New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #841 of 2,442
Nice impressions Fido2. Others have also similarly commented on the BHA-1 and LCD-2 pairing. The BHA-1 is top of my amp list to purchase, to possibly mate with an M51. My LCD-2's are awaiting patiently. Are you using balanced or SE into the BHA-1?

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #844 of 2,442
Bryston has a smoothness to the sound, a fluidity that makes the music natural and really non-fatiguing. It's natural and neutral but musically quite satisfying. That makes it very universal for it works well with any genre of music. It's also immediate and details are presented like in a gallery and everything is at your fingertips. Imaging is quite convincing and I would say almost as good as I have heard it on a commercial amplifier. I quite like the charm of it's unassuming looks and usual set of facilities. In reality, I like it a lot.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #849 of 2,442
Are owners experiencing a pretty big deficit between running single-ended vs. balanced output?

Mine is still a week or more away.  Just curious if I will benefit substantially by balancing my cans

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #850 of 2,442
In my experience, yes. According to Bryston there should be no difference, but it's hard to miss, IMO. The biggest thing for me is accuracy of imaging and the cohesiveness of the two sides. Unbalanced feels like there's often a hazy center where balanced is very focused and clear. On the whole it feels like there is just more resolution in balanced use as well.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #853 of 2,442
Hmm,

I wonder if it has to do with the power differences for a given pot position?  I understand there are other discussed benefits to balancing (theoretically at the input stage from what I have read so far) but in the end it's how good our ears subjectively hear the sound.

You guys have no reason to steer me wrong so I definitely believe what you are experiencing despite theoretical claims.  I'm just trying to better understand balancing at the output level so I can decide if I want to invest the $$.

Based on your experiences it almost seems silly to spend the cash on this amp and NOT invest in balancing my main headphone.  Does anyone want to comment on what they think physically the reason is for the balanced output sounding better, even considering the internal signal is converted from a balanced input to single ended and then back to balanced?  Has anyone tried going single ended input and single ended output to see if this improves against the singled ended output coupled with the balanced input?  I know there was mention in the Yulong A18 thread that mismatching the input and output sounded worse (even in the case of balanced input and singled ended out) than even running full single ended in to out.  Of course that was a subjective report, but subjective reports from experienced ears (and not to mention honest) means a lot.

Thanks guys

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #854 of 2,442
I know for a fact the T1's sound ed horrible out the SE output.  Once I got them re cabled to balanced it was like night and day..  Go figure.

didnt James Tanner say that balanced doubles the voltage swing somewhere in this thread? And the 600 ohm T1 sure likes voltage more than current, so it might be more sensitive to output choice?

anyway, I totally loved the 300 ohm HD650 running SE so much I'm almost buying it for the HD650 only =D

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #855 of 2,442
I know for a fact the T1's sound ed horrible out the SE output.  Once I got them re cabled to balanced it was like night and day..  Go figure.

didnt James Tanner say that balanced doubles the voltage swing somewhere in this thread? And the 600 ohm T1 sure likes voltage more than current, so it might be more sensitive to output choice?

anyway, I totally loved the 300 ohm HD650 running SE so much I'm almost buying it for the HD650 only =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back