New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Sep 23, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #1,126 of 1,933
Solude, you should try the HD800 with some nice tube amps like the Zana Deux. I'm of the opinion that the HD800 doesn't truly shine until you pair with TOOBS and I also think that as good as the Beta22 is, it's not the best pairing with the HD800.

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #1,127 of 1,933
Wow, I cannot imagine describing the HE-5LE as being darker than the lCD-2.  I do not find the LCD-2 to be dark in absolute terms at all, but I think the HE-5LE is brighter.

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #1,128 of 1,933
Maybe I'll include the HE-5LE in the round up then.  I've had the HE-5LE on the Concerto and B22 and thought it pretty laid back on both.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #1,129 of 1,933
I just finished my O2 vs HE-5LE showdown.   These are my rough notes, point of the compare for me is to highlight faults since virtues just mean I keep listening and I don't reach for the keyboard.  They were volume matched to 73dB C-weighted using white noise.  Method was to run down half the day on one can, then switch up.  Then switch the order for the second half.

DAY 1

Wasteland
O2
guitars blend, drums well done apart, good weight, echo, detailed but not transparent,  
sibilant a tad, dark etch

HE-5LE
cohesive, distant, good energy, shimmer to cymbals, not sibilant, less air

What You Are
O2
drums take front seat, mid blend, background cymbal roll present but unclear, low  
transparency, attack low on impact, layering not great, dry

HE-5LE
snare/hi hat up front, cymbal roll present, dry, compression, low transparency, sheen

One Day As A Lion
O2
dynamic, full reprod, drums front seat, rhythm/vocal recessed, good prat

HE-5LE
dynamic, full report, cymbals up front, more in line, background level, prat good, weight

Ten Thousand Fists
O2
drums up front, guitar in back, grain to the sound, clarity issue

HE-5LE
hi hat tops, rest in line, ride recessed, grain in recording

Doin' Time
O2
good bite, good skinning, missing weight wee bit, background percussion present,  
wood/metal noticeable

HE-5LE
good bite, weight and attack, low level more noticeable, deep, spot on

Digging The Grave
O2
sucked out midrange, drums full, grain veil, dark and bright, great snare

HE-5LE
hi hat up front, otherwise spot on, distance on vocal

Pardon Me
O2
great opener, guitars recessed, grainy, poor transparency, distance to it

HE-5LE
sweetness to guitar opener, cohesive, compression, dirty, mid hall

TOGGLE

Move On
O2
perfectly layered, something in melody is recessed, vocal and hi hat upfront

HE-5LE
layering well, melody is piano, bass guitar gets front, finger snap more apparent

Earth, Sky & C.
O2
layering spot on, guitar in line with bongo, no complaints

HE-5LE
bongos recessed, sheen, no complaints, compression

Parabola
O2
blended, lined up bass guitar down, more dynamic

HE-5LE
hi hat lit up, compression sheen, balance is good, dry

Got the Life
O2
dynamics are good, lined up guitars recessed, micro cymbal work more evident

HE-5LE
hi hat lit up, little distant, guitars recessed, compression sheen

Blue
O2
good fog effect, murky held, guitar recessed in murky, lined up during rest, impact fuzzy

HE-5LE
distance, fog effect good, murky held, overall feels compressed, smooth but missing  
transparency

DAY 2

Holy Wars
O2
ethereal quality, bass line harder to follow, more bite

HE-5LE
hi hat up front, lacking air, transparency iffy, compression

Passive
O2
weighty, separation better, good balance vocals more forward, background just as recessed

HE-5LE
weighty, something in back difficult to follow, good overall balance, separation lacking,

veil

Fake Plastic Trees
O2
spot on plays to O2 strengths, airy, second half bright hi hat up front, sheen

HE-5LE
vocal recessed, sheen, hi hat up front, bright but missing clarity

Without a Face
O2
opening perfect, no complaints

HE-5LE
hi hat taking front, good dynamic, solid bass line

I Told Him That My Dog Wouldn't Run
O2
opening perfect, full piano, minor lack of bite, blending during complex, etch

