New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Apr 29, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,581 of 2,616
Thanks for the reference. From the article, apparently MSEB = "Mage-Sound 8-Ball" <= whiskey-tango-foxtrot word-fog of +/- an 8. So it's a form of digital signal processor, which allows sound "enhancement." I bought the thing to try out the whiz-bang circuitry and probably shouldn't need the WTF8Ball DSP but with it turned on, it does "enhance" the sound for a more exciting image, good or bad, anybody's call. I noticed last night I only needed about 60% of the volume to power the phones. The sound is a little excited because of the dsp. I may grow tired of but for now it's a hoot. Thanks again for the info.

Apr 29, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #2,582 of 2,616
Sorry for the run-on paragraph.

I haven't tired of the AP200/HE560 combo yet but that's probably because the 560s have very revealing highs with a kind of metallic twang that add color to the top end. I also just replaced the multiple-times broken yoke that the 560s are famous for and I am enjoying them without the tape, glue, screws and metal brackets I kludged to hold them together. Having an internal metal band that keeps them from cracking is boss. How do you like your headphones with the 200?

Addendum #1:

"Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa"

John Wayne is reported to have said, “Life’s tough. It’s even tougher when you’re stupid.” At least, it’s a poster.

But:

Sometimes stupidity pays off in odd ways.

I have a basket of HiFiMan headphones I’ve picked up used. I can be patient and wait for somebody to list something really cheap. My current favourite is the HE560, hereinafter referred to as 560. One of the reasons it was cheap, was the headband (1st gen.) is known to be fragile. My least favourite is the HE350 (herein 350) (sort of). When the 560 yoke began to crack, I went through several phases of DIY fixes. I can make this work.

After a few months I realised I’d likely have to do something completely different as it kept breaking in new places or got too thick with glue ons to slide against the speaker units. I took the yoke off the 350 and the 560 and tried to swap them out. The nubs on the 350 yoke were too big to plug into the holes on the 560’s speaker units. Didn’t want to increase the size of the holes or sand down the nubs, so back they went in a jumble.

When I bought the $75 reinforced yoke headband from HiFiM, I put them both back together and away. They share a cable. Somehow the cable went on the 350s. When the Hidizs came, at bed time, I reached in and got the 560s (you’re probably by guessing not, eh?), plugged them in, listened for an hour before going to sleep.

They sounded totally different. I mean totally different. Nothing had ever driven the 560s like this DAP. It was amazing and revolutionary. I was so stoked I decided to leave a message on the head-fi board. Last night I decided to try out a different set of phones to see how this amazing unit drove other power hungry headphones. The first one I came across was the 560. Logic dictated that if the 560 was still sitting in a basket without a cable, something else was plugged into the Hidizs. The 350, which is easy to drive and crazy wild sounding was there. I even did the sticker removal on the 350 for extra bass.

So:

I can’t tell the difference between wood grain with angled focus pads and silver-gray without? When it’s late and you’re ready for bed and you just want to try something new out and not do an engineering study? I guess. No excuses. Stupid, plain and simple. It was also the power of suggestion. I believed I had the 560s because it was my intention to grab them where they should be. Something wasn’t off, I thought. Something was amazingly good. No. Just amazingly dumb. Something was way off and I immediately should have recognised it. Now that its happened, I’ll look a lot harder.

My apologies to the head-fi community for the gaffe. I should be banned and shunned. I did figure I’d better get back and correct my postings before somebody decided to buy a 200 to use on something like a 560. Bad intel, for sure.

But?

Back to business. The AP200 didn’t drive the HE560 worth a darn. (I did turn the DSP off and it did increase the high gain setting but not enough) I mean its okay turned all the way up but they’ll never sound robust and interesting like they do on more powerful DACs. they need juice to become as wonderful as they can be. But, I must say, I haven’t used the 350 much, as I have better, more organic sounding phones but I plugged them back into the AP200 and got a big kick out listening to them and I think the match-up will be permanent. If I hadn’t been so stupid, I would likely have been disappointed with the 200 and not used it much. Now, when I want a bit of fun, I’ll reach for the combo and smile. Right or wrong, I like the duo a lot.

Sometimes stupidity pays off in odd ways. Life is still tough, though. Just saying.

Once again, I apologise.

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #2,583 of 2,616
AP200 is a very above average sounding DAP. Someone, like me, would argue it is fantastic sounding.

Pity about the software support. But those problems don’t affect me and I know if I sell mine, I’d end up regretting it.

May 4, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #2,585 of 2,616
AP200 is a very above average sounding DAP. Someone, like me, would argue it is fantastic sounding.

