New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Aug 12, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #721 of 2,616
So if I didn't like the experience with a fiio x5III (back plate warm in pocket, questionable ui and so on and so forth) will I be any better faring with the hidizs? How's battery life going?
Thanks
That's a complicated question, all I can say is that they are different things. AP200 gets less warm while out, but I haven't tested how warm it gets in a pocked. The UI is more Android and it relies on Hiby, which is what you'll find with many upcoming DAPs

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #722 of 2,616
Hi everybody! So I've had this Hidizs AP200 for a few days and been listening exclusively. Here are my first impressions and then some #unboxing style pictures.
  • Sound is neutral and detailed
  • Good soundstage
  • Driving power is not high, these are for IEMs only. The HiFiMAN RE2000 sounds good out of these, but it requires most of the volume meter on high gain to get there.
  • No hiss with Noble Kaiser Encore
  • Has an outdated version of HiBy out of the box. I'll be updating this to the new HiBy link capable version--we'll see if that feature comes in the future.
  • There are known bugs at this time, but HiBy is working on them.
  • I'm getting a WiFi connection bug on my home network but not at work, which is weird.
  • Volume and skip track controls are integrated
  • OS is pretty vanilla Android--this is good
  • Google Play store is certified, other Android players at all need to make sure they do this (I'm looking at you, Echobox and Audio Opus)
  • Apps install without problem.
  • It's a good thing they are upgrading the aluminum to 32 GB, as 5GB of the 8GB on this production sample were already used by the OS.
  • There is no native player, HiBy comes installed by default. ES File Explorer is also installed by default
  • The clear plastic 'case' is not durable enough and feels super cheap. I've told Hidizs this, so hopefully they will fix this before the player hits the mass market
  • The player came with screen protectors installed, but they are not oleophobic, which means this thing looks like a greasy mess in about five minutes. I've advised Hidizs to put better screen protectors on and offer a tempered glass protector.
  • The touch screen is responsive and the resolution is fine
  • The player is very light in hand and easy to fit in coat pockets.
  • Volume can be adjusted in pocket
  • Brief Bluetooth tests were positive (need larger sample size and longer tests)
  • Value for money is outstanding at $239 for the 32GB aluminum one on Kickstarter
Pictures! I am in the middle of sorting out a new job and house move, so haven't had time to edit these or take any fancy shots, but this gives and idea of what is currently in the box. I don't imagine this will change much, but there may be some slight component upgrades. Essentially the box is the standard Chinese textured black paper variety. This always looks good and professional. I like these kind of boxes. The inside is well organized and there is still room for more stuff in the box, so maybe we'll see some surprises in the last days of the kickstarter campaign.

*Where the heck did my pictures go? I hate this new upload pathway!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/873263862/hidizs-ap200-the-next-generation-android-hifi-musi

Speaking of the Kickstarter. I think they are being damn fools offering three memory size versions. They should just offer two: 32GB aluminum and 128GB Stainless Steel. Offering too many options is a recipe for delays and for increased component costs. They already have a ton of colour and finish options. Cool it with the optionals @Hidizsofficial.

Attachments

• _1350339.JPG
    _1350339.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • _1350343.JPG
    _1350343.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • _1350349.JPG
    _1350349.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #724 of 2,616
Driving power is not high, these are for IEMs only. The HiFiMAN RE2000 sounds good out of these, but it requires most of the volume meter on high gain to get there.

Thanks for your first impressions, good report... in regards to the driving power, that’s a bit of a concern, as I believe the RE2000 are about 60Ω and the AP200 should support headphones up to 150Ω; it must be very hard to drive at the high end then of the scale?

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #725 of 2,616
Did anyone received the stainless steel version? My review unit is already in UK in shall be with me very soon.:)
If you are getting stainless steel, consider yourself lucky. I'm sure you'll enjoy the AP200!

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #726 of 2,616
Thanks for your first impressions, good report... in regards to the driving power, that’s a bit of a concern, as I believe the RE2000 are about 60Ω and the AP200 should support headphones up to 150Ω; it must be very hard to drive at the high end then?
The Chord Mojo says it drives 600ohm, that's a lie. Players often drive about half the ohm load they claim, almost universally, actually. As others have pointed out to me when discussing the Aune M1s on Massdrop, headphone resistance isn't the only factor. I'll give these a test with the RHA CL series down the line, but I don't think they'll adequately drive them. For most users this will be fine, as many headphones are designed to be driven off a phone now.

