New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Mar 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,726 of 1,933
Quote:
Now the only headphone for the Clemmaster to get is the HE-6s  
biggrin.gif
  Well, maybe not only..

I wish I wish...
I think I'll buy them when I move to the US (October of this year). If I cannot move there, I will buy them sooner.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #1,727 of 1,933
I finished up the work on comleting my custom comfy leather headband for my pair of HE-5LEs.  This band and the associated padding just fits over the existing band and is sewn in place.  This custom one can be removed by removing the stitches on one side and taking it off.  The original headband from HifiMAN will then be there "as-is" and untouched in any way. 

I think I have a shorter distance betewen the top of my head to the top of my ear.  This meant that when the headphone cups for fully pushed up, the ear pads would slightly rest on the tops of my ears, and the pads would leak slightly at the bottoms of my ears as they wouldn't make contact with my skin.  Now, with the extra 1/2"+ in thickness, this issue has been 100% resolved for me with much more comfort and a sealed cup ring around my ear.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,730 of 1,933
Quote:
Nice, where can we order those Wayne?
biggrin.gif

Order?  Hmm ... I don't want to be a MOT.  I want to be a regular member who can contribute to the forum without the grip of death because I'm making money in the headphone industry. 
wink.gif

On another note, I should print the pics out and pack up the headphones to go by a shop that sells leather and see how much they'd need to perform the task.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #1,731 of 1,933
I recently got a Lyr / Biforst pair and did comparison between He-5le and He-400 for Lyr.
In every respect He-5le is noticeably better than He-400.
Especially detail with He-5le is far more distinguishable than with He-400.

Also weight of He-400s is felt heavier and heavier, so that I prefer to He-5le.
I think I need to sell my HE-400s.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #1,732 of 1,933
Quote:
I recently got a Lyr / Biforst pair and did comparison between He-5le and He-400 for Lyr.
In every respect He-5le is noticeably better than He-400.
Especially detail with He-5le is far more distinguishable than with He-400.

Also weight of He-400s is felt heavier and heavier, so that I prefer to He-5le.
I think I need to sell my HE-400s.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,733 of 1,933
Now that I have the HE-500 and the HE-5LE in the house, I have a few moments where I need to scratch my head.  Sure, the HE-5LE is slightly less efficient.  However, both pair of headphones just do things so right.  No sibilants with the female vocals.  Nothing but a great sound signature.  I guess we can just call the HE-400 a "gateway" headphone into the rest of the orthodynamic world.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,734 of 1,933
Quote:
Now that I have the HE-500 and the HE-5LE in the house, I have a few moments where I need to scratch my head.  Sure, the HE-5LE is slightly less efficient.  However, both pair of headphones just do things so right.  No sibilants with the female vocals.  Nothing but a great sound signature.  I guess we can just call the HE-400 a "gateway" headphone into the rest of the orthodynamic world.

What differences do you find in the two (HE-5LE / HE-500)?

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,735 of 1,933
Quote:

What differences do you find in the two (HE-5LE / HE-500)?

As I've indicated in my previous posts on the HE-5LE, I thought that the signature was just ever so slightly better than the HE-500.  Possibly, a small bit of refinement improvement.  The upper mids on the HE-500 appear to have a slight advantage, if that is one seeks.  However, I have repeatedly played various passages of tracks in music where I knew how certain frequencies would respond.  With regards to bass and sub-bass "oomph" the HE-5LE easily matched those of the HE-500 in same level, depth and quality.  The HE-5LE has a special "top end" to the signature.  This is a bit more apparent in various uses of percussion.  It's not a sharp "sizzle", but a nice, refined presence that screams "audiophile bargain" for the prices the HE-5LE typically sell at.  

The $599 HE-5LE from Moon-Audio, if they have stock, should not be overlooked.  Easily, that is an excellent bargain in this hobby ... even when compared to the "B" stock HE-500 @ $559 - $629 or so from Headphone.com when they have those items listed.

The additional power that the HE-5LE needs over the HE-500, is very small, and should not be considered a deal breaker by any means for those who are looking to purchase.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,737 of 1,933
Quote:

As I've indicated in my previous posts on the HE-5LE, I thought that the signature was just ever so slightly better than the HE-500.  Possibly, a small bit of refinement improvement.  The upper mids on the HE-500 appear to have a slight advantage, if that is one seeks.  However, I have repeatedly played various passages of tracks in music where I knew how certain frequencies would respond.  With regards to bass and sub-bass "oomph" the HE-5LE easily matched those of the HE-500 in same level, depth and quality.  The HE-5LE has a special "top end" to the signature.  This is a bit more apparent in various uses of percussion.  It's not a sharp "sizzle", but a nice, refined presence that screams "audiophile bargain" for the prices the HE-5LE typically sell at.  

The $599 HE-5LE from Moon-Audio, if they have stock, should not be overlooked.  Easily, that is an excellent bargain in this hobby ... even when compared to the "B" stock HE-500 @ $559 - $629 or so from Headphone.com when they have those items listed.

The additional power that the HE-5LE needs over the HE-500, is very small, and should not be considered a deal breaker by any means for those who are looking to purchase.

Well you also need to consider ease of amping when you say a headphone is a great bargain or not. HE500 is significantly easier to drive.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,738 of 1,933
Quote:
Well you also need to consider ease of amping when you say a headphone is a great bargain or not. HE500 is significantly easier to drive.

In my post before the last one, I indicated the HE-5LE is slightly less efficient.  I don't think a 2dB efficiency difference will be enough for most orthodynamic-capable amps to not handle the HE-5LE.  

Since I have both.  The HE-5LE doesn't need too much more travel on the volume control to get them to the same level of output.  Paper specs should not be over-analyzed.  The real world needs to be considered, too.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #1,739 of 1,933
In comparison to HE-400, the volume level of my Lyr for HE-5LE is set at 12 oclock, whereas for HE-400 at 11 oclock.
I think there is no huge difference between the two.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,740 of 1,933
Which headphone do you guys think would be better for metal between the 5LE and the 500? my assumption would be the 5LE since ive read people say it has more treble energy than the 500 right? I have AKG K 702' and I am a little bit sensitive to treble but it doesnt really bother me on the 702's unless i really crank up the volume. i listen through a matrix m-stage and a bifrost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back