New here, and not very knowledge able in audio. Looking for new headphones :)
Aug 30, 2011 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SkyDaddy

New Head-Fier
I have heard wonderful things about Head-Fi and I thought I would stop by for a recommendation. So I currently own a pair of Corsair HS1-USB headphones/headset. I was disappointed in the mic and sound quality, most notably a complete lack of bass with out massive EQ boosts (messing up the other frequencies in the process) and today the audio cable leading from the inline volume control decided to stop playing my center channel on both left and right headphones unless I bend the cable in different shapes. Being my third headset in under a year I figured its time to get something nice.

Price Range: $100 is sweet spot, willing to go $200 if ABSOLUTELY necessary 
Used for: Gaming, and Music
Music Types: I listen to a lot of different music, from classical to techno to death-metal it all sounds good (to me anyway) having deep but accurate bass is something I really want.
Games: Mostly FPS's so awesome explosions ect.  positional accuracy is a massive bonus, (I know this job is more for the audio processor but I thought id throw it in)

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 12
Audiotechnica AD700 is widely recommended for gaming due to its ability to accurately position in FPS games. Especially if you're running Dolby Headphone or similar software.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Heya,

Samson SR850

Great for gaming, has great bass, overall a good clarity. Imaging is good. Comfort is solid. Inexpensive. A total hidden gem.

Very best,

Thanks for the quick reply MalVeauX, they look very high quality for the price. On a similar subject, i'm also looking to get a good sound card. I have previously owned a Creative X-Fi but I don't really know who makes good quality cards now with so many new players in the game. (Asus, (not really new but still HT|Omega, SIIG, Vantec) and the list goes on. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply MalVeauX, they look very high quality for the price. On a similar subject, i'm also looking to get a good sound card. I have previously owned a Creative X-Fi but I don't really know who makes good quality cards now with so many new players in the game. (Asus, (not really new but still HT|Omega, SIIG, Vantec) and the list goes on. 

Heya,

Any soundcard that includes dolby headphone will essentially do the job. The Xonar DG for example is inexpensive, has an amp, and does what you need. On the higher point of line of cards, check out the Creative Titanium HD for gaming.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Heya,

Samson SR850

Great for gaming, has great bass, overall a good clarity. Imaging is good. Comfort is solid. Inexpensive. A total hidden gem.

Superior to AD700, which will be inevitably spammed by someone who's never even heard it.

Very best,

Ninja edit much? Acutally, I deliberated greatly and have listened to the AD700's and enjoyed them greatly while gaming, they just didn't have the musicality which I thought was more important considering that I didn't game that much.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 12
I own the AD700s and I do like them for easy relaxing long term listening, but really bass light, and being open means you hear everything around you.
Cheap way to go is the Asus Xonar DG and the Superlux HD-668B
The Xonar DG has the headphone amp. and has Dolby Headphone 5.1
So you can take full advantage of Dolby Digital 5.1 in DVD movies
Comes with GX  2.5 which emulates (somewhat) EAX 5.0

The Superlux HD-668B is as good a headphone you can get for it's price range.

Total for both should be no more the $85

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I own the AD700s and I do like them for easy relaxing long term listening, but really bass light, and being open means you hear everything around you.
Cheap way to go is the Asus Xonar DG and the Superlux HD-668B
The Xonar DG has the headphone amp. and has Dolby Headphone 5.1
So you can take full advantage of Dolby Digital 5.1 in DVD movies
Comes with GX  2.5 which emulates (somewhat) EAX 5.0

The Superlux HD-668B is as good a headphone you can get for it's price range.

Total for both should be no more the $85

Heya,

The SR850 is an HD668B rebranded. It simply has a nicer construction that mimics AKG headsets. Same price. Just throwing that out there.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 12
I'm in the same position as you, using a Corsair HSA1 which although is very comfortable just doesn't have any bass. Right now I'm leaning towards getting an MS1i because I also enjoy Rock music but I've also heard they can be lean on bass. Can anyone tell me weather they will be a significant step up from the Corsairs in terms of bass and overall quality?

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
I'm in the same position as you, using a Corsair HSA1 which although is very comfortable just doesn't have any bass. Right now I'm leaning towards getting an MS1i because I also enjoy Rock music but I've also heard they can be lean on bass. Can anyone tell me weather they will be a significant step up from the Corsairs in terms of bass and overall quality?

Step up in quality yes.

Bass? No.

Grados and bass, well, really are not friends.

Grados and mids? Oh they're best friends. That's why you get a Grado.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back