New Head-Fi'er, Headphone Choice Dilemma
Jun 28, 2012 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ranmasaotome

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys!, so I've actually been around Head-Fi, reading around and reading reviews for years, entertaining/looking/researching and what not. And pulled the trigger on the ATH-M50S about a year and a half ago. I've loved these cans for awhile now, but i feel like i could probably find something possibly better. The issue i'm having is i have NOTHING to base this assumption on. I have no idea what is better, but maybe you guys can paint a better picture for me if i give you my choice of music.

1. I Primarily listen to J-Pop, Electro/Dance/House/Techno. Specifically; Perfume, Capsule, Ami Suzuki, Deadmau5
  2. My Second choice of music is Alternative, Rock, R&B. Specifically; Angela Aki, Utada Hikaru, Maroon 5, Micheal Buble
  3. Sparingly ill listen to Classical and Bossa Nova.

My wants
  1. Natural sounding for Soundstage sensitive tracks
  2. Able to handle some hard dance/techno with little to no distortion
  3. Comfort!!!!
  4. Build quality/design
  5. cans that don't require amps, but are optional (i may make an exception to this if the cans in question are REALLY good sounding with an amp)

i know price doesnt say everything about a product, but i really don't want to pay less than $150 like i did on my Audio Technica's. And i don't want something that's old, and has been around forever (unless its godly); looking for something relatively new and modern looking. and i'm willing to pay max $400 for a nice pair of cans. I've actually been looking at either the AKG Q 701, or the HD 598, or even the HD 580's, but would rather get something that looks a lot like the AKG 701's or HD700's (the HD700 being totally out of my budget)

What say you fellow head-fi'ers?

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 12
the Q701's need considerable amping and some say they have weak, anemic bass. I haven't heard them myself but I've been wanting them for months and plan to buy the moment I see a good deal on them.

I think a pair that fits your wants better than the Q701's is the Hifiman HE400. Like the Q701's, I haven't heard them, so I'm just going by what ppl are saying here about them. What about the Denon D2k/D5k? I have the D5000 and they sound amazing for dance/house/techno.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
the Q701's need considerable amping and some say they have weak, anemic bass. I haven't heard them myself but I've been wanting them for months and plan to buy the moment I see a good deal on them.

I think a pair that fits your wants better than the Q701's is the Hifiman HE400. Like the Q701's, I haven't heard them, so I'm just going by what ppl are saying here about them. What about the Denon D2k/D5k? I have the D5000 and they sound amazing for dance/house/techno.

Whats the differences between the HE400 and the Senn's HD650?. And the D5000 Looks good... i well put that on my possible budget busting list (since it looks ill need amps for all these guys anyway lol), but i need more info on these cans or others to make my choice.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 12
And what about the HE-500 to the AH-D5000? what do you think comes on top.

Worried about the D5000's, cause its real wood, i need to treat it like gold lol. But it does looks quite amazing so far. While i appreciate nice clean Bass, im reading around that the D5000's may not be suitable for classical (i have pop tracks that have classical parts, that i highly appreciate), but since there reference cans, they should handle this just fine right?

I'm seeing theirs a clear difference between audiophile headphones (ones u need to play with EQ's to get the most realistic sounds) as opposed to preset/reference cans that just play the music as its intended. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 12
I have not heard the aforementioned models but I just received the Denon HD 2000 and Omg they sound amazing. I listen to everything from Classical to country to R&B to Rap to Pop to Electronica to Dance to oldies, everything basically, and so far the sound is crazy from these! I have an amp on the way but right now I have it paired with my Zune HD and these sound great. Maybe this may be a better fit for you?

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
I have not heard the aforementioned models but I just received the Denon HD 2000 and Omg they sound amazing. I listen to everything from Classical to country to R&B to Rap to Pop to Electronica to Dance to oldies, everything basically, and so far the sound is crazy from these! I have an amp on the way but right now I have it paired with my Zune HD and these sound great. Maybe this may be a better fit for you?

Ohh thoes may have hit the sweet spot for price/quality 

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Hypothetically speaking, say i get the HD 2000's, What is the best Recommended amp? I've read around and it sounds like the E17 is probably what i should be looking to get.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 12
Yup, i'm pulling the trigger, im going to order the HD 2000's, the amount of reviews of people who've have nothing but good things to say about them, coupled with familiar music interests is whats pushing me. That and these seem to be Good ALL around for all genres of music. I am willing to give these a shot. The FiiO E17 will have to come next week with my next paycheck lol. But supposedly these can run without amps "ok", hopefully my HP Envy's jack pushes enough. That or ill try my Sony Receiver.

Thanks silentstorm27

Edit: screw the paycheck, got some in my savings lmao, everything should be here friday/saturday. the FiiO may make it saturday or monday. the redistributor; from whom i bought the FiiO, is literally 15 minutes from my house >_> but they have no store, lame sauce. Fancy if i could just walk into the warehouse and buy it there lol. i hope shipping we'll be relativly quick. That and i bothered to order the Firestone Audio FR-H001 Headphone stand. Excited! and now i'm broke XD

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 12
I don't think you will be sorry. I listened to them last night for about 5 hours straight and heard them really come alive. I don't know if that's the "burn in" happening or my ears becoming used to them but the clarity is kick ass and the bass is simply warm and wonderful. Legend has it you should give them 100 hours to "burn in" or get broken in and so far I am a believer. I just put them on this morning and wow, they sound different even from the time I took them out of the packaging. Update when you get them and listen for a while! I will report back when my amplifier gets here to let you know if it makes a noticeable difference.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #10 of 12
You would absolutely love a pair of Denon D2000's.  Very easy to drive and are very warm sounding.  I put mine on when listening to Electronic or Hiphop.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I don't think you will be sorry. I listened to them last night for about 5 hours straight and heard them really come alive. I don't know if that's the "burn in" happening or my ears becoming used to them but the clarity is kick ass and the bass is simply warm and wonderful. Legend has it you should give them 100 hours to "burn in" or get broken in and so far I am a believer. I just put them on this morning and wow, they sound different even from the time I took them out of the packaging. Update when you get them and listen for a while! I will report back when my amplifier gets here to let you know if it makes a noticeable difference.

Listening to them as i type this, and holy cow, you are absolutely right. The bass is is simply warm and wonderful. And the clarity is amazing so far. and i can already tell it'll get better once the cans burn in more. Holy Crap silentstorm27, Even without the amp its amazing, cant wait to see what these guys can do with one. 3 Thumbs up! Thanks :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back