New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Apr 10, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #211 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but Headroom is listing the HE5-LEs in stock:

HiFiMan HE5-LE Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

and ready to ship.
biggrin.gif

i spoke to them today and they said another week, also fang indicated another week in his post that included the photos, but i like your optimism...
icon10.gif

i really hope they put leather or pleather pads on these, something like the J$ man would they look sweet!

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #212 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but Headroom is listing the HE5-LEs in stock:

HiFiMan HE5-LE Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

and ready to ship.
biggrin.gif

If they're available, that's only $20 more than the preordered ones with Headroom's free shipping.... Darn. What to do?

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #213 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they're available, that's only $20 more than the preordered ones with Headroom's free shipping.... Darn. What to do?

theres no way they are available, see my post above. Plus, with only 20 in the first shipment i doubt they will come from anyone but head-direct

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #215 of 1,933
In some ways I am glad that I hadn't discovered this thread sooner. I wouldn't have had the pleasure of going from initial announcement to details of the new driver and pics to boot
biggrin.gif
. Congrats on the release Fang, I thought the HE5 had some special qualities and hopefully the LE version will refine that signature even further.

Looking forward to more adventures in the planar world.

..dB

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #218 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't hold out for your HD800 anymore.
biggrin.gif

I really hope they will surpass all the things I like about the 701 and improve upon some of what I needs. Notably a bit more (3-5db) bass where the 701 tends to roll off. Without losing the AKG definition.

You mentioned they were fun. Sometimes saying a headphone is fun, that's code for them being colored. Like Grados. Is that what you found on the non LE version?

Peace,

Given what I'm hearing from my HE-5's, I think your hopes will be fulfilled. The hE-5 is a very nice improvement on the K701, which I also loved, and wished for a little more bass response. The HE-5 has most of the K701 sparkle, similar comfort and feel on the head, and amazingly detailed and layered bass, which can be extremely deep when called for (listening to the Chesky Head-fi "Open Your Ears" bass test will show this). The HE-5 loses out on headstage though... the K701's were almost unbeatable in that department.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #220 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe there is misunderstanding. Coating thickness of HE-5LE is a little thicker than HE-5. Diaphragm is thinner.

Comparing to HE-5, HE-5LE is:
1. More balanced sound signature: No more harsh treble on most headphone amps.
2. Lighter weight: Use for longer time and will not easily feel tired.
3. More reliable, no more cracking wood problem.
4. Better OFC cable with 4pin XLR (same to K1000) and XLR to 6.5mm converter.

I am posting two pics of HE-5LE with old HE-5 headband and headpads. New Headband and pads will be ready next week. Then we will ship preorders.

That is exactly what I have been begging for in a cable, woo hoo!

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #222 of 1,933
Yup, nice work Fang, I gotto say on paper and by the photo's you have done some impressive work.
I dont understand how you got to the conclusion increasing trace thickness while decreasing mylar thickness would reduce treble issues, but if it does then you pulled off something cool!

I would like to be one who can pre order too, but I dont have that kind of money to spread around heh. If anyone in London UK buys this, please let me have a listen
biggrin.gif
. I can bring around other good orthos for comparison.

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #223 of 1,933
Well those CERTAINLY do look nice! Wow. Nice work by Fang & Co.

I will be staying with my original HE-5's, though. I like their sound, I like the wood, and I invested in a balanced cable for them, so they are here to stay. I have not had any issues with mine at all. But that picture sure is enough to make me want to try to sell the HE-5 and order the LE!

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #224 of 1,933
Wow Fang, those are breathtaking. It looks like Mrs. Immtbiker will have to accept that there will be another Head-Direct product in the house soon.

Please put me down for one (pre-order or not) and I'll take 2 of those stands if they ever become available.
Another great product by a visionary and the hardest working man in the business that I know. It's people like you that keep our hobby interesting. I'm so glad that I met you.

Now you can sleep, my friend.
smile.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #225 of 1,933
Just pre-ordered the headphone. I loved the HE-5's and if these are better, I better have one. I have been waiting to buy HE-5's ever since the Dallas Meet. I loved them more than HD-800.

Now the long wait for the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back