Pity about the software support. But those problems don’t affect me and I know if I sell mine, I’d end up regretting it.

Agreed. That is why I still keep it even though I couldn’t use the google play anymore.

Yes and that is why I finally treated mine to a new case... a hand crafted real leather Valentinum case. It is so nice to be able to use it with the screen protected.

10285580.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #2,586 of 2,616
For those that got the case for the AP200, I was able to fix the fitment issue by applying clear silicone to the inside of the long thin side case walls and on the short front side below the screen. I left the rest as is. I used a small metal ruler to smear/push a very thin layer of silicone in these areas. So light that I had to apply a second layer as I still felt some fuzz after I applied the first. Obviously let it dry, very minimal time as the layers are so thin but I gave it an hour. Now when putting on the case it required me to push it on instead of it slipping in. So now when I push the power button to start the DAP or to unlock, it does not slip out any longer. This was a very quick fix, less then 10 minutes to apply the silicone. Hope this helps some folks as it was very frustrating for me to use this DAP with the supplied case.

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #2,588 of 2,616
this or fiio m6? I need to play "Tidal" offline. This is used daily as a dx200 backup. hope the sq. is not too far compared to dx200.
Honestly speaking, stay clear of the AP200. It's already abandoned with too many bugs left open.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #2,589 of 2,616
this or fiio m6? I need to play "Tidal" offline. This is used daily as a dx200 backup. hope the sq. is not too far compared to dx200.
Speaking about sound quality, this is my favourite DAP, but honestly, I can't suggest it for TIDAL or other online use..

Jul 31, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #2,590 of 2,616
Speaking about sound quality, this is my favourite DAP, but honestly, I can't suggest it for TIDAL or other online use..

I agree. With the most recent firmware I use mine often in Pure Music mode. The android side of it is useless, but I never cared about any of that. I just play my flac albums from the 400gb card I have in it.

As my photo shows, in my previous post, I even treated my AP200 to a quality leather case a few months ago.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #2,591 of 2,616
To be fair it works really well with Spotify, and isn't too laggy... It is in almost everything else Android based, but if you just use for Spotify and locally stored music it's still up there as a great player.

I also use Kobo reader for ebooks on it whilst listening to music and it works great for that.

I thought about selling it recently as I rarely use it - but then picked it up again the other day and it sounded so good I just couldn't let it go.

There's nothing else on the market under £200 that will do Spotify playback either so this does definitely have it's unique points

I can't comment on Tidal though.

Sep 4, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #2,592 of 2,616
Honestly, my Hidizs is crap. Music sounds ok at best, Dongle off Iphone sounds way better. Campfire Solaris, Comet, Sony IER-M7, Audeze ISINE10, and FH7 all sound better with the standard dongle.

More than anything, No support.

GOOOOOD Luck downloading off Google play on the thing, you'll spend hours and wont be further ahead.

Sep 4, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #2,593 of 2,616
Honestly, my Hidizs is ****. Music sounds ok at best, Dongle off Iphone sounds way better. Campfire Solaris, Comet, Sony IER-M7, Audeze ISINE10, and FH7 all sound better with the standard dongle.

More than anything, No support.

GOOOOOD Luck downloading off Google play on the thing, you'll spend hours and wont be further ahead.

Haven't tested the AP80 with IEMs but it sounds great with various over-ear headphones. Gain is set correctly?

Edit: APOLOGIES, wrong thread.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #2,594 of 2,616
Ok.

I have tried using android mode and Google Music for the first time in a while on the latest firmware - and OMG. It was such a horrid experience! There was this lag in loading/searching/playing songs that was awefully unuseable.

But I think I have found where the problem is - The background process limit is set to "1".

I've changed it to "Standard Limit" and it seems to be back to how I remembered. But you have to change this setting in the "Developer Options" under settings.

Firstly, before you try any of this you need to overcome the "Play Store" issue - which is solved by downloading an older firmware and flashing that and logging in to get Google Play Services working. Then upgrade to the latest firmware.

If you've done this, the next step is to enable "Developer options" for android.
https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options

Then when you go into this settings area, you will see at the bottom "Background Process Limit" - which you should try to set to "Standard".

See if that helps the experience.

edit: Also, there is a setting called "Force GPU rendering" which I enabled too.
edit2: And when you reboot, you will need to apply the setting again because it reverts back.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #2,595 of 2,616
Ok. Update.

Play store won’t work with firmware 1.0.

For some reason this v1.0 firmware user experience is really bad.

So I’ve downgraded to 0.2.6beta firmware and overall it feels smoother and play store works.

Sound quality is slightly worse though. Maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back