NEW HiBy R4
Apr 26, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #181 of 347
I ditched DAPs a while back and went down the phone and (various) dongle(s) route......
But this R4 is incredibly tempting at that price.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #182 of 347
I'm very new to this space. I have a custom impulse response profile created through Impulcifier. I'd like to use it to watch movies on my Nvidia Shield. Am I correct in understanding that I can load the profile into the R4, connect it to the Shield in usb dac mode, and then watch movies on the tv? Is the R4 powerful enough to run the realtime processing? (am I even thinking about this correctly?)

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #183 of 347
I'm very new to this space. I have a custom impulse response profile created through Impulcifier. I'd like to use it to watch movies on my Nvidia Shield. Am I correct in understanding that I can load the profile into the R4, connect it to the Shield in usb dac mode, and then watch movies on the tv? Is the R4 powerful enough to run the realtime processing? (am I even thinking about this correctly?)

I can't answer your question on if the SOC can handle the processing in your case, but it does have enough power to handle the HiBy plug-ins, like convolution, which is fairly processing intensive. The convolution plug-in may be able to use your profile. You should know that there is latency in audio in DAC mode. The audio will not be synced with the video, unless your video player can adjust the audio sync.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #184 of 347
I can't answer your question on if the SOC can handle the processing in your case, but it does have enough power to handle the HiBy plug-ins, like convolution, which is fairly processing intensive. The convolution plug-in may be able to use your profile. You should know that there is latency in audio in DAC mode. The audio will not be synced with the video, unless your video player can adjust the audio sync.

I do see an option to add a delay in my video player and they are static values. Is it expected that the delay introduced in DAC mode will be a constant delay (ex. 0.2s) or is it variable? If its variable I dont think my video player supports it

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #185 of 347
I do see an option to add a delay in my video player and they are static values. Is it expected that the delay introduced in DAC mode will be a constant delay (ex. 0.2s) or is it variable? If its variable I dont think my video player supports it
I believe it's a fixed delay. If your player can delay the video for a number of different static values, you should be able to find something that works.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #186 of 347
One irritating thing....
During the preorder period, Hiby will chuck in a free strap, which is great.
But it will be a randomised colour.
So if I buy an orange R4, it might come with a green strap....
In that scenario, I'd be sorely tempted to send mine back for a refund.
Why can't they just match the strap to the player?
Or are orders fulfilled by colour blind robots?

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #188 of 347
One irritating thing....
During the preorder period, Hiby will chuck in a free strap, which is great.
But it will be a randomised colour.
So if I buy an orange R4, it might come with a green strap....
In that scenario, I'd be sorely tempted to send mine back for a refund.
Why can't they just match the strap to the player?
Or are orders fulfilled by colour blind robots?
Seems like a non-issue for a free piece of fabric

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #191 of 347
Seems like a non-issue for a free piece of fabric
You think?
So why did Hiby go to the trouble of producing different coloured devices, with matching coloured themes, and matching coloured straps, only to then send non matching coloured straps to people who preorder?
I'd say that's an issue.
The logical choice for a customer would be not to preorder, but instead buy a strap and take advantage of the $10 welcome code in order to get it for free.
Whoever signed off on that at Hiby would appear to be hard of thinking.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #193 of 347
You think?
So why did Hiby go to the trouble of producing different coloured devices, with matching coloured themes, and matching coloured straps, only to then send non matching coloured straps to people who preorder?
I'd say that's an issue.
The logical choice for a customer would be not to preorder, but instead buy a strap and take advantage of the $10 welcome code in order to get it for free.
Who even knows until you get it? Maybe they will prioritize it that way and it’s a simple mistranslation.

In any event, cancelling a preorder just because the strap is the wrong color is… a choice. Best of luck.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #194 of 347
Apr 26, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #195 of 347
You think?
I'd say that's an issue.

That’s part of the reason I bought the black. So no matter what color band I end up getting, it’ll match. I don’t love the neon colors, but was still going between the neon green and black, but the random strap giveaway pushed me over the edge to get the black player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back