HE-5LE
conveys desperation, sweet piano, compression, banjo missing bite, clarity lacking

Whereabouts Unknown
O2
detail inner detail, cymbal/bass line lost to background, good separation, lose detail in
busy period, guitars up front, airy

HE-5LE
balance spot on, transparency lacking, blended

TOGGLE

War Ensemble
O2
airy character, good drive, bass line buried, missing weight otherwise spot on

HE-5LE
more grounded, rounded, ride touch too forward

Live Before You Die
O2
dirty quality, flat, blurred

HE-5LE
darker, lacking transparency but good separation

Falling Down
O2
bright opener, guitar line hard to follow, vocal up front, separation poor

HE-5LE
dark overall, guitar still background, others in line, separation improved

Little Wing
O2
perfect, plays into O2 forte

HE-5LE
more weight, warmer tone, less bite, rounded

Intension
O2
bass line forefront, rubber character less pronounced when dense

HE-5LE
rubber character reprod, spot on

Weighty Ghost
O2
creates room effect, light feel, guitar slightly back

HE-5LE
good balance, grounded, distanced

Short version...
O2 creates a room to play in, has a lighter feel, has a freq resp that recesses guitar a little.
HE-5LE sound like headphones, good weight, warm overall sound with a less attack/presence, freq resp that tends to tip up shimmer/bite of certain cymbals.

Imaging is the O2 strength so no surprises here, also excellent detail retrieval and layering.
The HE-5LE is likely more polarizing since its detail is good, layering is also excellent  but the rounded nature of a recessed presence range combined with a tipped upper treble lowers its overall cohesiveness .  So its both accurate to call it a laid back sound and bright... huh.

Comfort wise, no complaints about the O2.  On the other side, the HE-5LE don't quite feel positioned right away.  Its takes some play before they feel "right".  Also I would love Fang to redo the cable entry to exit more forward, its quite easy to hit the stiff portion of the cable on your shoulder.  Once in place, its fine.

For my genre and listening preference... HE-5LE gets the nods but isn't what I'd term a "walk away from Head-Fi can".  If my preference was classical, jazz, soul or blues the O2 would represent the ideal.  And not in the way the Senn 800 is often characterized.  The O2 works as an all rounder where I found the Senn very focused.

Lots of people are clammering for an O2 vs. LCD-2 slug fest so I will be rerunning this next weekend with two song changes.  Boy am I going to be sick of these songs by the time I've A/Bed the three of them.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #1,130 of 1,933
I much prefer the sound of HE-5LE in balanced mode because of its wider sound stage.   My unbalanced setup sounded a bit bright, it was probably due to the HR-2 amplifier more than the stock cable.  Anyway, that's all gone after switching to Protector amplifier and copper cable.  

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #1,132 of 1,933
Finally gave in to temptation and bought a pair of HE-5LEs. My expectation was that they'd outperform my HD650s and D5000s (markle modded). Without a doubt, they do. The biggest difference is soundstage and instrument separation. They're also very comfortable once the headband stretches to accommodate your head. At first, the two round side pieces seemed to be hitting me just above the temples and I worried that nothing short of some serious stretching would make them work. But fast forward five days and they feel as good as anything I've worn. The ears cups are very roomy, which keeps things cool and adds to the comfort.

I first heard these headphones --- actually the one-step-down HE-5s -- paired with the EF5 at a Head-Fi meet in the spring and they stood out as the best thing I listened to that day -- and there were plenty of HD-800 and Stax in the house. I feel like I owe a debt of gratitude to headphoneaddict for recommending these as my next upgrade. Now I've got to decide whether to sell my HD650s or D5000s (two full-size cans being all I need since I've only got two rigs and one head). Right now I'm thinking I will sell the D5000s. I really like them, but I have a stronger sentimental attachment to the Senns since they were the first decent full-sized cans I bought.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #1,133 of 1,933

Quote:
Finally gave in to temptation and bought a pair of HE-5LEs. My expectation was that they'd outperform my HD650s and D5000s (markle modded). Without a doubt, they do. The biggest difference is soundstage and instrument separation. They're also very comfortable once the headband stretches to accommodate your head. At first, the two round side pieces seemed to be hitting me just above the temples and I worried that nothing short of some serious stretching would make them work. But fast forward five days and they feel as good as anything I've worn. The ears cups are very roomy, which keeps things cool and adds to the comfort.

