New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
May 29, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #407 of 528
Don't most powered subs split the sound into high pass frequencies (passed out of the subwoofer via an output to be played by the speakers) and low pass frequencies that are played by the subwoofer itself. I'm guessing the connections should go:
Burson Conductor 3 -> SubWoofer -> speakers
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

May 29, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #408 of 528
Would that be at the expense of one of the powered speakers I want to use as there are only two xlr ports each for both Pre Out and Dac Out?
Just get V+ and GND from one XLR plug and connect it to the RCA of the sub.

Find someone that has a good understanding on how to wire balanced and unbalanced connections (without shorting V- to GND!!!) and can also dissassemble a XLR plug and wire your sub cable. Otherwise call Thomman and let them find a solution for you.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #409 of 528
I can hear a rather disturbing hum when nothing is played. Sounds like 50 Hz. Where could it be coming from? Input is USB from Hiby R8. The same when I disconnect it. Output is Empyrean on XML out. High gain, volume 1. The Conductor 3XR itself is not even grounded. Interesting, that the hum diappears when I touch the metal surface of the Conductor 3. Any ideas for a remedy? I do not want to keep touching it continuously.

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #410 of 528
I can hear a rather disturbing hum when nothing is played. Sounds like 50 Hz. Where could it be coming from? Input is USB from Hiby R8. The same when I disconnect it. Output is Empyrean on XML out. High gain, volume 1. The Conductor 3XR itself is not even grounded. Interesting, that the hum diappears when I touch the metal surface of the Conductor 3. Any ideas for a remedy? I do not want to keep touching it continuously.
Just curious if you managed to find a solution to your problem? I'm hearing audible hum that comes and goes from two speakers i have connected to the 3X but I'm assuming its transformer hum caused by DC in the mains. Have purchased a DC blocker to see if that does the trick.

Jul 4, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #411 of 528
Hi guys, is it possible to use the tone controller Shiit Loki with Conductor 3XR? As I understand it should be connected in between amp and DAC, but I only have 3XR. Perhaps there are some, I don't know, transformers that can be connected to PC to which I can plug Loki etc. I also have IDSD Signature, can I use it as DAC with 3XR? If yes, what the connection chain should be? Please help! Thanks!

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #412 of 528
Just curious if you managed to find a solution to your problem? I'm hearing audible hum that comes and goes from two speakers i have connected to the 3X but I'm assuming its transformer hum caused by DC in the mains. Have purchased a DC blocker to see if that does the trick.
No, no solution yet. But now, that you mention, I will pursue it further.
How did you connect the speakers? Directly to the headphone out?
Transformer hum from which transformer?

Jul 4, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #413 of 528
Hi guys, is it possible to use the tone controller Shiit Loki with Conductor 3XR? As I understand it should be connected in between amp and DAC, but I only have 3XR. Perhaps there are some, I don't know, transformers that can be connected to PC to which I can plug Loki etc. I also have IDSD Signature, can I use it as DAC with 3XR? If yes, what the connection chain should be? Please help! Thanks!
The simple answer: not really.
You are correct, the loki has to be connected between amp and DAC. Loki has single ended (SE) input and output. You can connect the iDSD line out to the Loki input, but then you need an amp that you connect to the loki output.
In principle the 3XR has an amp, but here there are two shaky issues here:
1. Connecting SE out to balanced input, which I would not do without knowing exactly the circuits used in both sides. Could result damaging the equipments.
2. As far as I know the 3XR analogue input goes directly to an A/D converter, and the digital signal goes again to the D/A converter in the 3XR. Sounds too much converting for perfect sound - however I have never tried. Anyone using the 3XR analogue input? Opinions?

