New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Mar 18, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #2,102 of 2,442
well now i am 2 1/2 months in with the bryston. must say it is one of the best amps for the focal elears. looking for new cables for my elears, if i go 4 pin balanced do i need to have a balanced source? i dont have a balanced source now but plan to get one. but want to replace my headphone cable first

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #2,103 of 2,442
well now i am 2 1/2 months in with the bryston. must say it is one of the best amps for the focal elears. looking for new cables for my elears, if i go 4 pin balanced do i need to have a balanced source? i dont have a balanced source now but plan to get one. but want to replace my headphone cable first
In my experience, it does not make any difference in terms of sound quality. The balanced inputs will sound louder at the same volume setting. The BHA-1 takes the input, balanced or not and transforms them to single ended before hitting the headphone outputs. I run the Schiit gungnir through my BHA-1

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #2,104 of 2,442
Not my experience makan

Changing from single-ended to balanced inputs doubles the power at the balanced outputs. The difference in resolution and dynamics is stunning by comparison.

My own system uses a BDA-3 DAC balanced into the BHA-1 and 4-pin balanced out to a few different headphones.

I've had Take Five Audio make custom balanced cables that offer great sound for the buck. Have a look at what they offer for your Elear system judomaniak57

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #2,105 of 2,442
Not my experience makan

Changing from single-ended to balanced inputs doubles the power at the balanced outputs. The difference in resolution and dynamics is stunning by comparison.

My own system uses a BDA-3 DAC balanced into the BHA-1 and 4-pin balanced out to a few different headphones.

I've had Take Five Audio make custom balanced cables that offer great sound for the buck. Have a look at what they offer for your Elear system judomaniak57
Good to hear that the balanced inputs are benefiting your listening pleasure vs the SE. Could be my 1 day of ABing between the gungnir SE and balanced inputs into my BHA-1 was not enough for me to hear the differences. All I know is I am enjoying my BHA-1 balanced out! Happy listening.

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2,106 of 2,442
I'm using my BHA1's SE inputs-my DAC`s balanced outs are feeding my stereo amps. That said, when I was running it balanced in, I noticed no appreciable sonic improvements. This amp is underrated. So dynamic and natural.

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #2,107 of 2,442
has anyone tried a portable player the the mini input on the back of the bryston. i use a cd/sacd player has my only source now and i am thinking of getting a astell and kern ak70 MKII so i can finally download hi res music

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #2,108 of 2,442
has anyone tried a portable player the the mini input on the back of the bryston. i use a cd/sacd player has my only source now and i am thinking of getting a astell and kern ak70 MKII so i can finally download hi res music

Yup, works well with my AK120ll.

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #2,109 of 2,442
@gonzalo1004es , did you ever get the wiring diagram from Mike at Bryson showing the proper construction for xlr to rca cables to connect to a single ended stereo power amp?

If so, do you mind sharing it here? Thanks!

Thanks James, I'll do so! One further detail: I assume the BHA xlr pre out work with both xlr and rca inputs, am I right? Should this setup work?: SACD player - rca - BHA1 - xlr out (with the correct wired cable) - rca - power amp. Many thanks again!

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #2,110 of 2,442
@gonzalo1004es , did you ever get the wiring diagram from Mike at Bryson showing the proper construction for xlr to rca cables to connect to a single ended stereo power amp?

If so, do you mind sharing it here? Thanks!
Hi! That's message I got:
"Please wire the cable such that pin 1 on the XLR is connected to the shell of the RCA, and pin 2 on the XLR is connected to the signal pin on the RCA. Pin 3 on the XLR will not be connected to anything."

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #2,111 of 2,442
That’s the info I was looking for, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back