New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Mar 19, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #211 of 528
This is the email I received:
Burson Conductor 3X Performance
Burson Performance Series: Let's rediscover the depth and beauty of music, and dream of the future.

Introducing Conductor 3 and 3X Performance. Advanced DSD512 ESS9038/XMos USB DAC, Class-A discrete amplifier, 24/96khz BlueTooth input, and look stunning. They are full-blooded, multi-award-winning Conductors, shredded to essentials.

Conductor 3X Performance:
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/conductor-3x-performance/

Balanced USB DAC / Headphone Amp / Preamp
6.5Wpc XLR / 3.5Wpc SE
Retail price 1399USD inc shipping.
Limited Time Pre-Order Price 1119USD inc shipping.
Shipping in Mid April 2020.

Burson Conductor 3 Performance
Conductor 3 Performance:
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/conductor-3-performance/

Single Ended USB DAC / Headphone Amp / Preamp
4Wpc SE
Retail price 1099USD inc shipping.
Limited Time Pre-Order Price 899USD inc shipping.
Shipping in Mid April 2020.
* You can cancel your order before it ships. Burson will refund the order via Paypal, less 5% transaction fee. (the part that we don’t get refunded by Paypal)
* 30-Day Satisfaction Refund Guarantee: If you don’t like it, send it back in resellable conditions for a refund. Burson will not cover the return postage and we’ll deduct 10% transaction fee from your payment.

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #212 of 528
I like to understand this:

1. Does it make sense to buy the Conductor 3X as principally a standalone DAC? How does the DAC section compare to others in the US$ 2K region?

I had the earlier version of the Conductor SL and the DAC then doesn't impress me. However, it looks like people are comparing the new Conductor 3X with Mytek and didn't come up short?

2. Would the Conductor 3X be suitable for low level listening with sensitive phones, given that it has such higher power output?

I have read that some class A amps sound best only when driving loads that present a little challenge. Would the Conductor 3X fall into that category?

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #214 of 528
1. No. You can buy much cheaper delta-sigma DAC that would sound the same. Except they don't. The Conductor 3X sounds better than the Mytek DSD 192 DAC.
2. No. Too much background noise. And that depends as well - very sensitive IEMs may be a problem. The Neumann NDH 20, AKG K701 and Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 - no background noise.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #215 of 528

1. Does it make sense to buy the Conductor 3X as principally a standalone DAC? How does the DAC section compare to others in the US$ 2K region?

I had the earlier version of the Conductor SL and the DAC then doesn't impress me. However, it looks like people are comparing the new Conductor 3X with Mytek and didn't come up short?

2. Would the Conductor 3X be suitable for low level listening with sensitive phones, given that it has such higher power output?

I have read that some class A amps sound best only when driving loads that present a little challenge. Would the Conductor 3X fall into that category?
1. The DAC section of the Conductor 3X is really, really good. I haven’t tried it on its own yet. But I also have the Burson Swing and love it feeding my Gilmore Lite Mk2 and Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0. The DAC section in the 3X is a soup up version of Swing. So chances are, it should have stellar performance as a stand-alone DAC if you want to use it that way. I like it better than the DAC in the Conductor V2+, which I previously owned.

2. It really depends on the IEM, although I haven’t tried my IEM’s on the 3X yet. I’m to busy enjoying my full sized headphone collection on the 3X at the moment. There’s always the iFi IE match you can pair with IEM’s and connect it to the 3X if you’re experience hissing as low cost solution. To me, the 3X is more than worthy of ownership. It’s a superb amp with a great DAC.

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #216 of 528

i would consider the c3x if i was looking for an integrated dac/head-amp unit, but i would explore other options if i only required a dac separate because there are many at different price points

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #217 of 528
Anyone try this with the Hifiman Arya? Surely it has enough power, but wondering if the combo is good (synergetic). Thanks.

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #218 of 528
Anyone try this with the Hifiman Arya? Surely it has enough power, but wondering if the combo is good (synergetic). Thanks.
I don't have the Arya's, but I do have the Hifiman HE6se's, Susvara's and HE1000se's. The 3XR has no problem driving any of these headphones while sounding good doing so. The synergy is great with Hifiman headphones. But the 3XR sounds good with any planar or dynamic headphones I've played through it. So you should not have any issues driving the Arya's with this amp and have them sound good. It's the best I've heard the HE6se's sound, btw.