Jul 4, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #414 of 528
The simple answer: not really.
You are correct, the loki has to be connected between amp and DAC. Loki has single ended (SE) input and output. You can connect the iDSD line out to the Loki input, but then you need an amp that you connect to the loki output.
In principle the 3XR has an amp, but here there are two shaky issues here:
1. Connecting SE out to balanced input, which I would not do without knowing exactly the circuits used in both sides. Could result damaging the equipments.
2. As far as I know the 3XR analogue input goes directly to an A/D converter, and the digital signal goes again to the D/A converter in the 3XR. Sounds too much converting for perfect sound - however I have never tried. Anyone using the 3XR analogue input? Opinions?
Thank you! Yes, that's what I was thinking too, basically. I just wanted to apply some EQ to my headphones, and was doing it in Foobar and Equalizer APO, but I think a hardware tone controller can do a better job. To operate those digital EQs properly requires an engineering degree! :) Whereas with Loki all you need to do is turn a few knobs with better results! What do you think about it?

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #415 of 528
@Newsee @Gayron all you need to do is to ground your 3XR. Usually this is done via the USB cable if using a desktop with grounding, but in case of using a laptop without grounding then try something else (audio cable connected to a grounded amplifier).

You can also switch vice-versa the plug in the outlet (live with neutral) and see if hum goes away. Or check the outlets from another room.

DC will not cause this, not the internal "transformer", as C3X is using switching supply follwed by linear regulators inside.

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #416 of 528
@Newsee @Gayron all you need to do is to ground your 3XR. Usually this is done via the USB cable if using a desktop with grounding, but in case of using a laptop without grounding then try something else (audio cable connected to a grounded amplifier).

You can also switch vice-versa the plug in the outlet (live with neutral) and see if hum goes away. Or check the outlets from another room.

DC will not cause this, not the internal "transformer", as C3X is using switching supply follwed by linear regulators inside.
I recently moved, and hoped that will be better in the new place, but it is not. So the different room option is already tried.

I checked the plug reversal. It was not so easy, it needs completely silence around to have the hum easily noticable. But does not help.

I use mobile equipment as transport (R8, Kann Cube, LG V60), so the grounding will need a different approach. Someone mentioned somewhere ifi audio groundhog.
https://ifi-audio.com/products/groundhog/
The described 'touch' test is exactly describes what I experience.
Unfortunately that is also not good enough, as there is neither RCA on 3XR, nor free USB. Maybe I can attach a big yellow-green striped grounding cable with a big screw to the nice aluminium body :)

Thanks for the tips. Sooner or later I will find a solution, as the direction is given.

(Btw. it was @Sammy79 who has huming problems, not @Gayron)

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #417 of 528
Sorry @Sammy79, but this happening when I'm using my cell before drinking coffee. :)

You could try the Groundhog, indeed. Basically, this is what Groundhog adapter does too, but please take care of what you're doing! You need to have a real Earth on your mains outlet (Earth resistance <5 Ohms) and Residual Current Protection operational (<=30mA)!

You may also ping Burson guys too, they're usually very responsive.

@Newsee @Sammy79, is the hum identical intensity no matter gain level used?

@Gayron, I use SoundSource + AU Sound on MacOS and APO on Windows. Hardware EQ can not be used with such a combo DAC/headamp.

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #419 of 528
To operate those digital EQs properly requires an engineering degree! :)
They are not that bad! More I can not comment, because I do have the engineering degree :)
Whereas with Loki all you need to do is turn a few knobs with better results! What do you think about it?
Well, that is really depends on your history (gear heard and used to, music regularly listened to), and expectations. According to your signature you have Diana. This is so good it shows all shortcomings in your chain. If you are used to the 3XR which I find really good, it will not be easy to build a chain that takes the Loki and sounds similarly good.
About the Loki I can't say anything, but any additional element in the chain has the possibility to decrease quality.

Since I am in this headphone hobby I am on the sort of purist side. I am trying to use equipment that fits to my preferences without EQ. Therefore the 3XR and the Empyrean.

I think there must be some easy to operate player EQs. But it is really up to you.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #420 of 528
Our Groundhog+ comes with a spade converter, it should work :L3000:
You are amazing!
Do you really react on every message on every thread where ifi audio is mentioned?😉

The spade converter will probably not work, because there is no grounding screw on the 3XR - if I understand correctly what a spade converter is.
However, the digital coax in is an RCA socket, so the RCA plug may work.

I really wonder from where this hum is coming from. It is always there, very low constant volume, independently of the volume setting, even at 0 it is there, both at high and low gain, on both the SE and the XLR out. When I touch the front panel, it disappears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back