NEW HiBy R4
Apr 26, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #196 of 350
Who even knows until you get it? Maybe they will prioritize it that way and it’s a simple mistranslation.

In any event, cancelling a preorder just because the strap is the wrong color is… a choice. Best of luck.

Of course I'm not going to return a unit on that basis, I was merely being facetious in order to make a point, the nuance of which was a little lost on you. My fault, so apologies for that.

I'll just buy the appropriate coloured strap.
And then get involved with the official Head Fi strap on swap shop.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #197 of 350
Of course I'm not going to return a unit on that basis, I was merely being facetious in order to make a point, the nuance of which was a little lost on you. My fault, so apologies for that.

I'll just buy the appropriate coloured strap.
And then get involved with the official Head Fi strap on swap shop.
If it matters that much, Hiby says they'll be offering straps for sale sometime after the pre-order period.

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #201 of 350
One irritating thing....
During the preorder period, Hiby will chuck in a free strap, which is great.
But it will be a randomised colour.
So if I buy an orange R4, it might come with a green strap....
In that scenario, I'd be sorely tempted to send mine back for a refund.
Why can't they just match the strap to the player?
Or are orders fulfilled by colour blind robots?
Just wait till after the Preorder period and you do not have to worry about an included strap and you would have no reason to return it.... simple problem, simple answer.
Or just don't buy it because you do not agree with them offering something free.... which ever works for you. I do not give a damn about the included strap yet I still ordered one.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #203 of 350
I think that’s a “yet to be released” collab version. I was confused on that too because initial reports made it sound like the black one was the A/B one, but there’s no indication of that on their preorder page.
The Black special edition version will be China only with the a/b Amp from my understanding.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #206 of 350
I really hope they push a firmware that allows us to enter a low econ mode/turn off the class A amp for battery life. That is the only thing that is keeping me from going all in on replacing my r5gen 2 with no worries. I usually use class a mode anyway, but having the option when im looking to save battery life is appreciated.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #207 of 350
I really hope they push a firmware that allows us to enter a low econ mode/turn off the class A amp for battery life. That is the only thing that is keeping me from going all in on replacing my r5gen 2 with no worries. I usually use class a mode anyway, but having the option when im looking to save battery life is appreciated.
I suspect that is a feature reserved for the next R5 gen3 (assuming there is one) along with LO. If Hiby was going to offer the feature it would make sense to offer it on first release. If they had offered it I would have bet against another R5 model. Without it I am betting on an R5 gen3 with economy mode, newer Android version and some other hardware upgrades given the higher price point, pricing somewhere between the R4 and the R6 III.

It is offering comparable battery life to other DAP's in this price range including the Shanling M1S and R3 II along with the Tempotec V3. All of these DAP's are running Linux based OS's which are much less battery draining than full Android. Under the circumstances I am quite happy with the battery life the R4 is offering, especially considering the discrete class A amp.

Edit: if they had offered the economy mode and LO then just call it the R5 gen3 instead of creating a new R4 model number?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #209 of 350
I suspect that is a feature reserved for the next R5 gen3 (assuming there is one) along with LO. If Hiby was going to offer the feature it would make sense to offer it on first release. If they had offered it I would have bet against another R5 model. Without it I am betting on an R5 gen3 with economy mode, newer Android version and some other hardware upgrades given the higher price point, pricing somewhere between the R4 and the R6 III.

It is offering comparable battery life to other DAP's in this price range including the Shanling M1S and R3 II along with the Tempotec V3. All of these DAP's are running Linux based OS's which are much less battery draining than full Android. Under the circumstances I am quite happy with the battery life the R4 is offering, especially considering the discrete class A amp.

Edit: if they had offered the economy mode and LO then just call it the R5 gen3 instead of creating a new R4 model number?
I had heard that china was getting a special release/exclusive that had the ability to turn off the class A mode but I am not entirely sure of the validity of that claim.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #210 of 350
It does feel like the r5 II is severely outdated. Not sure anyone seeing their comparison chart will be compelled to buy that one soon.
I guess it depends on your needs, if you only plan to listen to local files and don't care about the android version and you really need the economy mode then why not. It did go on sale for $199 US on Valentines day so if it drops to that price again could be an option. Seems people are missing features from the R5 gen2 on the R4. It was a $450 DAP so until there are some reviews comparing the two I wouldn't rule it out. I would not buy it at current $349 US but on a closeout price around $200 then why not?

Unlike the R4 it does have LO and the Class A amp sound reviews are quite good. Having lived with my ancient Sony A55 with custom firmware for the last two years a two year old DAP with these features is still alot more current.

If I knew for sure there will be an R5 gen3 say this time next year, might be worth a wait especially at the current $349 price as it would be a step up from the R4 I am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back