New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
May 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #1,621 of 6,017
Quote:
Nice price on 400.

I am interested in getting the 400. Are the new batches problem free? I don't think I could trust buying these without a warranty.

BTW, can someone suggest a good place to buy where order processing is fast. I'd like to have them asap, thanks....

Yes, the new batches are trouble-free.  The listed site is very good to deal with.  They are located in Montana.  If you order by a certain time in the day, you can get your order shipped on that day.  They also offer UPS overnight devliery for about $29.99, which is an excellent price for such shipping.

I don't think anyone else has the new HE-400 for less than $399 at the moment.  Moon Audio had a sale about 3 weeks back offering a 10% discount.  However, the suppy was quickly depleted and some orders were sent out about a week later when Moon Audio received their shipment from HifiMAN.

May 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #1,622 of 6,017
Quote:

Nice price on 400.

I am interested in getting the 400. Are the new batches problem free? I don't think I could trust buying these without a warranty.

BTW, can someone suggest a good place to buy where order processing is fast. I'd like to have them asap, thanks....

If you order by 2 pm eastern Headroom will ship out same day.  I ordered a HE-500 Monday around 1 pm and had them the next day at 11 am.  Of course I paid for overnight shipping also.

May 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #1,624 of 6,017
Quote:
thanks guys! New ones look to be 1-2 weeks out. A good test of will power for me!

Opt for a pair of the "B" stock HE-400s at HeadRoom for $339 + shipping.  The "B" stock only means that the cans were tried, then returned by a user who didn't like them.  You'll still have your warranty support if you buy them.

May 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,626 of 6,017
Quote:

wow, I would do that. So HiFiman will recognize the warranty? Headroom states no returns. Thank wje.

Edit: just reread the part about "warranties remaining 100% intact..........I think I'll do it if they're still there by the time I order....thanks!

Still, you run a (very small) chance of getting a pair that has physical reasons as to why it was returned by the first owner. Most refurb / B-stock headphones are due to the person not liking the sound signature or just finding a more suitable headphone shortly after purchase, but in the odd case or two it could be due to small flaws in the actual pair that aren't big enough to be recognized by the retailer, things like small paint chip, slight driver imbalance, asymmetry of headband, and whatnot.

Not trying to scare you or anything, just making sure you know that paying that much extra for a new unopened pair gives the extra little bit of insurance.

Personally, my original pair of HE400s were fine, sounded fantastic, but has this weird issue where the right driver becomes quiet for a day if the local weather changes (e.g. high / low pressure system moves in); in addition the impedance measurements seem to be off (could just be my measuring method). Those things added together doesn't mean the pair is unlistenable, but I just want a more perfect issue-free pair so I opted to send it back to Hifiman for replacement. It costed me ~35$ shipping, so I'm pretty much paying full price despite having pre-ordered. A bit of a bummer but hey, just listen to these cans sing makes it all worth it.

May 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,628 of 6,017
Quote:

Still, you run a (very small) chance of getting a pair that has physical reasons as to why it was returned by the first owner. Most refurb / B-stock headphones are due to the person not liking the sound signature or just finding a more suitable headphone shortly after purchase, but in the odd case or two it could be due to small flaws in the actual pair that aren't big enough to be recognized by the retailer, things like small paint chip, slight driver imbalance, asymmetry of headband, and whatnot.

For the record, my HE-400s that I purchased last week from HeadRoom were sent back due to a change in mind about a direction I wanted to head.  I opted for a 2nd pair of HE-400s thinking that I'd use them upstairs.  However, I then tried the Philips "Uptown" and realized for my 2nd need, it was a more realistic headphone.  HeadRoom should have received my HE-400s today and I'll bet they'll be listed soon on their site.  Nothing was wrong with them at all.  If, someone returns a pair of headphones to HeadRoom with pieces missing, or any physical issues that make the headphone appear as if they are not in "brand new" condition, is charged a 15% restocking fee.  So, for the person who tries them out, then decides to return them, it's in their best interest to take very good care of the product and provide everything when they send it back.  Additionally, HeadRoom only permits 3 returns a year, per individual.  After the "3", the purchaser is subject to 15% restocking fees until the year has passed.

Quote:

wow, I would do that. So HiFiman will recognize the warranty? Headroom states no returns. Thank wje.

Edit: just reread the part about "warranties remaining 100% intact..........I think I'll do it if they're still there by the time I order....thanks!

As I mentioned above, my pair that I had for about 5 days and used for approximately 2 hours should be on their site anytime soon.  So, if that initial pair is gone, another one will be posted, soon.  Also, if you're seriously interested, tell them you'd want my pair as I can attest to the condition of them.  Plus, the cable was never even unwound, or the cable ties removed or even used as I used my other cable with the 1/4" termination while I tried them out.

Best of luck.

May 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,630 of 6,017
Quote:

For the record, my HE-400s that I purchased last week from HeadRoom were sent back due to a change in mind about a direction I wanted to head.  I opted for a 2nd pair of HE-400s thinking that I'd use them upstairs.  However, I then tried the Philips "Uptown" and realized for my 2nd need, it was a more realistic headphone.  HeadRoom should have received my HE-400s today and I'll bet they'll be listed soon on their site.  Nothing was wrong with them at all.  If, someone returns a pair of headphones to HeadRoom with pieces missing, or any physical issues that make the headphone appear as if they are not in "brand new" condition, is charged a 15% restocking fee.  So, for the person who tries them out, then decides to return them, it's in their best interest to take very good care of the product and provide everything when they send it back.  Additionally, HeadRoom only permits 3 returns a year, per individual.  After the "3", the purchaser is subject to 15% restocking fees until the year has passed.

As I mentioned above, my pair that I had for about 5 days and used for approximately 2 hours should be on their site anytime soon.  So, if that initial pair is gone, another one will be posted, soon.  Also, if you're seriously interested, tell them you'd want my pair as I can attest to the condition of them.  Plus, the cable was never even unwound, or the cable ties removed or even used as I used my other cable with the 1/4" termination while I tried them out.

Best of luck.

Like I said though, the vast majority of returned headphones tend to be cases like yours, where there is nothing wrong etc.

But again, some might return pairs due to very minute flaws/issues that unless the seller sits down and checks in earnest, they won't notice. For example, if there is a 0.5 dB channel imbalance across the board, a lot of people won't notice it even if they try to, but some with more sensitive hearing could very easily notice how the centrality of the sound is offset to one side by a small amount. These small details could warrant some people to return the cans for refund or replacement, and those who buy these pairs off as B-stock ones may or may not notice those things.

Of course, depending on the consistency and QC, a small fraction new headphones could also have these tiny issues, but I'd like to think that the pairs returned to retailers are more likely to have small issues than spanking new ones.

May 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,634 of 6,017
Quote:

good to hear

Your avatar is priceless Danny..........the Phyliss Diller look is making a real comeback with felines that wear tuxedo's

Haha.  Thanks man.  
beerchug.gif

May 11, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #1,635 of 6,017
$400 is absolutely worth it imo. With its weight, its polished look, and its strong drivers, these headphones really feel like a heavy duty luxury car!

In a way though that's kinda proving to be somewhat of a nuisance for me - I'm almost reluctant to use it, the same way someone would be reluctant to casually use a luxury sports car everywhere 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back