NEW HiBy R4
Apr 25, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #166 of 332
My thoughts on this one:

Hi, very interesting review. For the time being, I stick with my Good 'old R5 and not-so-old but oldish R5G2, because battery life (15 hrs is a minimal figure to start with) is still a major point for me. But I plan to migrate to the newer generation (SD665, Android12) soon or later (used R6III or R5G3 ?)
But, where does parametric EQ at 23:00 come from ??? Is it embedded into Hiby App I heard ? It does not look like the one I have on my actual Hiby App, bands have fixed values for example... :slight_frown:
I get quickly confused with MSEB. As an electronics guy, these parameters don't tell me anything about the exact effect of each slider, whereas graphical or parametric EQ does...
It is a pity they didn't implement a PEQ aside the systemwide MSEB :rolling_eyes:

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #167 of 332
image.jpg

Confirming that R4 works perfectly fine with Apple Music. It drives Gaea easily and sounds like a big DAP without relying on DSP and EQ. It does not make the Gaea bright or warmer than how I expect this IEM to sound.

As a side note, this album has some fun stereo mixing tricks going.

I’m still ashamed that I’m listening to Taylor Swift.
No shame in Swift, biggest pop star of this generation. Doesn't happen with bad songs, especially that album. (coming from a metalhead)

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #168 of 332
image.jpg

Confirming that R4 works perfectly fine with Apple Music. It drives Gaea easily and sounds like a big DAP without relying on DSP and EQ. It does not make the Gaea bright or warmer than how I expect this IEM to sound.

are you using 4.4? do let us know how the battery life is like

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #169 of 332
are you using 4.4? do let us know how the battery life is like
I haven’t done battery rundown test yet, but it seems quite good after the second charge. I have been using it on and off for two days and it’s still 50%. Mostly stream from a local media server.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #170 of 332
My thoughts on this one:

Wow, I just got this as my first DAP, just trying to get the most features in my price range, which $250 was on the high end. Based on your review it is a good time to get your first DAP. You didn't have a lot of negatives to say about it, so what are you getting with some of the pricier models? Have you tested the R6 III before? I was wondering how it compares now that it dropped down to $430.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #171 of 332
Hi, very interesting review. For the time being, I stick with my Good 'old R5 and not-so-old but oldish R5G2, because battery life (15 hrs is a minimal figure to start with) is still a major point for me. But I plan to migrate to the newer generation (SD665, Android12) soon or later (used R6III or R5G3 ?)
But, where does parametric EQ at 23:00 come from ??? Is it embedded into Hiby App I heard ? It does not look like the one I have on my actual Hiby App, bands have fixed values for example... :slight_frown:
I get quickly confused with MSEB. As an electronics guy, these parameters don't tell me anything about the exact effect of each slider, whereas graphical or parametric EQ does...
It is a pity they didn't implement a PEQ aside the systemwide MSEB :rolling_eyes:

The newer models have systemwide PEQ. Hiby hasn't updated any of the older models with this feature. I wouldn't expect any of the Android 8 models to get an update based on an earlier comment by @Joe Bloggs. I still have my R5 and R6 Pro and would love to see an update. The old R5 form factor is really nice. Maybe the R5G2 and R6 2020 might have a chance...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...e-thoughts-more.966836/page-118#post-18064410

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #173 of 332
image.jpg

There are two types of people in the world: those who listen to Taylor Swift, and those who say they don't (but really do).

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #174 of 332
Great !!! I believe you're the first to confirm that the R4 can actually be used to listen to something !!! :ksc75smile: . All the other comments have been about the mecha style, the available colors, size, battery, HiBy Music, the 2x2 DACs, Amp, Android, etc.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #175 of 332
The newer models have systemwide PEQ. Hiby hasn't updated any of the older models with this feature. I wouldn't expect any of the Android 8 models to get an update based on an earlier comment by @Joe Bloggs. I still have my R5 and R6 Pro and would love to see an update. The old R5 form factor is really nice. Maybe the R5G2 and R6 2020 might have a chance...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...e-thoughts-more.966836/page-118#post-18064410
Unfortunately even the M300 doesn’t have system wide PEQ 😞 my holdout on this one is if it has system wide EQ

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #176 of 332
Unfortunately even the M300 doesn’t have system wide PEQ 😞 my holdout on this one is if it has system wide EQ

I forgot about that one. It doesn't have SRC bypass either...

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #177 of 332
I am using ibasso DX200 right now, for physical size both are practicaly identical. But i am looking for more modern looking screen What about display brightness? Faster wifi conectivity with iphone hotspot. And faster apps load etc. But they both are kinda big DAPs.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #179 of 332
The R4 has system-wide PEQ. on R4, it is accessible in the audio settings menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back