New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Mar 10, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #2,566 of 2,616
Does AP200 supports Tidal offline?
Older firmware versions used to support Tidal offline, but saving only in the internal memory, not on the external sd card. Latest firmware and/or old Android version of the AP200 is not compatible with the Google Play store. You can't download anymore any apps or update the old ones.

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #2,570 of 2,616
Hi, anyone think if we can update the Android software. it is seriously too old @ 5
They already abandoned this project. They don't give a thing about the Kickstarter supporter. My friend sent a player to them no news or what so ever.

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #2,571 of 2,616
Two things for anyone still using the AP200 or following this forum... Getting apps to download again on Firmware 1.0 (not all apps work but it's better than no apps) & I found a glitch with the EQ.
A Facebook user was able to do something that I didn't think should have worked but... Google Play store is able to download some apps and the message about Play services not working has gone away. These are the steps they mentioned which I tried with some limited success. I am able to use PowerAmp again but some apps just fail to install after download like Google Drive...So what you have to do:
  1. From FW v1.0 factory reset the device
  2. Roll back to using the FW v0.28
  3. Let "Google Play Services" update all over again
    1. You can either force them if you know how or just simply wait for the services to update, Wifi is required either way though.
  4. (Suggested) download all the apps you need/want
  5. Upgrade to FW v1.0
So far I can say that PowerAmp has updated fine on FW v1.0 but Google Drive is giving me the "something went wrong". Since I mainly use the AP200 as a local player I'm okay with this but this will vary from user to user.

The EQ problem is a little more tricky. To reproduce:
  1. Use no EQ
  2. Reboot the AP200
  3. In the Hiby app change the EQ to custom and mess with the EQ
  4. Jack up the sub-bass to bass frequencies (31, 62, 125) and lower the preamp (-12dB)
    1. At this point any bass heavy track will cause the headphones/IEMs you are using to distort/clip really bad
    2. Some might not experience this, however I know there are a few people who have said they experience the same thing I do.
  5. Go back to the player screen then go back to the EQ screen
  6. Switch to any other pre-set EQ
    1. I usually use Classical
  7. Jack up the sub-bass to bass frequencies (31, 62, 125) and lower the preamp (-12dB)
    1. At this point the problem should mostly be gone, however if the track is extremely bassy you might need to reduce the low end frequencies to something around 6-7.5 on the EQ
    2. This is expected as this would happen on any other EQ.
NOTE: This fix is temporary, if the device is rebooted steps 3-7 will need to be repeated. I do not have this issue with PowerAmp (or any other player like Neutron), I assume this is a Hiby app issue but possibly only on the AP200.

Hope this helps someone somewhere!

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #2,572 of 2,616
Thanks, I need to download Spotify app again and that's the way....

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #2,574 of 2,616
It seems the Google Play store doesn’t not work anymore with AP200 (mine still has 2.6 beta FW).
However, it still sounds so good with Massdrop NobleX via Ares II 4wire. Love it!
Mine doesn't work since long. Trying to download any apps gives an error 507 and trying to play Tidal getting popups about updating Google services.
However, I was wondering if it would be possible to download and install apk files, like the latest FiiO M series daps do. FiiO modified their android OS, having the same issues with the X5 III and X7 II previously. Didn't have time yet, but maybe deleting Google account will allow to install third party apps, in my case mostly interested in Tidal, without Google limitations?

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #2,575 of 2,616
Mine doesn't work since long. Trying to download any apps gives an error 507 and trying to play Tidal getting popups about updating Google services.
However, I was wondering if it would be possible to download and install apk files, like the latest FiiO M series daps do. FiiO modified their android OS, having the same issues with the X5 III and X7 II previously. Didn't have time yet, but maybe deleting Google account will allow to install third party apps, in my case mostly interested in Tidal, without Google limitations?

I you got time please let me know how to install 3rd party apps. Thank you.

