New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #437 of 528
It’s hard to tell, because everyone’s system is different, but when I tried to use my phone as source connected directly to the Burson (or in the past to any other dac) I didn’t like it. Also, I don’t think you have any way to listen to any high res material, FWIW
Yeah I get you. I dont really listen to High res on my headphone rig so this is not a major issue to me.
I am more wondering would adding a dedicated DAC to the chain make a difference. Or is the DAC in the Burson likely to be as good.
If it is then maybe I am better off looking at upgrading my headphones......

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #438 of 528
Got you! Again, I’m roughly in the same situation, I’m very pleased with the sound of my system, but I’m wondering if it can be improved. I recently upgraded my headphones, so that is going to be my suggestion, before changing the DAC, or the amp. I’m sure the Burson won’t let you down, even with high end headphones

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #439 of 528
Got you! Again, I’m roughly in the same situation, I’m very pleased with the sound of my system, but I’m wondering if it can be improved. I recently upgraded my headphones, so that is going to be my suggestion, before changing the DAC, or the amp. I’m sure the Burson won’t let you down, even with high end headphones
Yeah I am sure some on here use it with the likes of Susvara etc. Thanks for your input

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #440 of 528
It seems to me that as I am Roon user then a Roon endpoint connected to my Burson would be the simple way? Am I missing something obvious here? Like I say my knowledge is limited.
Steps to improve:
1) Roon Nucleus => USB => Burson Audio Conductor 3X Reference => Hifiman HEK , Sennheiser HD800S
2) Best headphone cable 4 pin XLR
3) Best USB cable
4) Burson Super Charger 3A

Perhaps this will help you.

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #441 of 528
Steps to improve:
1) Roon Nucleus => USB => Burson Audio Conductor 3X Reference => Hifiman HEK , Sennheiser HD800S
2) Best headphone cable 4 pin XLR
3) Best USB cable
4) Burson Super Charger 3A

Perhaps this will help you.
Thanks for the reply , much appreciated
My nucleus is downstairs and can’t be connected to the Burson I am afraid
Points 2 and 3 , without wanting to start another debate on this , I am not really a believer in cables making a huge difference . Well when I have experimented in the past I have not heard a difference . Mind I am 58 and could be my ears
Point 4 I will investigate , thank you

Sep 10, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #443 of 528
Hi everybody, as far as I understood from this thread, I can connect two powered speakers (Airpulse A200) directly to 3XR pre out, is that correct? Thanks!

Sep 10, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #448 of 528
I don’t know if the initial question was mentioning the camera kit, he only mentioned the iPhone was connected to the Conductor. If he’s using the camera kit and not Bluetooth he’s fine with high res too
Yes I have the camera kit connected to the usb cable

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #450 of 528
Looking for some advice and guidance please

My Roon Nucleus is my Roon Core but this is downstairs so currently I do not use it for my headphone listening as the Burson C3XR is not Roon ready. This is why I use my IPhone to stream TIDAL. I have my own music collection but I now use Tidal almost exclusively.

So the IPhone is connected to the C3XR and as I say the sound to me is tremendous, the best I have ever had. But I am no expert and my knowledge is not up there with some of you guys on here so that’s why I am asking ….can I make improvements?

It seems to me that as I am Roon user then a Roon endpoint connected to my Burson would be the simple way? Am I missing something obvious here? Like I say my knowledge is limited.

I bought the Burson as it’s a one box solution, it has a very capable DAC apparently. I guess this is why I am asking can I really make significant improvements.

This hobby is a strange one , 9 months ago I moved to a detached house and I thought my HP listening would be less and less, but it’s the opposite I seem to be enjoying them more and more so I am wondering can I improve things further.
Difficult question. Of course you can improve, but some questions first:
1. What sort of music are you listening to mostly?
2. What are your sound preferences?
3. What do you consider a significant improvement?
4. Which aspect of the sound do you want to improve? (Bass, trebe, mids, details, stage)
5. How much money are you ready to throw in?

6. The most significant change would be to take a new HP.
(I love the Meze Empyrean on the 3XP, but any recommendation shall be based on the answers to the above questions)
7. Add a tube amp, use the 3XR dac.
8. I would not think about additional dac alone, the xlr input on the 3XR can produce strange stuff.
9. Use the optical input (or perhaps the coax). I used to use my android phone into the usb input, but recently found that if I use the Kann Cube with optical out to the 3XR, the sound is smoother. I would not call the difference significant, but definitely there, and more pleasant to listen to.

10. I also have the new Burson power supply. The bass might be improved, but I need to make some additional A/B listening to be able to say if it not only imagined in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back