New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,562 of 2,616
Hello. Maybe not the best place in this thread, but have you already compared the Mojo (+ any transport) with an audiophile smartphone 'alone' with its internal DAC (as LG V20/V30, or Meizu Pro 5, or vivo xplay) ? I'm not so convinced of the Hidizs AP60 + Mojo combo, compared to the ESS DAC smartphones (using custom in ears). Still waiting for the arrival of my AP200 though...
edit : @Lcdxiii : thanks for the pictures. We chose the same finition. Happy also to guess that you have no bubbles under the screen.

not to mention that Hidizs displayed pictures of the AP200 linked to a Mojo in their marketing on Kickstarter.

@oliwek2 No prob. I installed the included screen protector right away upon unboxing the unit. Currently enjoying the unit and hoping for future firmware updates and bug fixes. Sent some feedback to Hidizs as well.

Given the fact that this is not a pure android device, there are limitations so it is really not fair for this DAP to be compared with any current Android mobile devices. Yes it is a bit slower but is tolerable.

All I can say with the 64gb with CNC SS variant build is that it is really superb for me being my first DAP. It is like built to last.

The details are really good and it is not distorted even at MAX volume with High gain ON.

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,563 of 2,616

I have issues with updating latest FW but not with streaming content to the device like vids n stuff. Not sure what my speed is but I am in Japan so probably fast

Could it be possible that the material (stainless steel vs aluminum) is the cause for the slowdown? It seems to me those having issues have the ss version (just what i noticed but i could be wrong, i haven't tagged every complaint about slow connections)

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,564 of 2,616
Could it be possible that the material (stainless steel vs aluminum) is the cause for the slowdown? It seems to me those having issues have the ss version (just what i noticed but i could be wrong, i haven't tagged every complaint about slow connections)

It can be one of the reason since metal (steel) can interfere signals. But i'm not 100% sure if that is the only thing causing the slowdown.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #1,567 of 2,616
I do not think that either SS or Aluminum would intefere the signals since their purpose is a damping factor.

I believe they could, since they are not meant for dampening but as the frame for the electronics inside. Ifi iOne changed their back and front plate from aluminum to plastic for better Bluetooth range in the recent models, so I'm guessing materials can interfere with signal strength. And I do notice in general that the weaker the wifi signal the slower and more inconsistent it is. Plus hawaiibadboy (who I know has the aluminum version) isn't having the same problem with wifi as the rest of the people (who I assume got the 64GB version or higher and that's automatically with a stainless steel frame.) granted that the internals are exactly alike minus the capacity, I'm inferring that the likely culprit is the frame.

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #1,568 of 2,616
I believe they could, since they are not meant for dampening but as the frame for the electronics inside. Ifi iOne changed their back and front plate from aluminum to plastic for better Bluetooth range in the recent models, so I'm guessing materials can interfere with signal strength. And I do notice in general that the weaker the wifi signal the slower and more inconsistent it is. Plus hawaiibadboy (who I know has the aluminum version) isn't having the same problem with wifi as the rest of the people (who I assume got the 64GB version or higher and that's automatically with a stainless steel frame.) granted that the internals are exactly alike minus the capacity, I'm inferring that the likely culprit is the frame.

I got the version 128G with SS and do not have any problems with my WiFi. It downloads the musics as fast as my DPX1 and Fiio X5III without problems...

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #1,569 of 2,616
I do not think that either SS or Aluminum would intefere the signals since their purpose is a damping factor.

Hmm,, Guess you know more about these than me... Can you explain how/what the cases purpose is to dampen? Need to learn something.

Here are my thoughts:

There should be no difference in signal strength between the aluminum and SS models unless the design of circuits is different, or something else in their design is blocking the signals.

1) I would not expect the SS or Aluminum to show any difference in WIFI or Bluetooth Signal Strength. Unless there are thin external antennas below the glass (or wood) backs, the WIFI and Bluetooth won't penetrate solid metal from internal antennas. If there are no external antennas, then BT and WIFI signal should be strongest out the front/display side. Again, If no external antennas on back; If you put one in your pocket with the display side against your body, it should have lowered wifi and bluetooth signal as the body can absorb some of both signals.

