New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Sep 12, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #451 of 528
Difficult question. Of course you can improve, but some questions first:
1. What sort of music are you listening to mostly?
2. What are your sound preferences?
3. What do you consider a significant improvement?
4. Which aspect of the sound do you want to improve? (Bass, trebe, mids, details, stage)
5. How much money are you ready to throw in?

6. The most significant change would be to take a new HP.
(I love the Meze Empyrean on the 3XP, but any recommendation shall be based on the answers to the above questions)
7. Add a tube amp, use the 3XR dac.
8. I would not think about additional dac alone, the xlr input on the 3XR can produce strange stuff.
9. Use the optical input (or perhaps the coax). I used to use my android phone into the usb input, but recently found that if I use the Cann Cube with optical out to the 3XR, the sound is smoother. I would not call the difference significant, but definitely there, and more pleasant to listen to.

10. I also have the new Burson power supply. The bass might be improved, but I need to make some additional A/B listening to be able to say if it not only imagined in.
Thanks for the detailed reply, I will try and answer each point, if I dont answer a point it is because I either dont know or its not that important.
1 Varies - i know this is vague but it is true. Last night for eg AJ Tracey, Kacey Musgraves, The Joy Formidable and Chvrches. Classical is the only music I never listen to
3 not sure I Just thought that a better HP would give me an improvement
4 again difficult , I love the bass on the HEK , but its missing on the HD800S. I love the treble on both HPs and the soundstage on the HD800S is excelellent IMO
5 5 TO 6K depending on trade ins for my two current headphones
10 Yes I have been looking into this option too

I think its between the Susvara , 1266TC and the Final Audio 8000D

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #452 of 528
Does anyone have any idea where I can get any information about the filters ? I have searched and googled and cant find anything
It would be nice to know what they are trying to achieve

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #453 of 528
Saber ES9038Q2M
There's more information than you ever wanted to know about the chip (including the filters) in this document at the link above

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #454 of 528
Saber ES9038Q2M
There's more information than you ever wanted to know about the chip (including the filters) in this document at the link above
Exactly what I was looking for .....but only graphs so difficult for me to understand. I will have a read though , thanks.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #456 of 528
has anyone noticed an audible difference when changing filters? i haven't experimented yet but it's on my list of things to try.
Not yet, but its probably the only way I will find out if there is an audible difference or what they are aiming for :relaxed:

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #457 of 528
Not yet, but its probably the only way I will find out if there is an audible difference or what they are aiming for :relaxed:

So you went for the TC? Or not decided yet?
How do you find the improvement?

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #458 of 528
So you went for the TC? Or not decided yet?
How do you find the improvement?
Yes I went for the TC, its fantastic so far. I am struggling with the comfort a little but that is probably as I am not used to wearing HPs for 6 hours plus.
I do not want to do a comparison yet as I struggle to do that so I usually wait a week before I listen to my other , the HEK
However the Abyss seems to have more air , more open wider soundstage, and a better bass so far. So far I am happy

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #459 of 528
Difficult question. Of course you can improve, but some questions first:
1. What sort of music are you listening to mostly?
2. What are your sound preferences?
3. What do you consider a significant improvement?
4. Which aspect of the sound do you want to improve? (Bass, trebe, mids, details, stage)
5. How much money are you ready to throw in?

6. The most significant change would be to take a new HP.
(I love the Meze Empyrean on the 3XP, but any recommendation shall be based on the answers to the above questions)
7. Add a tube amp, use the 3XR dac.
8. I would not think about additional dac alone, the xlr input on the 3XR can produce strange stuff.
9. Use the optical input (or perhaps the coax). I used to use my android phone into the usb input, but recently found that if I use the Cann Cube with optical out to the 3XR, the sound is smoother. I would not call the difference significant, but definitely there, and more pleasant to listen to.

10. I also have the new Burson power supply. The bass might be improved, but I need to make some additional A/B listening to be able to say if it not only imagined in.
Do you think the new Power supply makes a difference and is it worth the outlay in your opinion.

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #460 of 528
Very difficult to answer these questions.
If it makes a difference? Perhaps. I swapped the power supply several times, listening to different tracks. There were sometimes a feeling that the sound might be more spacious with the Burson power supply. But it is less then obvious. Probably I would not pick the one in a blind test.
Does it worth? If I believe what I felt above, then yes. If not, then who knows. This is still the cheapest part of the chain that can be easily changed. Opamp rolling needs some courage and skill. All other things, like other cable, HP, source, amp, cost much more.
Why I do have it? I have a little problem with a faint 50Hz hum in very calm environment when using the Empyrean. It goes away when I touch the body of the C3XR. It is not noticable with the K812.
I was in contact with Burson, they recommended the new power supply. Of course it did not help with the hum, but now I have it, so I use it happily.

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #461 of 528
Very difficult to answer these questions.
If it makes a difference? Perhaps. I swapped the power supply several times, listening to different tracks. There were sometimes a feeling that the sound might be more spacious with the Burson power supply. But it is less then obvious. Probably I would not pick the one in a blind test.
Does it worth? If I believe what I felt above, then yes. If not, then who knows. This is still the cheapest part of the chain that can be easily changed. Opamp rolling needs some courage and skill. All other things, like other cable, HP, source, amp, cost much more.
Why I do have it? I have a little problem with a faint 50Hz hum in very calm environment when using the Empyrean. It goes away when I touch the body of the C3XR. It is not noticable with the K812.
I was in contact with Burson, they recommended the new power supply. Of course it did not help with the hum, but now I have it, so I use it happily.
The AKG K812 headphones are rather nice with the Burson C3XR, aren't they? That Burson also pairs well with a Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 and Mysphere 3.2.

Oct 2, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #462 of 528
The AKG K812 headphones are rather nice with the Burson C3XR, aren't they? That Burson also pairs well with a Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 and Mysphere 3.2.
K812. Nice memories, my first piece towards the rabbit hole :) It was very nice sounding with the the home Denon hifi, featuring some Burr-Brown dac. In the meantime I have learned that it is usually too bright for my taste. The C3XR is emphasizing this brightness even more.
I find the Meze Empyrean - C3XR pairing very pleasing for me.

Oct 3, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #463 of 528
Indeed, AKG K812 + Conductor 3X is a awesome combo. Even better with the right source : I was using Fiio M11 Pro on coaxial, then I switched to JF DIGITAL MX-1 PRO on optical. Way better for clarity and details. It gives me a better experience than the pairing with Hifiman Arya.The thing is that despite its good sound performance, JF DIGITAL MX-1 PRO software is just ... bad. I'll try to find a better player for the AKG K812 + Conductor 3X combo.

Oct 4, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #464 of 528
I am curious about the setup you use with the Empyreans:
  • Which filter do you use?
  • Low or High Gain?
  • SE or Balanced?
I am using:
  • AP Fast
  • High
  • Balanced

Oct 4, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #465 of 528
I am curious about the setup you use with the Empyreans:
  • Which filter do you use?
  • Low or High Gain?
  • SE or Balanced?
I am using:
  • AP Fast
  • High
  • Balanced
According to the signature John does not have the Empyrean.

I am using
  • LP Slow
  • High
  • Balanced
Volume mostly on 1, some tracks require up to 10-20. On low it requires 48+, I am just lazy to turn the volume all the time from 0 to up so much.

Using balanced at the moment, but I will reassess SE. I think there was once a conversation somewhere which suggested that SE shall have wider stage.

Using LP Slow because I found that as the calmest or most relaxed on busy parts of tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back