I first heard these headphones --- actually the one-step-down HE-5s -- paired with the EF5 at a Head-Fi meet in the spring and they stood out as the best thing I listened to that day -- and there were plenty of HD-800 and Stax in the house. I feel like I owe a debt of gratitude to headphoneaddict for recommending these as my next upgrade. Now I've got to decide whether to sell my HD650s or D5000s (two full-size cans being all I need since I've only got two rigs and one head). Right now I'm thinking I will sell the D5000s. I really like them, but I have a stronger sentimental attachment to the Senns since they were the first decent full-sized cans I bought.

One thing to consider is whether you might need an efficient and easy to drive phone, or if you might need a closed phone?  The HD-650 will be open and difficult to drive, and yet I don't think they keep up with the HE-5 LE; so I'm not sure I would keep them if you have to sell one extra phone.

The D5000 might be the second pair to keep since they can serve a different function than the others (efficient and closed).  However, the D5000 don't perform as well as the D7000, and if you need a good closed phone you might consider selling both and getting the D7000.  Or consider a source upgrade if needed.

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #1,134 of 1,933
Larry, have you considered changing your user name to HeadphoneEnabler? In the three days since your post above, I've become more or less resolved to sell my HD650s and markl mod D5000s and putting the proceeds toward either stock or modified D7000s. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #1,135 of 1,933

Quote:
Larry, have you considered changing your user name to HeadphoneEnabler? In the three days since your post above, I've become more or less resolved to sell my HD650s and markl mod D5000s and putting the proceeds toward either stock or modified D7000s. 

Good for you, just don't make the mistake of selling the HE-5 LE in the process.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #1,136 of 1,933
I'm enjoying the HE-5LEs with my LD MKIV (100 mW @ 32 ohm) and PS Audio GCHA (?) but I'm wondering what they'll sound like connected to speaker terminals of a 15W or 75W amplifier (my hypothesis is they'll benefit from the additional current).

Does anyone know whether  I do this without harming the headphones?

Do I need anything more complicated than an XLR to spade pigtail adapter to do this? 

Lastly, if anyone knows the output specs for the GCHA, please share. I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #1,137 of 1,933

Quote:
I'm enjoying the HE-5LEs with my LD MKIV (100 mW @ 32 ohm) and PS Audio GCHA (?) but I'm wondering what they'll sound like connected to speaker terminals of a 15W or 75W amplifier (my hypothesis is they'll benefit from the additional current).

Does anyone know whether  I do this without harming the headphones?

Do I need anything more complicated than an XLR to spade pigtail adapter to do this? 

Lastly, if anyone knows the output specs for the GCHA, please share. I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

It never hurts to try one.  However, I noticed in the photo of the pigtail that you linked us to that the XLR is a 3-pin male, and it needs to be a female 4-pin XLR for the headphones to plug into.

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #1,138 of 1,933
Know where I can get a proper pigtail without spending a small fortune? Fang apparently includes one with the HE-6. Did he ever include one with the HE-5LE? I've been googling like mad to find a stock Female 4-pin XLR to speaker end adapter, but haven't had much luck. How tricky would it be to make one? Could I take a spare TRS female to male extension cord, snip off the plug and connect the bare wires to speaker terminals?

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #1,139 of 1,933
If you're willing to skim back over this thread a few dozen pages at least, someone had posted an affordable one for close to that price, they also had a 10' one for around $50. I cut up my SE adapter up when I was getting impatient, it worked great but then you have to get another one or put it back together at some point if you ever want the option to use it single ended again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back