New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jan 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #856 of 2,450
I know for a fact the T1's sound ed horrible out the SE output.  Once I got them re cabled to balanced it was like night and day..  Go figure.

didnt James Tanner say that balanced doubles the voltage swing somewhere in this thread? And the 600 ohm T1 sure likes voltage more than current, so it might be more sensitive to output choice?

anyway, I totally loved the 300 ohm HD650 running SE so much I'm almost buying it for the HD650 only =D

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #859 of 2,450
Quote:
More like QP
tongue.gif

with cheese...

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #861 of 2,450
Jan 15, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #862 of 2,450
didnt James Tanner say that balanced doubles the voltage swing somewhere in this thread? And the 600 ohm T1 sure likes voltage more than current, so it might be more sensitive to output choice?

anyway, I totally loved the 300 ohm HD650 running SE so much I'm almost buying it for the HD650 only =D

Yes, balanced output doubles the available output voltage swing.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #864 of 2,450
Quote:
Are owners experiencing a pretty big deficit between running single-ended vs. balanced output?

Mine is still a week or more away.  Just curious if I will benefit substantially by balancing my cans

I have tried single ended and balanced output with my LCD-2's. I had to turn the volume up a bit to get to the same level of sound with SE vs the BAL. Other than that, the SE sounded great. The only possible difference was in the details on the outer edges of the music. They seemed to be a tiny bit clearer with balanced. The delicacies of the music seemed clearer BAL vs SE but not by much on the LCD-2's at least. Anyone else?

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #865 of 2,450
Quote:
I have tried single ended and balanced output with my LCD-2's. I had to turn the volume up a bit to get to the same level of sound with SE vs the BAL. Other than that, the SE sounded great. The only possible difference was in the details on the outer edges of the music. They seemed to be a tiny bit clearer with balanced. The delicacies of the music seemed clearer BAL vs SE but not by much on the LCD-2's at least. Anyone else?

Bass impact, soundstage?  Details, smidge more.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #866 of 2,450
Quote:

I agree with you. It seemed to me the audible difference could be accounted for by differences in level. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #867 of 2,450
Hoping to get this answered by someone at Bryston.

I'm seriously considering purchasing your 1.5 phono stage (which requires the external PSU, kind of a dick move). Anyway, I know that this can be bought without the internal PSU for owners of other Bryston products...but can the same be done with the BDA-2?

I'm trying to invest in a phono stage from a company with a (decent) matching DAC, but am having a hard time considering investing 5k in a phono stage where the PSU is only being used for said phono stage. 

If I could run a BHA-1, BDA-2, and 1.5 Stage all off the same PSU that could have me seriously considering Bryston for my sources.

Waiting to confirm on sound of the BHA-1 with a few cans (come March) as I didn't like it with the HD800. If it pairs well with the TH900, LCD 2.2/3, and HE500 it could be a serious contender. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #868 of 2,450
Quote:

So the input is?

Going by the preliminary owner's manual, SE input to SE output is non-inverted

Quote:

I agree with you. It seemed to me the audible difference could be accounted for by differences in level. 

If "nature abhors the vacuum tube", what is it's opinion of a JFET? a MOSFET? a BJT?

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #869 of 2,450
Quote:
Hoping to get this answered by someone at Bryston.

I'm seriously considering purchasing your 1.5 phono stage (which requires the external PSU, kind of a dick move). Anyway, I know that this can be bought without the internal PSU for owners of other Bryston products...but can the same be done with the BDA-2?

I'm trying to invest in a phono stage from a company with a (decent) matching DAC, but am having a hard time considering investing 5k in a phono stage where the PSU is only being used for said phono stage. 

If I could run a BHA-1, BDA-2, and 1.5 Stage all off the same PSU that could have me seriously considering Bryston for my sources.

Waiting to confirm on sound of the BHA-1 with a few cans (come March) as I didn't like it with the HD800. If it pairs well with the TH900, LCD 2.2/3, and HE500 it could be a serious contender. 

Hi,

The BDA-1/2 and the BDP1/2 have internal power supplies because there are two supplies - one dedicated to the Digital Circuitry and one to the Analog circuitry.  With the MPS-2 that can not be done. The MPS-2 can be used with the BHA-1 on special order as a special cable is required from the MPS-2 to the rear of the BHA-1.

The MPS-2 was designed to drive our BP-26 Preamp, Our BP1.5 MM and MC phone stage, our 10B electronic crossover and our BHA-1 headphone amp.

Hope this helps.

james 

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #870 of 2,450
Makes sense but it's a bit unfortunate. 

Thanks for the info. If I needed a preamp it'd be a no brainer. Still might go for it if my next audition with the BHA-1 goes well. 

Not sure if investing 5k in a phono stage is for me. It's far and away the most expensive option on my long list.

Quote:
Hi,

The BDA-1/2 and the BDP1/2 have internal power supplies because there are two supplies - one dedicated to the Digital Circuitry and one to the Analog circuitry.  With the MPS-2 that can not be done. The MPS-2 can be used with the BHA-1 on special order as a special cable is required from the MPS-2 to the rear of the BHA-1.

The MPS-2 was designed to drive our BP-26 Preamp, Our BP1.5 MM and MC phone stage, our 10B electronic crossover and our BHA-1 headphone amp.

Hope this helps.

james 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back