New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Dec 24, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #91 of 528
@Gerelt971, I've used my Focusrite Solo 3 USB-C cable that worked from the first time.

Of, BTW, forgot to say: Let the Christmas party begin! I just got this morning my C3X from FEDEX. :)

IMG_0420_low-res.jpg

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #92 of 528
I'm doing the below so you don't need to do it! Warranty is more important than what's inside...for few of us. :)

IMG_0426_low-res.jpg

Notice the longer screws with those yellow spacers

IMG_0427_low-res.jpg

Now opamps will stay perfectly in their DIP8 sockets even when shipped overseas, due to those rubbers from top-case

IMG_0434_low-res.jpg

I do like the ground plane surrounding all the components. Also, the big TO-220 transistors that were not missing from BURSON's headamps in the past decade

IMG_0446_low-res.jpg

Interesting approach with the AKM5394AVS A/D converter (123dB dynamic) that...not sure what it does yet, maybe for the microphone-IN, maybe for the XLR-IN for the preamp (under the BT card)

IMG_0449_low-res.jpg

The two ES9038Q2M DAC chips (dynamic of 129dB) visible on the board (under the USB transport card)

Attachments

• IMG_0434_low-res.jpg
    IMG_0434_low-res.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #93 of 528
The guy from Burson said they're shipping in chronological order. Seeing as how I ordered mine on the last day of preorder, it's understandable why I still dont have mine. I wonder how different this will sound from my HA-160ds

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #94 of 528
The guy from Burson said they're shipping in chronological order. Seeing as how I ordered mine on the last day of preorder, it's understandable why I still dont have mine. I wonder how different this will sound from my HA-160ds
Headphonics just did a review of the Conductor 3:

https://headfonics.com/2019/12/burson-conductor-3-review/

Since it is practically the same topology as the 3X (with the exception of the 2 Single-Ended outputs verses the Balanced), it should give you a reasonable idea of what to expect. Truth be told, I thought the reviewer just sounded like a Burson fanboy...until my 3X opened up and blew me away.

Seriously. Words. Fail. Me.

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Dec 25, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #95 of 528
I'm doing the below so you don't need to do it! Warranty is more important than what's inside...for few of us. :)

Notice the longer screws with those yellow spacers

Now opamps will stay perfectly in their DIP8 sockets even when shipped overseas, due to those rubbers from top-case

I do like the ground plane surrounding all the components. Also, the big TO-220 transistors that were not missing from BURSON's headamps in the past decade

Interesting approach with the AKM5394AVS A/D converter (123dB dynamic) that...not sure what it does yet, maybe for the microphone-IN, maybe for the XLR-IN for the preamp (under the BT card)

The two ES9038Q2M DAC chips (dynamic of 129dB) visible on the board (under the USB transport card)

Lucky you do post detailed circuit layout

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #98 of 528
For playback I got 32-bit/384KHz on PCM and DSD512 (22.1MHz) on DSD. I tested it yesterday with few hundreds of play/pause & play/stop and I got zero/nada hiccups; the playback was fluent without any latencies, no matter I used ASIO and Burson's 4.59 drivers or the native Win10 drivers and WASAPI. Very mature drivers I guess, but probably the XMOS transport is very well implemented as well.

For mic recording, if I remember from yesterday night, 16-bit/48KHz, but I can do another test soon if really needed. For mic we have the CM6327A ADC with a dynamic of 96dB, so more than enough for a mic-input I'd say.

If there's something to blame right now, then it's the USB-C cable. It's very fragile and at least for me it was not working, I mean the DAC was seen by the computer, but during playback the buffers couldn't sync. I should probably use the USB-C adapter and a regular USB-A cable, but I found it easier to use the USB-C to USB-A cable from my Focusrite Scarlett solo 3 and it worked like a charm from the first second.

What can I say about the sound...I'm stunned by how many details can be heard with my balanced LCD-2F. The bass strikes with authority and the soundstage seems bigger on XLR versus the regular single-ended jack. It took me few seconds to remove the unbalanced/balanced cables from my LCD-2F, but I still find the soundstage bigger when going balanced.

Dec 27, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #99 of 528
The Burson Conductor 3X arrived today and it's a really nice piece of gear. I'm listening to CD after CD and loving the clean, dynamic sound. No brightness with the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 and unbalanced output. Nice bottom end too - brought out the sound of Steve Gadd's kick drum on Chick Corea's "Super Trio" (which sadly has just gone OOP) exactly as it would sound live - dynamic and "taut" bass impact without any treble brightness in his cymbal work. More natural than the Mytek DSD192 DAC, which, in itself, is no slouch, under the same conditions.
Software set up was a breeze and no problems at all with detection of playback of a Blu-Ray Audio disc.
This really is a premium product.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #104 of 528
C3X_headphones_USB-input_20Hz_ copy.png

20Hz square signal representation via the XLR headphones (USB input)
This is how the perfect 20Hz should look like if there are no caps in signal path (direct-coupled or DC-coupled).

This headamp has the perfect bass and can easily drive all hard-to-drive cans, including HE-6.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #105 of 528
Arrived today with Hifiman HE6SE, listen happily :)
P_20191230_233830_1_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back