New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Oct 21, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,081 of 2,616
@IryxBRO and @Hawaiibadboy, with the newer FW has the sound signature changed significantly from your reviews? Or was the newer FW more android stability and functionality fixes?

It is more stable. SQ changes between firmwares can be subjected to a lot of bias because there is a large time gap in testing it. If anything, it is getting better!

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #1,082 of 2,616
@IryxBRO and @Hawaiibadboy, with the newer FW has the sound signature changed significantly from your reviews? Or was the newer FW more android stability and functionality fixes?

I naven't noticed changes in sound after the last FW update but there were many changes to correct some major and minor FW issues. Waiting for the next update cause there are still some bugs left.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #1,089 of 2,616
Seems that I've found the best pair for perfectly flat AFR of Hidizs AP200 flagship HiRes portable DAP - it is the legendary studio monitoring headphones Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Finding new details in many favorite songs... I would probably try to review some epic battle: legendary Audio-Technica ATH-M50 V/S fast evolving Yamaha HPH-MT220 soon.

_DSC7900a.jpg

_DSC7923.jpg

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #1,092 of 2,616
IryxBRO
Wow, friend!
Thanks for your recommendation!
Just ordered to listen to this model in the audio salon. (after the arrival of my AP200).
How do you think, does it make sense to listen to ATH-M40 or ATH-M30?
Did you try Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro?

Let me tell what I have:

1. Yamaha RH-5ma (studio monitor headphones) - very good sound but drivers are small and almost no low bass present. Very bright and sparkling top.
2. Audio-Technica M20x (studio, cheapest in series) - good, detailed sound but obvious accent on lows (hollow), kind of very pronounced mids and a bit lacking highs.
3. Audio-Technica M30x (studio) - a bit better than M20x but still lacking mid bass dynamics and highs.
4. Audio-Technica M50 (studio) - very balanced sound with excellent mid bass dynamics. Lows, mids and highs produced equially detailed.

I would say that among all mentioned above ATH-M50 is the best match. But I like to have the most precise (analytical) sound therefore - if AP200 has flat AFR I would prefer the most flat AFR from the headphones.
Sorry, never tried Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro...

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,093 of 2,616
Seems that I've found the best pair for perfectly flat AFR of Hidizs AP200 flagship HiRes portable DAP - it is the legendary studio monitoring headphones Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Finding new details in many favorite songs... I would probably try to review some epic battle: legendary Audio-Technica ATH-M50 V/S fast evolving Yamaha HPH-MT220 soon.

Let me tell what I have:

1. Yamaha RH-5ma (studio monitor headphones) - very good sound but drivers are small and almost no low bass present. Very bright and sparkling top.
2. Audio-Technica M20x (studio, cheapest in series) - good, detailed sound but obvious accent on lows (hollow), kind of very pronounced mids and a bit lacking highs.
3. Audio-Technica M30x (studio) - a bit better than M20x but still lacking mid bass dynamics and highs.
4. Audio-Technica M50 (studio) - very balanced sound with excellent mid bass dynamics. Lows, mids and highs produced equially detailed.

I would say that among all mentioned above ATH-M50 is the best match. But I like to have the most precise (analytical) sound therefore - if AP200 has flat AFR I would prefer the most flat AFR from the headphones.

With all due respect I think the M50X are not something I'd call balanced. They are one of two headphone I actually returned just before the return policy ended.

Not sure how other here feel about it, but I though they where over-hyped.

But this is a very subjective hobby, obviously.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,094 of 2,616
IryxBRO
Wow, friend!
Thanks for your recommendation!
Just ordered to listen to this model in the audio salon. (after the arrival of my AP200).
How do you think, does it make sense to listen to ATH-M40 or ATH-M30?
Did you try Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro?

I replaced my M50X with the DT770 80 ohms version and was much happier. Offered a fun v-shaped sound but not as extreme as the M50x, which I found had too much treble (harsh), a little too recessed mids/vocals (DT770 80 ohms was better here) and a good amount of bass. I don't mind extra bass or a v shaped sound, but the M50 was too much for me. I also though the DT880 sounded cleaner.

So I had a very different experience to IryxBRO. Hopefully you can try and let your ears decide.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,095 of 2,616
I replaced my M50X with the DT770 80 ohms version and was much happier. Offered a fun v-shaped sound but not as extreme as the M50x, which I found had too much treble (harsh), a little too recessed mids/vocals (DT770 80 ohms was better here) and a good amount of bass. I don't mind extra bass or a v shaped sound, but the M50 was too much for me. I also though the DT880 sounded cleaner.

So I had a very different experience to IryxBRO. Hopefully you can try and let your ears decide.

Yep. This is all very subjective. I prefer to stay away from judging different equipment and I'd rather try to understand whether some equipment give me new impressions in the same music material. With ATH-M50 I've noticed new things in the songs I often listen to with other headphones. So, in my lineup - those are the best nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back