New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jul 19, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #2,135 of 2,442
I tested it with Hegel HD25, Violectric V800 and Audio-gd Master 7. I can imagine the Gungnir being a good match, the Bryston doesn´t seem to mind a DAC that leans towards the warmer side of the spectrum :)
Although I haven't tried too many DACs, I do usually try two kinds of DACs as a test, and I think multi-bit and delta-sigma are good to test an amp. When I tried Hugo 2, delta sigma, the amp didn't put out hard attack for high-hat sounds, and was a bit smoothed off sizzles. So, it seems multi-bit was a successful pairing for the BHA-1, and if paired in such way, it enhances the performance significantly compared to if some random DAC was paired I take it. We can't be sure if it's really the DAC being 'multi-bit' with certainty as Ayre Codex sounded pretty much identical to Gumby to my ears. I'm thinking Ayre Codex is delta-sigma?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #2,136 of 2,442
Although I haven't tried too many DACs, I do usually try two kinds of DACs as a test, and I think multi-bit and delta-sigma are good to test an amp. When I tried Hugo 2, delta sigma, the amp didn't put out hard attack for high-hat sounds, and was a bit smoothed off sizzles. So, it seems multi-bit was a successful pairing for the BHA-1, and if paired in such way, it enhances the performance significantly compared to if some random DAC was paired I take it. We can't be sure if it's really the DAC being 'multi-bit' with certainty as Ayre Codex sounded pretty much identical to Gumby to my ears. I'm thinking Ayre Codex is delta-sigma?
Schiit multibit would also maximize the BHA-1's staging and layering.

Btw, the Bryston is proof that we should not trust the power rating that manufacturers provide. Looking at the power numbers, the BHA-1 is much lower than the Taurus and Master-9. Either Bryston underates the number or AudioGD/Auralic overrates theirs.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #2,138 of 2,442
I've been at this so long that I'm beginning to realize that the best gear, including the Bryston BHA-1 and the Pass HPA-1, * ARE * boring. Neutral stuff is neutral lol. :)

Jul 20, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #2,139 of 2,442
I've been at this so long that I'm beginning to realize that the best gear, including the Bryston BHA-1 and the Pass HPA-1, * ARE * boring. Neutral stuff is neutral lol. :)
Uh, ok? Boring means good? I can't put the HPA-1 on the same level as BHA-1. HPA-1 sounded a bit to Pass-y warm. Not my tea. Not neutral enough, I mean boring enough.

For me, it's not about neutral or not. It's about the right timbre, and HD800 doesn't sound like a meat grinder, and I get strong tight bass out of Sennys. I think 800's treble sounding like it does out of it is rare and unusual. It's an unusual amp. Typical solid state doesn't sound like that.

800's treble will usually sparkle at the tip and the degree will depend on the amp. I think I heard 800 do it the least out of the BHA-1. It smoothens such characteristic.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #2,140 of 2,442
The BHA-1 mates really well with the Senns (600, 650, 800). More than any Solid State I tried so far. Timbre is spot on. Brings the bass to life. And it doesn't sacrifice staging and timbre. This is one detailed SS amp.

Let's not compare SS with Tubes as they sound different. It depends on people's taste and gears.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #2,141 of 2,442
Who thinks balanced output is superior to single ended? I know I do. This is one amp balanced sounds obviously different from single ended. Is this a true balanced topology or not? Manual says balanced dual mono circuitry.

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #2,142 of 2,442
Who thinks balanced output is superior to single ended? I know I do. This is one amp balanced sounds obviously different from single ended. Is this a true balanced topology or not? Manual says balanced dual mono circuitry.

Yes, a balanced design will always perform technically better in balanced output. SE output from a fully balanced amp design is compromised by design and is only there for added convenience. However, I found the BHA-1 to sound very good in SE mode in many cases. It lacks some juice, obviously, but with many (but not all) headphones it was almost on par.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,143 of 2,442
my klipsch hp3 with a 25 ohm impedence and 98 db sensitivity sounded ok single ened. Balanced ,wow, whole different ball game. dynamic and fast with so much slam. totaly changed my mind on these headphones which i thought where only ok to what a totl headphone should sound like. Same goes for my focal elears

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #2,144 of 2,442

That is exactly what I meant. When I stated 'boring' I followed it up with why I found it so. As a very neutral sounding amp which many people will love, I as a tube guy find neutral as boring. That takes nothing away from a very well made, fantastic performing amp that is the BHA-1.

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #2,145 of 2,442
Amish, exactly. Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back