New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jan 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #826 of 2,450
Quote:
@ James, I ordered my BHA-1 with locking mechanism on XLR connectors, i.e. on all five female XLR connectors, but didn’t get it. Now I’ve received two Neutrik Push levers from the distributor via the dealer. I’ve found instructions on how to remove the lever (http://www.neutrik.com/en/support/faq/can-the-latch-of-a-xlr-chassis-connector-be-removed-and-replaced) but I don’t know if I can mount it just by pushing the lever into the XLR connector from the outside. I don’t want to destroy the XLR connectors and thus need to send my BHA-1 back to the dealer/distributor. Any advice?

IMO all BHA-1 should have locking mechanisms on the input XLR connectors at the back. It can be optional for the front connectors.

Yes I would say make sure the person adding the locks is qualified to do so.

james

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #827 of 2,450
Quote:
Just Ordered.

Hoping this is the last headphone amp I'll need! Very Excited...

smile.gif
it is -  dreams came true, starting from the first second!

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #828 of 2,450
Quote:
smile.gif
it is -  dreams came true, starting from the first second!

Seeing that you're driving a K1000 and TH900, I'll consider my SP-1 well fed.  I'll have to balance them some day

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #829 of 2,450
Quote:
@ James, I ordered my BHA-1 with locking mechanism on XLR connectors, i.e. on all five female XLR connectors, but didn’t get it. Now I’ve received two Neutrik Push levers from the distributor via the dealer. I’ve found instructions on how to remove the lever (http://www.neutrik.com/en/support/faq/can-the-latch-of-a-xlr-chassis-connector-be-removed-and-replaced) but I don’t know if I can mount it just by pushing the lever into the XLR connector from the outside. I don’t want to destroy the XLR connectors and thus need to send my BHA-1 back to the dealer/distributor. Any advice?

IMO all BHA-1 should have locking mechanisms on the input XLR connectors at the back. It can be optional for the front connectors.

I am interested in this as well. Are there part numbers for these locks? And is it possible to get a lock for the front 4 pin connector?

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #830 of 2,450
Locking is a good way to destroy either the amp, cable or headphone.  Non locking is a safety feature, while locking is only needed if you plan to strain it which is a bad idea.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #832 of 2,450
Hello!

Would someone please look at this picture. It's the 3.5mm connector on the back panel of my BHA-1. It's an odd looking connector because the plastic ring around it looks as though the plastic has a split at "15:00 o'clock". I sent an email to Bryston but have not received a reply yet. If someone has a BHA-1 amplifier, can you please comment and tell me if your amplifier has the same connector?

Here's the picture of my BHA-1:
2hs7us2.jpg

I have had my share of bad experience with some manufacturers I'd rather not mention and the problems were never resolved to my satisfaction. In the end, I sold these products at a fraction of the price I paid for them, not to mention the endless shipping and custom charges to the service center and back. Anyway, it's a long story and a painful one too so I hope you understand if I am nitpicking.

Cheers!
Antun

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #834 of 2,450
Oh wonderful, thank you!

I was just a bit concerned because the connector is not something I've seen before and it does seem to be a bit off-center with respect to the hole. 

Anyone else?

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #837 of 2,450
Quote:

I am interested in this as well. Are there part numbers for these locks? And is it possible to get a lock for the front 4 pin connector?

On the Neutrik product page it sais "Retention spring instead of latch" for the non-locking XLR connectors. It's only if they use the same spring for both variants that it will work to just insert the lever. I will not try that. I haven't found any part number for the lever but obviously the distributor in Norway has them. There are Neutrik 4 pole female XLR connectors with latch, for example NC4FAH. On my other HP amp, Harmony Design EAR909, all female XLR connectors (3 and 4 pole) have locking mechanisms. Even the 1/4" jack has a locking mechanism (also Neutrik of course)!

Who needs locking mechanisms anyway, the sound keeps me locked to my BHA-1!  
L3000.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #840 of 2,450
I just received my BHA-1 today and I cant stop listening. Im running LCD-2s balanced and I can't get over how good they sound. Nuance, texture, tonality, richness, detail....its all there. The bass is just phenomenol...deep and tight a powerful. The bass really fleshes things out. The emotional content of the music shines much brighter because I can much more clearly hear all the subtle details like bows on strings, picks on guitar strings, inflections and textures in voices....its just sublime....best sound Ive personally ever had from a headphone amp combo. I can't listen to my AH-D7000s because they're being repaired. But even my Grado SR80s sound killer. The little Grados were really puttin out some bass and this with a mini to 1/4" adapter single ended. Anyway Im very happy with my BHA-1!! If you own the Audeze phones you must listen to this amp with a balanced cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back