New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #378 of 528
Well ive got some LCD4s on the way. Im turning into an addict with LCD3s and LCDxc too. Be interesting to see how they all compare on my burson conductor 3x ref. I must plug in my shure SE530. and sennheiser IE80 too. Although i usually only use IEMs on the go with my AK70 and AKSP1000M

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #379 of 528
Hi Guys,

I have had the Burson C3X since Monday and probably have about 30 hours on it. I bought it especially to power some Audeze LCD4. The amp sounds very powerful and detailed but I find it to be focused predominantly on the midrange at the expense of bass and sounds quite light in its approach. There is definitely bass there when needed but the overall sound does not sound "meaty" like i am used to my Cayin iha-6. I am finding the sound like i am listening through a pair of monitors - as in very clear and precise but maybe not as musical as I expected. Has anyone else found this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Darren.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #380 of 528
Hi Guys,

I have had the Burson C3X since Monday and probably have about 30 hours on it. I bought it especially to power some Audeze LCD4. The amp sounds very powerful and detailed but I find it to be focused predominantly on the midrange at the expense of bass and sounds quite light in its approach. There is definitely bass there when needed but the overall sound does not sound "meaty" like i am used to my Cayin iha-6. I am finding the sound like i am listening through a pair of monitors - as in very clear and precise but maybe not as musical as I expected. Has anyone else found this?

Darren.
Possibly you need to get used to the more neutral balance of the Burson? I'd also suggest trying the balanced 4pin XLR connection with balanced cables.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #381 of 528
Possibly you need to get used to the more neutral balance of the Burson? I'd also suggest trying the balanced 4pin XLR connection with balanced cables.
Thanks for the suggestion John. I am currently using a balanced cable into the 3XR. I have a pair of Focal Clears that I am going to try tomorrow just to see if the Audeze LCD 4 and Burson are not a good match together.

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #382 of 528
Hi Guys,

Darren.
You are hearing what I heard with the Conductor 3X although I previously owned the Conductor 3XR. I wanted a little more low end presence and a fuller sounding presentation. Everything else the C3X/C3XR does exceptionally well. I even upgraded the op-amps to the Sparkos Labs SS3602's. They are step up to the V6 Vivids in every sound category but they did not flesh out more bass unfortunately. Another option is you could try the V6 classics. They are warmer and more musical to see if they are more to your liking.

I sold my C3XR and moved on to the Flux Labs FA-10. It's exactly the sound I was searching for. The notes are weighted, the sound is full bodied with plenty of dynamics and bass slam. It's added some life and musicality to my Susvara's. The C3XR had no problem driving the Susvara's it's just that I felt it was missing some sub bass and fullness to sound like what the FA-10 brings to the table.

Oct 23, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #383 of 528
Thanks for the suggestion John. I am currently using a balanced cable into the 3XR. I have a pair of Focal Clears that I am going to try tomorrow just to see if the Audeze LCD 4 and Burson are not a good match together.

It's probably a good idea to give it another chance and a bit more time. Although the only headphone i don't like with my C3R so far are the (planar) Quad ERA-1. Coincidence or not? They are however not nearly as power hungry as the LCD 4. All my other headphones sound sublime on the C3R. Imo Burson has found here an excellent combination of punch, control, very good soundstage and a rather neutral sound signature with just a bit of added warmth to counter the Sabre glare. I'm still very much enamored of it.

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #384 of 528
It's probably a good idea to give it another chance and a bit more time. Although the only headphone i don't like with my C3R so far are the (planar) Quad ERA-1. Coincidence or not? They are however not nearly as power hungry as the LCD 4. All my other headphones sound sublime on the C3R. Imo Burson has found here an excellent combination of punch, control, very good soundstage and a rather neutral sound signature with just a bit of added warmth to counter the Sabre glare. I'm still very much enamored of it.
I'm using the Burson Conductor Reference 3X and it powers the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 and Mysphere 3.2 without any fuss whatsoever with either the single ended or the balanced jacks - power with silent backgrounds, great dynamics, no obvious glare and excellent bottom end response, together with a superb midrange clarity. It was a step up from the Mytek Stereo 192 DAC, which was brighter and more fiddly to pair with a computer..

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #385 of 528
Hi Guys,

Darren.
Maybe try some high quality aftermarket copper cables? Talk to the cable manufacturer about your needs and combination. Alex at wywires comes highly recommended and communicated well, but I ended up ordering Cardas through an Australian bricks and mortar shop. As mentioned you could always email burson about opamp rolling, Alex is great, very helpful and honest.

I bought the conductor 3X reference /LCD3 pre-release package from Burson and love it. Needed closed back too, love the LCDxc with the conductor 3X reference. Just ordered some LCD4s. Anticipating they will sound even better.

Using balanced all the time, except in my home office where I have 30yo Marantz CD80 (upspecced with burson opamps, low jitter digital clock, new caps and a Philips double crown TDA1541A S2 ) and PM80 amp. The headphone stages on the CD80 and PM80 are sensational. CD80 doesn't quite have the same headroom. As an integrated amp PM80 does 20 watts pc class A switchable to 100 watts AB. Through the headphone socket it has enough drive to make your ears bleed.

Was happy with the Audeze OEM cables except for length and terminations. Had some custom length and termination Parsec cables made by Cardas. One 5m terminated with a 4pin XLR and a short cable with a 2.5mm 4 pole plug to run my Audeze balanced from my Astell and Kern SP1000M and AK70. That sounds divine too, despite all advice to the contrary. But I'm expecting to run out of headroom with the 200 ohm LCD4s.

Oh and as a preamp and DAC in my main system with a Rotel RB1080 200wpc power amp, and some floorstanding Dalisuite 3.5s the conductor 3X reference is divine. It is a better preamp than my legendary Musical Fidelity Nuvista pre, #276/500 made. I never expected that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #386 of 528
Hey guys,

thanks for the feedback - some great ideas and much food for thought. I did try the LCD4 on low gain to see if any difference in sound - not really but as expected had to turn the volume knob up higher.. :)

I am going to try my Focal Clears of both balanced and single ended to see if the sound is any thicker.

Thanks for your help and take care.

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #388 of 528

Users who are viewing this thread

Back