New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Sep 13, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #1,099 of 1,933
I thought the he-5 cable was silver in colour to the eye like this one seen on 6moons review.

12_big.jpg

The one I had delivered by Ampcity is black in colour and has a silver plug fitted to it. I just wanted to know if I had the right cable? 

Also it would be nice to here thoughts regarding the cloth on the mesh grill, how many people have kept it in place?

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #1,101 of 1,933
Huh?

By "balanced cable out of unbalanced headphone output" you mean headphone cable with 4 wires terminated with classic 1/4" TRS as opposed to 3 wire cable with the same TRS connector?

Theoretically yes - 4 wire cable with ground wires joined at TRS jack (f.e. K701) would have lower impedance to ground than 3 wire cable with ground joined "somewhere in the headphone earcup" (f.e. K702). This means 4 wire cable would have less crosstalk and "better separation".

Practically - none to barely, if at all, audible difference.

...if that was your question at all...
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #1,103 of 1,933
The "everlasting" balanced vs. single ended debate...
wink.gif

Well, I'm a believer that differential ("balanced") drive does something more than just double the power, output impedance, slew rate and cost. To my ears it just sound better  than single ended drive on the same volume levels.

Perhaps it would be enough to say that, after getting Roc, I've reterminated (recabled) all my better headphones to NC4MXX plug. It just controls them better this way. From time to time I try the SE output (via NC4FXX to NP3X adapter) and it is nice and relaxed... but it never lasts - after, say half-hour, off goes the adapter and back to 4 channel drive.

So the short answer would be: Roc sounds better "balanced".

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #1,104 of 1,933
Yes the full amp can sound better than half the amp :wink:  Where balanced v se gets interesting is say a balanced Roc v se B22.  Same price but does balanced beat out better design... no Roc so no answer.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #1,105 of 1,933
I finally get to hear the HE5-LE on a loan from a very good friend and I'm not sure what to say. Well, the positives are they are much less brighter and more balanced than the old HE-5 but on the other side, I don't seem to necessarily prefer it automatically over the Grado HF2 despite the former being way more technically adept. I seem to have an issue with cohesiveness but we will get back to it later after I become familiarized with the sound. Impressions subject to change of course.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #1,106 of 1,933

Quote:
I thought the he-5 cable was silver in colour to the eye like this one seen on 6moons review.

12_big.jpg

The one I had delivered by Ampcity is black in colour and has a silver plug fitted to it. I just wanted to know if I had the right cable? 

Mine is black with a silver jack as well. The one in the picture is probably an aftermarket cable, or possibly a prototype?

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #1,107 of 1,933

Quote:
Mine is black with a silver jack as well. The one in the picture is probably an aftermarket cable, or possibly a prototype?

No that is the HE-5 stock cable, it looks just like the one that came on my factory replacement HE-5: a silver-coated cable with clear insulation, a black Neutrik connector, and a gold TRS plug.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #1,108 of 1,933
^ Interesting. The one I was referring to was the 'Silver HE-5 replacement cable' that came in the HE-5LE box (along with a set of four pins for making a cable). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back