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #2,576 of 2,616
I agree, it's so satisfying to listen with.. It beat my Schiit modi as desktop DAC, too

Apr 23, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #2,577 of 2,616
I agree, it's so satisfying to listen with.. It beat my Schiit modi as desktop DAC, too

I do love using mine in pure music mode. Ever since the last update it has been much nicer to use so I finally put a 400GB card in it instead of the 128GB that I was using. I was happy when folder play through was finally implemented.

The google issues don't affect me because I only played around with the android side of it when I first received it. Then I just kind of ignored it and stayed in pure music mode.

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #2,578 of 2,616
Just want to weigh in on the AP200. I like to read reviews on equipment before I buy. So if that helps me, maybe I can pass it forward. Anyway, I took the plunge on a used AP200 on Fleabay from somebody who was frustrated with trying to use his Cord Mojo as an external amp with only older firmware working properly. beta .0280, I think was the only one that responded to the Mojo. The thing is/has been buggy, eh? Android apps, Playstore, etc. Various cable recognition, etc. Wifi, bluetooth, and on and on. I read about the 1.0 firmware's improved Hiby (& pure music mode HIby) player and thought I'd give it try at a sacrifice price as a pure digital audio player. I don't want to stream a service, use it as a DAC, etc. I just want something that sounds interesting and maybe a bit different. The specs were impressively interesting if not downright weird with two discrete channels but no balanced output. Solid gold plated stuff, too, eh? Why not. I downloaded 1.0 firmware and upon receiving the DAP, I found a micro sim with music, copied the firmware to the root directory and started her up. Android loads first the then you get a modal screen asking if you want to upgrade the system. After loading the firmware and waiting for it to update the operating system (which took a few minutes - I did fully charge the battery first, eh?), it did it's job and then asked me if I'd like it to delete the new firmware file from the card, which I thought was a nice touch. I rebooted, started up Hiby, went to the menu and told the unit to update it's library of music. Not a big card but I was impressed with the speed of the update. My Pono can take days, it seems. This took mere seconds but not a big card. I fiddled with it a bit, sliding on the left screen from Hiby and turned on the MSEP mode (don't even know what that is, but hey, let's try it) and left the sliders at their default, center position. The volume was about at about 4/5s. My online reading led me to believe that the player didn't have enough power to push high demand headphones but I plugged in the HiFi man HE560s anyway and chose the random play mode (shuffle all). And it did it's job and played my music randomly. Its got a folder option (which I'll use) but I often just want to run it in shuffle when I sit down to listen. The sound was IMHO amazingly revealing, clear, strong and full. Song after song I found the soundstage to be decent and the drive and clarity to be really good. The highs, the mids and the bass were separate, full and entertaining. The HE560s do normally require a decent amount of power to push them to sound robust and, again, IMHO this player works fine with them. Now, is it frustrating to continually touch the touch screen to get the system to recognise my input? Yes. But if I hold my mouth just right and hit the screen 5-6 times (sometimes) for the smaller icons, sooner or later it will respond. Swipes work okay, it seems. Big icons too. But on the edge of the screen the smaller icons don't respond well. What, you wanted perfection? Sound-wise, it compares favorably with my better DAPs and I have several good ones. I got it cheap because of its flaws, so I can't complain about the screen (I mean I can but like Chickenman, I knew what I was getting into, so it's tacky). Anyway, if you want to hear your music played in a revealing, dynamic and strong way, you might want to get one of these used, upgrade to 1.0, go pure music and have some fun and get to pound your finger on the screen over and over like playing the lottery. Go for it.

