides a good bit of slam, yet has a slightly different focus on the instrument presentation and how the music is laid out for the listener.  I'm not implying the HE-500 is better than the HE-5LE, or vice-versa.  However, the message I'm trying to convey is that the final decision on the HE-500 or HE-5LE will have to depend fully on the buyer / listening depending upon which signature they'd prefer.  Both offer stellar performance - now, it's just a matter of one picking their own poison.

May 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,660 of 6,017
i'm still thinking if i'll buy the he-400. that would be my 3rd hifiman. i have he500 and he300. or to get bifrost first. 

May 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,662 of 6,017
Quote:

HE-400 bright?  Guess I missed those comments. If anything the treble is rolled off.  I haven't tried to drive them with a portable device though, just desktop amps.

May 13, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,663 of 6,017
Quote:
i'm still thinking if i'll buy the he-400. that would be my 3rd hifiman. i have he500 and he300. or to get bifrost first. 

my 2cents - if u have a sick dac, get the 400, if not, get the bifrost. 

Actually my source right now is the dx100. Is. That enough? Or just get a bifrost first?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

May 13, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #1,664 of 6,017
Quote:
HE-400 bright?  Guess I missed those comments. If anything the treble is rolled off.  I haven't tried to drive them with a portable device though, just desktop amps.

Yeah, those were essentially Tyll's initial impressions on InnerFidelity last week, when he received his demo pair.  With my integrated amp, the HE-400s sound delicious.  To me, I had little appreciation for them when driven by my portable gear.  Yet, the same portable gear makes my Fostex T50RPs sing like a bird.  Go figure.

May 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #1,665 of 6,017
Quote:

I think the HE-400 measurements on Innerfidelity show these have a potential to be bright based on some treble peaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back