New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
May 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,666 of 6,017
Objectively speaking they cary that same little treble spike that all other hifiman planars do it seems, and not only is it just at 10khz, but its treble response is elevated up to 15khz.  I don't get the essence of a massive treble peak when listening to music like I do when listening to an hd800 or dt990, but I definitely hear more very high treble response from these than other headphones like d2000.

May 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,667 of 6,017
Quote:
Objectively speaking they cary that same little treble spike that all other hifiman planars do it seems, and not only is it just at 10khz, but its treble response is elevated up to 15khz.  I don't get the essence of a massive treble peak when listening to music like I do when listening to an hd800 or dt990, but I definitely hear more very high treble response from these than other headphones like d2000.

Since the peak is 10-15kHz, I'd call it a pronounced sparkle more than brightness (more related to sub-10kHz treble spikes). 

May 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #1,669 of 6,017
Quote:
i'm still thinking if i'll buy the he-400. that would be my 3rd hifiman. i have he500 and he300. or to get bifrost first. 

Take it from me - for what it's worth, try your HE-500s with the velour pads for a bit.  The sound will warm up a bit more and provide you with ever so slightly better mids (which the HE-500s are known for).  Also, the HE-500s and HE-400s, while appear to have varying efficiency (on paper) - in real life, they are closer than many people think.  I'm able to run my HE-500s on my portable system with good results.  I've tried my HE-400s (with the protein leather pads) and it seemed a bit bright on my portable system.  However, I need to try the HE-400s with the velour pads on that system ... later tonight.

Meanwhile, I have to really give some credit to the Head-Fi forum, here.  Some great advice gets shared - especially the suggestion of using the velour pads on the HE-400s.  I think that for $16.00 (pads + shipping), that has to be about the cheapest improvement or sound modification that I've ever performed.  Usually, upgrades or sound improvements take some Benjamins to accomplish.  
wink_face.gif

May 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,670 of 6,017
thanks for the tip sir. will try to do that. will buy a bifrost then.

May 13, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #1,672 of 6,017
Quote:
Now you guys got me wanting to buy some velours 
tongue_smile.gif

You talk about it like it's an expensive move. 
biggrin.gif
  Just call me a "believer" - but, we all have our unique tastes.  However, I did put the velours on the HE-400s a bit earlier and tried to get some rest.  However, as I mentioned earlier, the HE-400s on my portable / bedroom listening set up, the HE-400s didn't work as well as with my integrated amp.  However, the HE-400s with the velour pads connected to my C&C BK amp, and pushed by a Sansa Fuze provided a very nice sound, that really pleased me.

I guess we should feel quite fortunate that we are offered two pad options with the HifiMANs.  In the headphone industry, it can be a bit rare to come across offerings for both.  The Sennheiser HD-25 I - II, comes to mind.  I'm not sure if there are others, but they are few and far between.  Up to this point, I really disliked velour.  The AKG Studio 240s, the Sennheiser HD-580s, etc. ... made me wish for pleather pads.  However, now, I'm acclimating to the pads with the HifiMANs, and I think they'll work for me and my opposition to velour might be changing.

May 14, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,673 of 6,017
I've always liked velour better anyways for comfort hah. & yeah I know they're cheap but it feels kind of strange buying another set of pads since I just bought 840 & HM5 pads for my T50RP's back to back within the last month haha. I finally broke down and got the 840 pads and not even a week later someone posted the link to the pads for sale from mp4nation after it was seemingly impossible to find them, so of course I had to buy those too, now these come xD.

May 14, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #1,674 of 6,017
Quote:
I've always liked velour better anyways for comfort hah. & yeah I know they're cheap but it feels kind of strange buying another set of pads since I just bought 840 & HM5 pads for my T50RP's back to back within the last month haha. I finally broke down and got the 840 pads and not even a week later someone posted the link to the pads for sale from mp4nation after it was seemingly impossible to find them, so of course I had to buy those too, now these come xD.

So far, I've been lucky by staying with the 840 pads on the Fostex 'phones.  I also realize that MP4Nation sells the HM5 pads "individually" - which I should greatly consider for the Fostex.  They were quite comfortable on the HM5s that I owned, but the HM5 just wasn't a good performer - sonically, so they moved onto greener pastures.

May 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,675 of 6,017
Been away for a few months so not sure if this has been discussed. I was part of the pre-order group that had channel cutout issues. When I first plugged the He-400's in I knew I was in love. The bass impact was incredible. I felt them move air. It was incredible to witness that from a headphone. Then the left channel went out and I had to ship them back to Head-Direct. I was shocked when I listened to the new pair I got. The bass impact I fell in love with was missing. I though maybe it was a burn in issue, so for the past few months I've been letting them "settle in". They are great, and I still prefer them over my HD800's for dubstep/electronic, but I swear they aren't the same headphone! My buddy who listened to them extensively agrees. Has then Gen.1 vs Gen.2 difference been documented, or is this  memory messing with us?

