New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Apr 17, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #271 of 528
LDAC - may be, just add one PCB and write drivers, but MQA - I doubt.. license and chip... not in this model..
The good thing about this amp is it's modular. Burson could very easily come out with a new DAC board and have it include MQA and LDAC functionality.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #273 of 528
I have the C3R and the interface leaves a lot to be desired, especially concerning different aspects of volume control (rasterization of volume knob, jumping, lack of decoupling between different modes). Sound is great, though.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #274 of 528
Is nobody annoyed about the jumping volume control?

Do you have infos about the FIR filters?
I've noticed some jumping around on the digital display when turning the volume knob on occasion. It doesn't bother me all that much, but it is one of those things that shouldn't happen on a product of this caliber. So I understand your annoyance.

Here's some info on the filters:

IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #275 of 528
I've noticed some jumping around on the digital display when turning the volume knob on occasion. It doesn't bother me all that much, but it is one of those things that shouldn't happen on a product of this caliber. So I understand your annoyance.

Here's some info on the filters:

IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0044.JPG
Thank you!

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #277 of 528
Has anyone compared the C3 (X) with Chord products like the Hugo 2 or even TT2
I have a Hugo 2. The Hugo 2 is the better DAC, but the 3XR is the better all in one with one caveat. The 3XR‘s performance can be improved with different op-amps. I have a pair of LCD-4z’s I’m evaluating and as a test I pitted the Hugo 2 against the 3XR to see if I could hear some differences and I did. The Hugo 2 was more open, more dynamic, and made the 4z’s more lively sounding. Of course, the 3XR could push the 4z’s, but in terms, of ultimate resolution and transparency, the Hugo 2 beats it when driving the LCD-4z’s.

That’s when I decided to swap out the op-amps to the Sparkos Labs SS3602’s. Something interesting happened when I did. With the SS3602’s in the 3XR, it now closely matches the detail retrieval, clarity and transparency levels of the Hugo 2 with a more sub bass grunt and overall power. The SS3602’s improves upon the V6 Vivids performance and makes the 3XR more revealing, even more dynamic, with improved clarity and transparency. That in conjunction with power that 3XR has makes it one of the best headphone amps I’ve heard and now own.

With that said, it goes to show you how good the Hugo 2 really is as a transportable device. TT2 has more power with a better DAC section than the Hugo 2. I’m sure the TT2 could challenge or even beat the 3XR. Especially since you can get 18 watts of power out of its balanced outputs. But TT2 costs more than twice the 3XR, which in my eyes make the 3XR a bargain. Especially, now with the upgraded op-amps installed.

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #278 of 528
I have a Hugo 2. The Hugo 2 is the better DAC, but the 3XR is the better all in one with one caveat. The 3XR‘s performance can be improved with different op-amps. I have a pair of LCD-4z’s I’m evaluating and as a test I pitted the Hugo 2 against the 3XR to see if I could hear some differences and I did. The Hugo 2 was more open, more dynamic, and made the 4z’s more lively sounding. Of course, the 3XR could push the 4z’s, but in terms, of ultimate resolution and transparency, the Hugo 2 beats it when driving the LCD-4z’s.

That’s when I decided to swap out the op-amps to the Sparkos Labs SS3602’s. Something interesting happened when I did. With the SS3602’s in the 3XR, it now closely matches the detail retrieval, clarity and transparency levels of the Hugo 2 with a more sub bass grunt and overall power. The SS3602’s improves upon the V6 Vivids performance and makes the 3XR more revealing, even more dynamic, with improved clarity and transparency. That in conjunction with power that 3XR has makes it one of the best headphone amps I’ve heard and now own.

With that said, it goes to show you how good the Hugo 2 really is as a transportable device. TT2 has more power with a better DAC section than the Hugo 2. I’m sure the TT2 could challenge or even beat the 3XR. Especially since you can get 18 watts of power out of its balanced outputs. But TT2 costs more than twice the 3XR, which in my eyes make the 3XR a bargain. Especially, now with the upgraded op-amps installed.
I never tried op-amp-rolling and do not not even know how this effects the sound and why - I have to read myself in this subject perhaps :) . Aren!t the viviod amps int he 3XR of high value aswell?

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #279 of 528
I never tried op-amp-rolling and do not not even know how this effects the sound and why - I have to read myself in this subject perhaps :) . Aren!t the viviod amps int he 3XR of high value aswell?
Also: is there a thread, where these op-amps are compared. I just know that I am not 100% happy with the sound, I have just a feeling that my Verites could shine brighter :). I am at least happy that I do not hear the hiss noise from my Audeze LCD-2 Classics with the 300 Ohm Verites.

Still the sound I have now with the C3X is strong but not very open and I do not experience very clean transients. (if this wording is correct)

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #280 of 528

Noob question, there are 4 opamps in 3X, should change all 4 right? Or only one of the pair? What is the different between LP and I/V stage?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #281 of 528
The Vivids are very good op-amps indeed. The SS3602’s are little better to my ears. Here’s a video of a guy comparing the V6 Vivids and V6 Classics to the Sparkos SS3601 in the Burson Fun:

If you search head-fi you’ll find some threads comparing the Burson op-amps to some others. Burson, by making the 3XR op-amp rollable gave us a way to tailor the sound. If you’ve checked the box, you find that there is a set of 4 NE5532 dual op-amps included. These sound different than the V6 Vivids as well. This to me, is what makes the 3XR so versatile and competitive as a headphone amp.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #282 of 528
Noob question, there are 4 opamps in 3X, should change all 4 right? Or only one of the pair? What is the different between LP and I/V stage?
Yes there are 4 dual op-amps in the 3XR. If you decide to swap them, make sure you buy the dual version of the op-amps. The 3XR is fully balanced unlike the regular 3X which uses 2 dual and 2 single op-amps.

The LP, or low pass filter, is a filter that passes signals with a frequency lower than a selected cutoff frequency and attenuates signals with frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency. The I/V, or current/voltage stage, is basically intended to convert the current from a DAC (Digital Analog Convertor) into an analog voltage and to filter this signal to keep out the alias frequencies. They two can be influenced by the selection of op-amps.

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #283 of 528
Yes there are 4 dual op-amps in the 3XR. If you decide to swap them, make sure you buy the dual version of the op-amps. The 3XR is fully balanced unlike the regular 3X which uses 2 dual and 2 single op-amps.

The LP, or low pass filter, is a filter that passes signals with a frequency lower than a selected cutoff frequency and attenuates signals with frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency. The I/V, or current/voltage stage, is basically intended to convert the current from a DAC (Digital Analog Convertor) into an analog voltage and to filter this signal to keep out the alias frequencies. They two can be influenced by the selection of op-amps.
Thank you answering my questions. It will cost $320, but yeah, if the performance is good, why not?

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #284 of 528
Thank you answering my questions. It will cost $320, but yeah, if the performance is good, why not?
I think the SS3602 op-amps are an improvement over the V6 Vivids based on what I’m hearing from the 3XR. To me, they are definitely worth it. Right now Sparkos Labs is running a 20% off sale. Just use the code LOCKDOWN20 if you’re interested is getting some for your 3XR.

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #285 of 528
I think the SS3602 op-amps are an improvement over the V6 Vivids based on what I’m hearing from the 3XR. To me, they are definitely worth it. Right now Sparkos Labs is running a 20% off sale. Just use the code LOCKDOWN20 if you’re interested is getting some for your 3XR.
Wow, thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back