2) The metal cases can protect the internal electronics from EM Interference. But that same shielding can reduce signal strength for WIFI and Bluetooth signals, IF no external antennas. So, possible cleaner audio playing files from microsd or internal memory, but weaker bluetooth and wifi, IF they don't have external antennas somewhere. Again would expect no difference if SS or Aluminum.

Metal cases may have been chosen to reduce EM from other electronics? Or because it sends a signal of perceived higher quality to consumers? Or possibly to function as a WIFI/Bluetooth Antenna, but doubt it ?

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #1,570 of 2,616
IF the WIFI router is mounted Above the player/use location would likely give better signal through the front face of the player, as back is solid conductor. And if your router is downstairs, or in basement, you might get lower signal strength. Assuming the AP200 is sitting horizontal on a table or in your hand; and Assuming there is no hidden external antennas on the back side, which I assume is completely solid SS or Aluminum across the back, like the sides.

Sorry for the CYA language, but have not actually seen a tear down of one of these....

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,571 of 2,616
I got the version 128G with SS and do not have any problems with my WiFi. It downloads the musics as fast as my DPX1 and Fiio X5III without problems...

Are you on the latest firmware? Do you have the wood back design?

Hmm,, Guess you know more about these than me... Can you explain how/what the cases purpose is to dampen? Need to learn something.

Here are my thoughts:

There should be no difference in signal strength between the aluminum and SS models unless the design of circuits is different, or something else in their design is blocking the signals.

1) I would not expect the SS or Aluminum to show any difference in WIFI or Bluetooth Signal Strength. Unless there are thin external antennas below the glass (or wood) backs, the WIFI and Bluetooth won't penetrate solid metal from internal antennas. If there are no external antennas, then BT and WIFI signal should be strongest out the front/display side. Again, If no external antennas on back; If you put one in your pocket with the display side against your body, it should have lowered wifi and bluetooth signal as the body can absorb some of both signals.

2) The metal cases can protect the internal electronics from EM Interference. But that same shielding can reduce signal strength for WIFI and Bluetooth signals, IF no external antennas. So, possible cleaner audio playing files from microsd or internal memory, but weaker bluetooth and wifi, IF they don't have external antennas somewhere. Again would expect no difference if SS or Aluminum.

Metal cases may have been chosen to reduce EM from other electronics? Or because it sends a signal of perceived higher quality to consumers? Or possibly to function as a WIFI/Bluetooth Antenna, but doubt it ?

1. Material density can affect signal strength but yes, antenna placement can affect signal direction. Not sure if the wood backed version is a pure wood panel or a wood plate on a metal mount plate. But I'll test my unit when it arrives later (should have arrived yesterday) - also, there shouldn't be any difference in the internal design, components between the stainless and aluminum versions, so the capacity, frame (and now the back plate also if its just wood, it could be better for signal strength) is the major difference.

Also remembered that firmware can affect how much power the system allocates towards Bluetooth/wifi, so theres that too.

This article can be a guide on what affects wireless signals.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #1,572 of 2,616
Are you on the latest firmware? Do you have the wood back design?

1. Material density can affect signal strength but yes, antenna placement can affect signal direction. Not sure if the wood backed version is a pure wood panel or a wood plate on a metal mount plate. But I'll test my unit when it arrives later (should have arrived yesterday) - also, there shouldn't be any difference in the internal design, components between the stainless and aluminum versions, so the capacity, frame (and now the back plate also if its just wood, it could be better for signal strength) is the major difference.

Also remembered that firmware can affect how much power the system allocates towards Bluetooth/wifi, so theres that too.

This article can be a guide on what affects wireless signals.

Mine has the latest software version which is preinstalled. The back of the unit is carbon fiber look (I do not know is it real carbon fiber but it looks nice).

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,573 of 2,616
Mine has the latest software version which is preinstalled. The back of the unit is carbon fiber look (I do not know is it real carbon fiber but it looks nice).

Nice, that's the version I'm receiving, though originally it was the wood back, some forgivable mix up happened so I'm getting that. I did hear the recently shipped units had the latest firmware pre installed.

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #1,574 of 2,616
The case would typically be a Faraday cage, yet one would expect the designers to anticipate that (and engineer around it). The metallic material (steel or aluminum) should not matter. It's interesting that some experience problems whilst others do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back