New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Jan 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #1,906 of 1,933
I like the rubberized material, though. And the weight is just fine as well, the HE-500 is borderline too heavy.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,907 of 1,933
Got 5LE 1.5 years which I found extraordinary in world of headfi. Im using pads from Brainwavz hm5 and removed damping from outer side of headhones (thinking of getting grill with big holes - DIY) Sound is more coherent with more realistic and proiminent mids and nice tonality to my ears. Of course differences are subtle but noticeable. I would also wait for new hifiman pads to try. Audeze suede are too expensive for me and not easy to get to EU (shiping cost) to try.
Tried some amps like headpone amp from my friend called Black Pearl (EarStream company) hich was already very good and had plenty of power for 5LE. Tried some speakers amp like tube Yaqin from speaker taps and harman kardon pm655vxi. Yaqin was worst for highs - unnatural sound and quite harsh, Black PEarl was very nice sounding, little on soft side but great highs and overall tonality. harman was most warm sounding but also quite nice but little lack of resolution - not for critical listening but just for everyday.
Finally I found old tube amp Dynaco ST35 which is my end game for headphones and not only. Its great amp and got everyting that good tube construction should have - air, resolution, mids, overall tonality, musicalioty without added warmth or sweetness typical for worst tube construction. You could easily hear what kind instrument is playing is it wood brass or something differenty, etc.
As for the source I ahe tube dac made by my friend whih is now dead and Audio GD 1.32  - very nice Sabre DAC. I would test other USB converter and clock for Sabre chip and then I make decision. Dont feel source is weak in chain though.
Listening is pure satisfaction and I could live with it very long.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #1,908 of 1,933
Got 5LE 1.5 years which I found extraordinary in world of headfi. Im using pads from Brainwavz hm5 and removed damping from outer side of headhones (thinking of getting grill with big holes - DIY) Sound is more coherent with more realistic and proiminent mids and nice tonality to my ears. Of course differences are subtle but noticeable. I would also wait for new hifiman pads to try. Audeze suede are too expensive for me and not easy to get to EU (shiping cost) to try.
Tried some amps like headpone amp from my friend called Black Pearl (EarStream company) hich was already very good and had plenty of power for 5LE. Tried some speakers amp like tube Yaqin from speaker taps and harman kardon pm655vxi. Yaqin was worst for highs - unnatural sound and quite harsh, Black PEarl was very nice sounding, little on soft side but great highs and overall tonality. harman was most warm sounding but also quite nice but little lack of resolution - not for critical listening but just for everyday.
Finally I found old tube amp Dynaco ST35 which is my end game for headphones and not only. Its great amp and got everyting that good tube construction should have - air, resolution, mids, overall tonality, musicalioty without added warmth or sweetness typical for worst tube construction. You could easily hear what kind instrument is playing is it wood brass or something differenty, etc.
As for the source I ahe tube dac made by my friend whih is now dead and Audio GD 1.32  - very nice Sabre DAC. I would test oth[COLOR=6A6A6A]er USB converter and clock for Sabre c[/COLOR]hip and then I make decision. Dont feel source is weak in chain though.
Listening is pure satisfaction and I could live with it very long.

Yeah, I think a tube amp would go very well with the 5LE's. So you're using the speaker outputs to drive the 5LE's? Don't think the ST35 has a headphone jack, does it?

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #1,911 of 1,933
I started a club for all owners of HiFiMan High-End series headphones, come on over and join!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/704528

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #1,912 of 1,933
Seems no one really remembers this headphone. Back when I started here I was recommended these headphones by a fellow headfier. I should have listened. Not a keeper for me though simply because I really want an end game headphone. 

Pros:

Wonderful vocals
High resolution
Great micro details
Very high resolution (oh yeah I said that already)

Decent soundstage for a planar, actually pretty well rounded in soundstage for a planar besting the HE500, LCD2.2F. Probably even better than the HE560 or close. 

Highly transparent
good transients
Good balance from the lows through the upper midrange

Cons:
Lacking a bit of slam in the bass
Unforgiving
Sibilance

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #1,913 of 1,933
  Seems no one really remembers this headphone. Back when I started here I was recommended these headphones by a fellow headfier. I should have listened. Not a keeper for me though simply because I really want an end game headphone. 

Pros:

Wonderful vocals
High resolution
Great micro details

Decent soundstage for a planar, actually pretty well rounded in soundstage for a planar besting the HE500, LCD2.2F. Probably even better than the HE560 or close. 

Highly transparent
good transients

Cons:
Unforgiving
Sibilance

i had one 2x, when it's amped properly, it's dynamite

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,914 of 1,933

Pros:

Wonderful vocals
High resolution
Great micro details

Highly transparent
good transients

Cons:
Unforgiving
Sibilance

i had one 2x, when it's amped properly, it's dynamite

One of my all-time favorites. I regret getting rid of them, but what did I know? I believe I traded them for a Burson amp...

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,915 of 1,933
One of my all-time favorites. I regret getting rid of them, bug what did I know? I believe I traded them for a Burson amp...

and i let them go to someone else, and everytime i see one, i do look hard at it

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #1,916 of 1,933
One of my all-time favorites. I regret getting rid of them, bug what did I know? I believe I traded them for a Burson amp...

and i let them go to someone else, and everytime i see one, i do look hard at it

I want to get them mostly so I have a baseline reference. they were my first true upper-end cans, and would love to hear them balanced with my Liquid Carbon, hear if that bass can be tamed. Mine were like wearing subwoofers on my head!

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,917 of 1,933

Yes, it is just such a excellent pair of headphones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back