New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Sep 19, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,071 of 2,442
^^^^
Glad to hear you are enjoying the BHA-1.  Thanks for posting your impressions. 
beyersmile.png

Mike

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #2,072 of 2,442
Indeed. I actually think it is underpriced.
biggrin.gif

I cannot agree with this. Yes the BHA-1 is a solid amp but for the price you can match it or surpass it easily IMO. I was never so disappointed with a amp until I purchased the BHA-1. It was good but for the price I expected so much more. When I chose other amps to power my cans over the BHA-1 I knew it was time to sell it.

I was pretty impressed with this amp at first...then over time realized I was more impressed with my ability to buy the BHA-1. In truth it didn't perform per dollar as I thought it should.

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #2,073 of 2,442
I cannot agree with this. Yes the BHA-1 is a solid amp but for the price you can match it or surpass it easily IMO. I was never so disappointed with a amp until I purchased the BHA-1. It was good but for the price I expected so much more. When I chose other amps to power my cans over the BHA-1 I knew it was time to sell it.

I was pretty impressed with this amp at first...then over time realized I was more impressed with my ability to buy the BHA-1. In truth it didn't perform per dollar as I thought it should.
I terms of it's sound, what specifically did you not like about it? Personally, I have not heard too many headphone amps, since coming over from 20+ years in 2 channel stereo.

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #2,074 of 2,442

I cannot agree with this. ................... I was never so disappointed with a amp until I purchased the BHA-1. It was good but for the price I expected so much more. ..........................................

I’m curious too…. the BHA-1 is not going to add anything to the recording, it’s not going to make things more exciting, it’s not going to enhance the base or treble, it’s not going to increase the soundstage……unless it’s on the recording/music the Bryston is just going to reproduce the electrical signal as it is on the recording through the phones extremely even handedly with low noise….it’s an amplifier…nothing more nothing less….but IMHO and excellent one at that….if one is looking for enhancements look elsewhere....mine is staying right were it is....
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #2,075 of 2,442
You know what? It does all of that well. In hindsight I think i should have kept my mouth shut. :) You are right, as an amp it does exactly what it should. It does it very well too. I need to stay out of this thread because when it comes down to it I prefer tube amps which do color the sound so I do not think it is fair for me to judge this amp.

Personally I found that SQ was no better than some other solid state amps I own at half the price but where the BHA-1 shines is in it's silence. It is a dead quiet amp.

So ignore me my friends. I like color.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #2,077 of 2,442
  I’m curious too…. the BHA-1 is not going to add anything to the recording, it’s not going to make things more exciting, it’s not going to enhance the base or treble, it’s not going to increase the soundstage……unless it’s on the recording/music the Bryston is just going to reproduce the electrical signal as it is on the recording through the phones extremely even handedly with low noise….it’s an amplifier…nothing more nothing less….but IMHO and excellent one at that….if one is looking for enhancements look elsewhere....mine is staying right were it is....
wink.gif

Much agreed.

You know what? It does all of that well. In hindsight I think i should have kept my mouth shut. :) You are right, as an amp it does exactly what it should. It does it very well too. I need to stay out of this thread because when it comes down to it I prefer tube amps which do color the sound so I do not think it is fair for me to judge this amp.

Personally I found that SQ was no better than some other solid state amps I own at half the price but where the BHA-1 shines is in it's silence. It is a dead quiet amp.

So ignore me my friends. I like color.

Understood.  Makes sense now...

Mike

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #2,078 of 2,442
I believe that since the majority of owners, myself included, feel it is super neutral (as they say "straight wire with gain"), there is always the ability to tweak one's desired end sound w/DACS and HPs. I vacillate between accuracy , high def vs. softer, rounder edges. At that point I can swap things around as needed. I think that is the best compliment you could give this amp. ☺

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,079 of 2,442
^^^^
Yep, why have your amp 'color' the sound when you can swap HP's/other inline components for the desired effect.

Personally, I like my amplification to focus on accuracy.

Mike

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #2,080 of 2,442
My BHA-1 is for sale if anyone is interested.

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #2,082 of 2,442
No there will not be any difference in volume between the 3 pin and 4 pin balanced headphone outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back