New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Apr 30, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #301 of 528
When I am using my HEK with this I have the volume level between 70 and 80. This is on low gain.

Would it be beneficial to switch to high gain?

This is a powerful amp, when would high gain be needed

Attachment.png

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #302 of 528
When I am using my HEK with this I have the volume level between 70 and 80. This is on low gain.

Would it be beneficial to switch to high gain?

This is a powerful amp, when would high gain be needed

Attachment.png
If I'm going past 2 o'clock on the volume dial, which equates to about 70 - 80 on the digital readout, I normally switch to high gain. At that volume your eardrums should be ready to blow. With my Susvara's on high gain, I can barely get to 65 and they are super inefficient.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #303 of 528
If I'm going past 2 o'clock on the volume dial, which equates to about 70 - 80 on the digital readout, I normally switch to high gain. At that volume your eardrums should be ready to blow. With my Susvara's on high gain, I can barely get to 65 and they are super inefficient.
Yes I doubt I would get to that level on high gain 😀 I will switch to high gain when I have a listen later

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #304 of 528
Yes I doubt I would get to that level on high gain 😀 I will switch to high gain when I have a listen later
I normally keep my 3XR on high gain as it yields better dynamics and drive to my ears. I love how punchy the 3XR sounds at lower volume levels on high gain. Even low impedance, easy to drive planar headphones like my Hifiman HEKse and Audeze LCD-4z's need some power to reach their potential. Granted I never make it pass 35 with those headphones, but boy do they sound good on the 3XR! :L3000:

May 1, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #305 of 528
I have just received my new Hugo 2, as I am very curious to pair it with an M-Scaler. So I have to let this go now and sell the Burson Audio Conductor 3XR, almost as new, bought it in February/ March as new. PM me if you are interested. Will upload this to the sales section soon :)
So what is the difference with h2 as a DAC vs conductor alone?

May 1, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #306 of 528
1588259736837.png

I have just received my new Hugo 2, as I am very curious to pair it with an M-Scaler. So I have to let this go now and sell the Burson Audio Conductor 3XR, almost as new, bought it in February/ March as new. PM me if you are interested. Will upload this to the sales section soon :)
I have both the Hugo2 and 3XR. The Hugo2 is very good and with the right headphones can bring you immense joy. But 3XR is a statement piece, pairs well and can drive any headphone. So I wouldn’t be so quick to let go. With other headphones you’ll find the Hugo2 has it shortcomings. I would consider keeping both, but I do understand your path to sonic bliss.

May 1, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #307 of 528
So what is the difference with h2 as a DAC vs conductor alone?
I think this is the key strength of the Hugo 2 compared to the "off the shelf" DAC in the Burson, it opens up everthing, I would describe it like this:

The Burson is expensive polarised sunglasses from Prada/ Boss etc - nice style, parts produced by external suppliers, great feeling, quite good.

Hugo 2 is like putting on Maui Jim polarized and self developped high end sunglasses. I am sure there is still Tag Heuer etc that is better.

But the analogy is nice, good job Endre, as the Music clears up, all dust or fog is removed in my opinion. I can hear the music behind the bits and bytes better. The Burson was for me a disappointment compared to its price, with all its small but unforgivable quirks (hiss in the background, humming noice of the oled screen (test it when you push the volume knob to mute, then you hear the humming sound in the oled screen on off rhytmn) the jumping knob etc. And then a much clearer, detailed but still enjoyable DAC.

Just my opinion, no offense to those who are happy :) As I do not need a stronger amp and if I do I´ll try to hunt down a TT2 for a great value. Planning my next purchases that should be the following: M-Scaler, Wave cables, Verite Closed, TT2 and keeping Hugo 2 with the 2Go as a mobile solution...

May 2, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #308 of 528
Thanks,
I only had a chance to compare Hugo 1 to Burson cv2+ and then I preferred Burson by quite a margin. Chord was a bit "dry"? to my ears.. Now I am waiting for my preordered Conductor 3xp, hope it is as good or better then v2, so I will be happy :)

May 3, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #310 of 528
Just ordered a 3XP for my laptop listening setup. Caught the May day holiday so won't ship out until next week but hope to get it the week after. Will complement the Chord Mojo I currently use and like.

May 4, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #311 of 528
I've read a few complaints here about the volume control. What's the problem?

I have a Burson HA-160, which also has a stepped volume control. The steps are too widely spaced, so that I am constantly moving the dial up or down--it's never "just right." Is this the same issue people have reported about the Conductor 3 models?

May 8, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #313 of 528
Received Sparkoslabs SS3602. All I can say is it brought C3X to another level. Pls buy it if you haven't.

May 8, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #314 of 528
Received Sparkoslabs SS3602. All I can say is it brought C3X to another level. Pls buy it if you haven't.
Yep, I completely agree. I have being running them in my 3XR for a couple of weeks now. I only expect them to get better after they burn-in. After they both the 3XR and the Sparkos labs SS3602's burn-in for that matter.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #315 of 528
Yep, I completely agree. I have being running them in my 3XR for a couple of weeks now. I only expect them to get better after they burn-in. After they both the 3XR and the Sparkos labs SS3602's burn-in for that matter.
I am listening with HEDDphone right now. My god, C3X with SS3602 drives it very very well!! Regret didn't buy 3602 earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back