May 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #1,676 of 6,017
Quote:

So far, I've been lucky by staying with the 840 pads on the Fostex 'phones.  I also realize that MP4Nation sells the HM5 pads "individually" - which I should greatly consider for the Fostex.  They were quite comfortable on the HM5s that I owned, but the HM5 just wasn't a good performer - sonically, so they moved onto greener pastures.

The 840 pads are tried and true so you know you can't go wrong staying with em :p. I like the HM5 pads but man they get my ears so hot after a short while. Comfort wise I have to say I liked the Hifiman leathers on the T50RP's best but honestly anything is miles better than the stock pads by far for me. SQ wise it's hard for me to compare because by the time I switch out the pads I forget how the last ones compared and I don't really have the time or patience to switch em back and fourth xD.

Quote:
Been away for a few months so not sure if this has been discussed. I was part of the pre-order group that had channel cutout issues. When I first plugged the He-400's in I knew I was in love. The bass impact was incredible. I felt them move air. It was incredible to witness that from a headphone. Then the left channel went out and I had to ship them back to Head-Direct. I was shocked when I listened to the new pair I got. The bass impact I fell in love with was missing. I though maybe it was a burn in issue, so for the past few months I've been letting them "settle in". They are great, and I still prefer them over my HD800's for dubstep/electronic, but I swear they aren't the same headphone! My buddy who listened to them extensively agrees. Has then Gen.1 vs Gen.2 difference been documented, or is this  memory messing with us?

That's pretty interesting that you mention that. Maybe there is a pretty big variance between each set because I've read a lot of conflicting impressions and have also had conflicting impressions with others. Pretty strange.

May 14, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #1,677 of 6,017
Velour > Leather

I have experience with the leather, now while satisfying to own and look at and soothing to the ego, the leather pads are not designed to match the sonic properties of the velour. The velour gives you the perceived soundstage by pushing the driver as far back as possible resulting in the typical HE-series helmet fit.

The leather really closed the gap and turned my HE's into a close quarters wall of sound akin to Grado. I also lost a bit of bass since at that distance everything is sort of just bouncing around all willy nilly in there.

It's subtle, but it costs more to have worse.

Hygenically, can't really beat leather, they can be wiped down, they get nice and warm and comfy, but again, sound is everything.

May 14, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #1,680 of 6,017
Quote:
Sketchy QC? Not what I wanted to hear. Maybe I'll hold out a bit, in no hurry actually.

I seriously don't think there's much to worry about.  Keep in mind, there have been a few reported issues - yet, quite a few others who have had no issues at all.  In my case, I'm 99% sure that my "self resolution" of sufficiently applying the correct tension by tightening the 7 small bolts / nuts and then applying an adhesive lock, so the bolts and nuts would not come loose again, would have probably been fine for the remainder of their life.  Yet, by the time I had taken my "self resolution" to the degree I did, that was when I had heard from HifiMAN on what involvement (costs) would allow me a proper exchange to a version #2 of the HE-400.  Also, keep in mind, a larger portion of the HE-400 assembly process is more automated than HifiMAN's other orthodynamic offerings.  It was because of this automation, which requires less human labor, that HifiMAN is able to offer the HE-400 at such a competitive price level for an orthodynamic price point.

Now, having both the HE-400s and the HE-500s, I can say with some degree of confidence that while there is a sound difference between the two, the HifiMAN signature is shared to a high degree between the two models.  Now, for the buyer, if they want to opt for the more expensive HE-500, they can.  However, they should also consider what $300 in additional cost might offer them, and if it will be worth it or not.  If I didn't have both to my avail, I will state that I'd be quite content with the HE-400.  But, also having access to the HE-500 provides me with the subtle differences that the higher level model offers, which comes mainly in the mid-range being offered.  While the HE-400 doesn't have a bad mid-range at all, the HE-500 provides the benefit of an more level frequency response over the spectrum.  

I can also state that there is actually a bit of a different signature in the HE-5LE offering vs. the HE-400 and HE-500 models.  The HE-5LE, is very likable in its sound performance.  Yet, I find it to handle the details of separate instruments very, very well.  The details on the HE-5LE are quite refined and offers some benefits in a direction that the HE-400 and HE-500 don't necessarily offer.  Now, as an owner of the three, I don't think there's really a component of either of them that wouldn't make any buyer or user of the model unhappy and not being able to enjoy them to the fullest, with the exception of their open design.  For those who need a more sealed design, they must look elsewhere.  But, if one wants a detailed, open headphone, with great performance, the orthodynamic series from HifiMAN really delivers, if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back