New headphones
Dec 13, 2010 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Bbugs

New Head-Fier
Hello, all! I'm new to this whole headphone thing, but I would like to begin. Music is very important to me. I recently bought a home theater system, and I love the sound. It got me thinking, and I realized I wanted a good pair of over the ear headphones. At the moment I have a pair of sony in ear noise canceling headphones, and they aren't horrible, but not very good. They are msrb $120 and I got them for $20. They really annoy me though. They always fall out and are very uncomfortable. I want a pair of comfy over the ear headphones. I will be using them in places with moderate noise, but not too noisy. I am looking for something comfortable and has very good sound. I have a budget of around $100 to $150. Any ideas? Thank you very much. Keep in mind I will be using the headphones with my iPhone a lot and my computer. Thanks again!

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 39
I have been thinking about getting the grado sr60i, but my concerns are the cord is long, 5'11" is what I heard, and they are open back (not really sure what that is) and that makes stray sound very present right? I will be using these a lot on a bus where the people won't be very loud, but sound will be present.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 39

The cord on my Grados is 7ft...not really that long though and you can always cut it down and add a new plug end if needed. The cord is pretty short compared to my Beyers...that one is 10ft. I just measured both so those numbers are accurate...lol 
Quote:
I have been thinking about getting the grado sr60i, but my concerns are the cord is long, 5'11" is what I heard, 

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 39
Yes I searched, I was just overwhelmed. I guess what I'm looking for is a closed back headphone. I listen to acoustic music a lot, but I also listen to rock and heavy metal. I looked up the a700 and they seemed pretty good. Any other suggestions? Thank so far guys :)

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 39

Quote:
Yes I searched, I was just overwhelmed. I guess what I'm looking for is a closed back headphone. I listen to acoustic music a lot, but I also listen to rock and heavy metal. I looked up the a700 and they seemed pretty good. Any other suggestions? Thank so far guys
smily_headphones1.gif

The A700's seems to fit your requirements, also if you bought a home theater system you'll like their sound signature...they have a nice soundstage (movies/games)

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 39

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I searched, I was just overwhelmed. I guess what I'm looking for is a closed back headphone. I listen to acoustic music a lot, but I also listen to rock and heavy metal. I looked up the a700 and they seemed pretty good. Any other suggestions? Thank so far guys
smily_headphones1.gif

The A700's seems to fit your requirements, also if you bought a home theater system you'll like their sound signature...they have a nice soundstage (movies/games)

So, if I wanted to use these on my computer for gaming, say Minecraft, it would sound fine?  

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 39
The 555's are good for both (gaming/music) they are bass weak though. 

Now, comparing the 700's vs the 555's for portable use...i'd choose the 555's (if you don't care about size)
i have seen guys wearing them in public. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 39
Welcome to Head-Fi by the way!  Here are some additional recommendations for ya:

First are of the open-back design

Grado SR80i

Beyerdynamic DTX 900, DTX 910, DT 440

AKG K 240

Audio-Technica ATH-AD-700

Next are of the sealed-back design

Denon AH-D1100

Sennheiser HD 448

Shure SRH440

Now to answer your question-the HD555 are an excellent all around 'phone for both music and gaming.  It's a safe entry into the world of high quality audio, so if you don't mind the lack of ambient noise isolation(since they are of an open back design) they should serve your listening purposes quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back