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #2,579 of 2,616
Just want to weigh in on the AP200. I like to read reviews on equipment before I buy. So if that helps me, maybe I can pass it forward. Anyway, I took the plunge on a used AP200 on Fleabay from somebody who was frustrated with trying to use his Cord Mojo as an external amp with only older firmware working properly. beta .0280, I think was the only one that responded to the Mojo. The thing is/has been buggy, eh? Android apps, Playstore, etc. Various cable recognition, etc. Wifi, bluetooth, and on and on. I read about the 1.0 firmware's improved Hiby (& pure music mode HIby) player and thought I'd give it try at a sacrifice price as a pure digital audio player. I don't want to stream a service, use it as a DAC, etc. I just want something that sounds interesting and maybe a bit different. The specs were impressively interesting if not downright weird with two discrete channels but no balanced output. Solid gold plated stuff, too, eh? Why not. I downloaded 1.0 firmware and upon receiving the DAP, I found a micro sim with music, copied the firmware to the root directory and started her up. Android loads first the then you get a modal screen asking if you want to upgrade the system. After loading the firmware and waiting for it to update the operating system (which took a few minutes - I did fully charge the battery first, eh?), it did it's job and then asked me if I'd like it to delete the new firmware file from the card, which I thought was a nice touch. I rebooted, started up Hiby, went to the menu and told the unit to update it's library of music. Not a big card but I was impressed with the speed of the update. My Pono can take days, it seems. This took mere seconds but not a big card. I fiddled with it a bit, sliding on the left screen from Hiby and turned on the MSEP mode (don't even know what that is, but hey, let's try it) and left the sliders at their default, center position. The volume was about at about 4/5s. My online reading led me to believe that the player didn't have enough power to push high demand headphones but I plugged in the HiFi man HE560s anyway and chose the random play mode (shuffle all). And it did it's job and played my music randomly. Its got a folder option (which I'll use) but I often just want to run it in shuffle when I sit down to listen. The sound was IMHO amazingly revealing, clear, strong and full. Song after song I found the soundstage to be decent and the drive and clarity to be really good. The highs, the mids and the bass were separate, full and entertaining. The HE560s do normally require a decent amount of power to push them to sound robust and, again, IMHO this player works fine with them. Now, is it frustrating to continually touch the touch screen to get the system to recognise my input? Yes. But if I hold my mouth just right and hit the screen 5-6 times (sometimes) for the smaller icons, sooner or later it will respond. Swipes work okay, it seems. Big icons too. But on the edge of the screen the smaller icons don't respond well. What, you wanted perfection? Sound-wise, it compares favorably with my better DAPs and I have several good ones. I got it cheap because of its flaws, so I can't complain about the screen (I mean I can but like Chickenman, I knew what I was getting into, so it's tacky). Anyway, if you want to hear your music played in a revealing, dynamic and strong way, you might want to get one of these used, upgrade to 1.0, go pure music and have some fun and get to pound your finger on the screen over and over like playing the lottery. Go for it.

Nice. Now I think I might try mine tonight with some headphones that I would not expect to work well with this player. Been listening with too many buds and IEMs lately and neglecting my headphones.

BTW, touch screens don't like me so I use a stylus. No problems...even near the edges.I do use my finger for some things like scrolling through my folders which is very fast.

Just a suggestion but breaking a long post into paragraphs helps people like me with old eyes to read it more easily :)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #2,580 of 2,616
Just want to weigh in on the AP200. (...) I fiddled with it a bit, sliding on the left screen from Hiby and turned on the MSEP mode (don't even know what that is, but hey, let's try it) and left the sliders at their default, center position. The volume was about at about 4/5s. My online reading led me to believe that the player didn't have enough power to push high demand headphones but I plugged in the HiFi man HE560s anyway and chose the random play mode (shuffle all).
Hi. Read the part about MSEB in this AP80 review : https://headfonics.com/2018/08/hidizs-ap80-review/
It's an interesting sound enhancement / processing, and there are few good ones. It can alleviate sound issues with older (or poor quality) recordings, or give more clarity, or more bass, without impacting all other frequencies. But If you have a good source (quality recordings) and qualitative headphones, you probably don't need it most of the time. It also sets your gain lower, so that the device doesn't clip if you max everything. So if you let the sliders in the neutral position, just turn it off, especially with power hungry/high impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back