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #727 of 2,616
Hi everybody! So I've had this Hidizs AP200 for a few days and been listening exclusively. Here are my first impressions and then some #unboxing style pictures.
  • Sound is neutral and detailed
  • Good soundstage
  • Driving power is not high, these are for IEMs only. The HiFiMAN RE2000 sounds good out of these, but it requires most of the volume meter on high gain to get there.
  • No hiss with Noble Kaiser Encore
  • Has an outdated version of HiBy out of the box. I'll be updating this to the new HiBy link capable version--we'll see if that feature comes in the future.
  • There are known bugs at this time, but HiBy is working on them.
  • I'm getting a WiFi connection bug on my home network but not at work, which is weird.
  • Volume and skip track controls are integrated
  • OS is pretty vanilla Android--this is good
  • Google Play store is certified, other Android players at all need to make sure they do this (I'm looking at you, Echobox and Audio Opus)
  • Apps install without problem.
  • It's a good thing they are upgrading the aluminum to 32 GB, as 5GB of the 8GB on this production sample were already used by the OS.
  • There is no native player, HiBy comes installed by default. ES File Explorer is also installed by default
  • The clear plastic 'case' is not durable enough and feels super cheap. I've told Hidizs this, so hopefully they will fix this before the player hits the mass market
  • The player came with screen protectors installed, but they are not oleophobic, which means this thing looks like a greasy mess in about five minutes. I've advised Hidizs to put better screen protectors on and offer a tempered glass protector.
  • The touch screen is responsive and the resolution is fine
  • The player is very light in hand and easy to fit in coat pockets.
  • Volume can be adjusted in pocket
  • Brief Bluetooth tests were positive (need larger sample size and longer tests)
  • Value for money is outstanding at $239 for the 32GB aluminum one on Kickstarter
Pictures! I am in the middle of sorting out a new job and house move, so haven't had time to edit these or take any fancy shots, but this gives and idea of what is currently in the box. I don't imagine this will change much, but there may be some slight component upgrades. Essentially the box is the standard Chinese textured black paper variety. This always looks good and professional. I like these kind of boxes. The inside is well organized and there is still room for more stuff in the box, so maybe we'll see some surprises in the last days of the kickstarter campaign.

*Where the heck did my pictures go? I hate this new upload pathway!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/873263862/hidizs-ap200-the-next-generation-android-hifi-musi

Speaking of the Kickstarter. I think they are being damn fools offering three memory size versions. They should just offer two: 32GB aluminum and 128GB Stainless Steel. Offering too many options is a recipe for delays and for increased component costs. They already have a ton of colour and finish options. Cool it with the optionals @Hidizsofficial.

Woah, cool impressions, I agree with most of them, but...

Thanks for your first impressions, good report... in regards to the driving power, that’s a bit of a concern, as I believe the RE2000 are about 60Ω and the AP200 should support headphones up to 150Ω; it must be very hard to drive at the high end then of the scale?

But... I do think that the driving power is quite good actually. It could easily drive Signature Studio and my other headphones :darthsmile:

In fact, AP200 could drive all my IEMs and headphones, although I do suspect that something is going on, I think I'll take this to PM with glassmonkey to explain my thoughts :smile_phones:

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #729 of 2,616
Does anyone know of a online store that sell legitimate but cheap MicroSD cards that also deliver to Australia?

Trying to hunt down the lowest price 256GB MicroSD. I was hoping @Hidizs Hk may have provided a compatibility or preferred brands/ cards list, but will assume any brand should be fine?

Cheers.

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #730 of 2,616
Does anyone know of a online store that sell legitimate but cheap MicroSD cards that also deliver to Australia?

Trying to hunt down the lowest price 256GB MicroSD. I was hoping @Hidizs Hk may have provided a compatibility or preferred brands/ cards list, but will assume any brand should be fine?

Cheers.
A 200GB will likely be a good bit lower cost. Not sure why, but the extra 56GB is fairly expensive...

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #732 of 2,616
If you are getting stainless steel, consider yourself lucky. I'm sure you'll enjoy the AP200!

I've been going back and forth between the 32gb aluminum & 64gb stainless steel. Do you feel it's worth the ~$70 price jump? I'm mainly concerned with durability as opposed to the premium materials/back plates. Speaking of, is the volume button plastic or metal? Also, in regards to the volume buttons also functioning as track forward/back buttons; how have they held up? I don't really expect you to just sit down and double click the buttons all day... :wink: Thanks for all the feedback you guys have provided, I'm glad @Hidizs Hk is being so responsive to the community.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #734 of 2,616
I've been going back and forth between the 32gb aluminum & 64gb stainless steel.

Same here. Currently I'm resting on SS because I really don't like glass backs on devices, no matter how pretty they look after they've just been cleaned. I figure wood will also provide a better grip and the extra storage will be nice, and I could probably throw the 64gb SD card that comes with it in with my Fiio X3 II if I decide to sell it. I'm not sure I'll like the look of the SS better than the Black Aluminum though, since it's hard to tell in their pictures if I'm looking at a SS or Silver Aluminum player when it's not a rendered image.

That's why about four days back I asked if they could provide some better pictures showing the visual difference between the players, so I could get a better idea on the difference between the SS and Aluminum. They said they would in a future update, but nothing so far, and the only thing anyone seems to have for testing is Black or Blue Aluminum.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #735 of 2,616
Same here. Currently I'm resting on SS because I really don't like glass backs on devices, no matter how pretty they look after they've just been cleaned. I figure wood will also provide a better grip and the extra storage will be nice, and I could probably throw the 64gb SD card that comes with it in with my Fiio X3 II if I decide to sell it. I'm not sure I'll like the look of the SS better than the Black Aluminum though, since it's hard to tell in their pictures if I'm looking at a SS or Silver Aluminum player when it's not a rendered image.

That's why about four days back I asked if they could provide some better pictures showing the visual difference between the players, so I could get a better idea on the difference between the SS and Aluminum. They said they would in a future update, but nothing so far, and the only thing anyone seems to have for testing is Black or Blue Aluminum.

64gb because you can sync the maximum files for Spotify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back