New headphones as good or better than the HD800 and T1 to hit the market soon?
Aug 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

punk_guy182

1000+ Head-Fier
hey, guys!

I was wondering if any rumors were circulating around talking about AKG or some other headphone manufacturer releasing news products that can outperform what's already out there.
We need more competition in order to keep the prices lower.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 45
There's been talk of an AKG flagship for quite a while now. I honestly don't think it'll come about. I really hope I'm wrong about that though as I loved listening to the K1000 and would love to hear what they could come up with. AKG get your act together!

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 45

Quote:
K 703.... In chocolate brown

lol!  With....um...an extra headband nobin and Ultra High Definition written on the box! 

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 45
Actually, I met Mr. Sennheiser himself about six months before the HD800 was announced and one of his Reps was telling me about the HD800, and the way she described it being incredibly open in design, fast, etc I was picturing an SA5000.  In other words, she was totally honest and accurate about them.  Which makes me trust the rest of what she said.  Which was that the Orpheus wasn't Sennheiser's last foray into electrostats.  That they were working on a new one.  She was much more vague and secretive about this one than the HD800 so she wouldn't really say what it would be, whether it be electrostat or ortho, or bone phone I don't know.  But I feel pretty confident that something non-dynamic is coming...there was a glimmer in her eye that said more than she could ever say, if you know what I mean.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #10 of 45
There is always the possibility of a true ribbon headphone being delivered by either RAAL or Transmission audio. I wouldn't expect the price or the amplification requirements will put much economic pressure on other TOL products. We'll see what happens if they ever become a commercial product.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:
Actually, I met Mr. Sennheiser himself about six months before the HD800 was announced and one of his Reps was telling me about the HD800, and the way she described it being incredibly open in design, fast, etc I was picturing an SA5000.  In other words, she was totally honest and accurate about them.  Which makes me trust the rest of what she said.  Which was that the Orpheus wasn't Sennheiser's last foray into electrostats.  That they were working on a new one.  She was much more vague and secretive about this one than the HD800 so she wouldn't really say what it would be, whether it be electrostat or ortho, or bone phone I don't know.  But I feel pretty confident that something non-dynamic is coming...there was a glimmer in her eye that said more than she could ever say, if you know what I mean.

If I recall, Tyll dropped a similar hint some years back in a HD-650 replacement speculation thread.

Only thing is a lot of projects get kicked around internally and then canceled without anyone knowing.  So maybe that was the truth and maybe a beancounter killed it off later.

Though I'd love to see another 'stat from Sennheiser.  The HE60 and HE90 are wonderful.  I'd like to see the same leap from them that there was between the HD-650 and the HD-800.

And AKG really needs to roll out new earspeakers to succeed the K-1000.  Update the drivers and give us another one.

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 45
How about Sony? after making the legendary MDR-R10 and Qualia 010 , their current flagship models can't really compete to other brand. I hope Sony will notice the potential of headphone market and create a new legendary headphone for us.

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #13 of 45

Quote:

If I recall, Tyll dropped a similar hint some years back in a HD-650 replacement speculation thread.

Only thing is a lot of projects get kicked around internally and then canceled without anyone knowing.  So maybe that was the truth and maybe a beancounter killed it off later.

Though I'd love to see another 'stat from Sennheiser.  The HE60 and HE90 are wonderful.  I'd like to see the same leap from them that there was between the HD-650 and the HD-800.

And AKG really needs to roll out new earspeakers to succeed the K-1000.  Update the drivers and give us another one.

True who knows if it will actually be released.  But she said it would be a little bit.  I got the impression that the HD800 would be out shortly and that the stat would be 3 years or so.  It seemed like it was more than just experimenting.  

I was surprised that she was telling me this stuff that seemed fairly hush hush and I was even more surprised when the HD800 was exactly what I was expecting from her comments in both looks and sound.  Then I didn't really want to post about it because I didn't want to get her in trouble, but at this point it seems pretty safe.

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #14 of 45
Fostex brought along a supposed high end woodie dynamic to a Japanese headphones show about a year ago. Not sure how end it is supposed to be or when it is supposed to be released but they had some photos of the extensive work put into making the wood cups. Hopefully that effort in cups is representative of work put into drivers.

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 45
Stax SR-507 maybe?
Remains to be seen if it is as good or better than the two mentioned 'phones, but it sure make a strong candidate. It will most certainly be cheaper though.

Then there is the wish for AKG to come up with a K1000 successor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back