Apr 6, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #219 of 528
I don't have the Arya's, but I do have the Hifiman HE6se's, Susvara's and HE1000se's. The 3XR has no problem driving any of these headphones while sounding good doing so. The synergy is great with Hifiman headphones. But the 3XR sounds good with any planar or dynamic headphones I've played through it. So you should not have any issues driving the Arya's with this amp and have them sound good. It's the best I've heard the HE6se's sound, btw.

Thank you, very helpful.

I'm looking at several options, but right now leaning towards the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and then a SPL Phonitor ex amp.

I do like a AIO solution like the 3x, but the option above also has its advantages.

Edit: I see you have the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2. I do as well, and tomorrow when I receive my Arya's will be using it to drive them. So while I'll be able to make up my own mind, I'm wondering what your opinion is about the Mk2's ability to drive them and the synergy it has with your other Hifiman headphones (according to HeadAmp the Arya and Mk2 are a great match) or whether it is necessary (or at least very worthwhile) to upgrade to something like the 3x to drive Hifiman cans, since you can directly compare both amps. Surely you think it was, but I could sure save some cash by just sticking to my existing setup!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #220 of 528
Thank you, very helpful.

I'm looking at several options, but right now leaning towards the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and then a SPL Phonitor ex amp.

I do like a AIO solution like the 3x, but the option above also has its advantages.

Edit: I see you have the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2. I do as well, and tomorrow when I receive my Arya's will be using it to drive them. So while I'll be able to make up my own mind, I'm wondering what your opinion is about the Mk2's ability to drive them and the synergy it has with your other Hifiman headphones (according to HeadAmp the Arya and Mk2 are a great match). I could sure save some cash by just sticking to my existing setup!
I do like the feature set of the RME ADI-2 but it doesn’t have a balanced output. I like driving all of my headphones balanced. I’ve never heard an SPL amp so I can’t really comment on the pairing, unfortunately. The RME ADI-2 is a heck of a DAC and would go well with any amp you choose.

I think you’ll be fine using the GL Mk2 to drive the Arya’s. The GL Mk2 does have 1.5 watts of class A power on board. It’s a very detailed little amp and I have been enjoying mine for over a year. I use the GL Mk2 mainly as preamp for the Burson Bang power amp for my harder to drive headphones. But with the flick of a switch, I listen to my Z1R’s, HP-3’s and other easy to drive headphones directly out of the single ended output with lots of success. I do recommend getting a Shiit Loki to go in between whatever DAC you’re using and GL Mk2. It will give you more flexibility to tweak the sound to your liking without adding distortion. It’s one of the best tweaks I bought since being in this hobby.

I have a female 4-Pin balanced to spade speaker terminal adapter I use to connect to the Bang. With the GL Mk2 doing preamp duties, this setup gives me the ability to drive every headphone out there with ease. This was my preferred setup until I got the 3XR. The 3XR is a beast of a headphone amp and has the convenience of being an all in one setup. The DAC in it is superb and I don’t think you’ll be missing out on performance if you go with the 3XR. But I do get why you like flexibility of using separate components.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #221 of 528
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #223 of 528
Also, later this year a new power amplifier to replace the Timekeeper Virtuoso.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #224 of 528
Apr 10, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #225 of 528
Hi Guys, I could do with a little bit of guidance here as I am a bit of a novice regarding equipment. I tend to read a lot of forums and narrow things down and then try and audition.

I have a dealer in the UK who is willing to send the C3X out to me so I can have a trial but I would like to find out more before I do this.

I currently have a Roon Nucleus streaming music to my Devialet 200, this is then connected by RCA to my Auralic Tauris MK2 headphone amp. I use Roon , I have a few high res albums but I mainly stream from Tidal now. I see this as being my main music listening now.

I have the HEK and HD800S headphones and they are so different and I love them both

Is the C3X overkill if I mainly intend to use Tidal? I do have the HiRes service.

I get a little confused as there are two versions the C3R and the C3X , I know that one has a Balanced output and this appeals as I currently use the Balanced output on my Taurus with both sets of headphones. I think the HD800S benefits greatly from this.

Why is there a £400 difference in the price of the Burson amps , is the only difference the Balanced and SE output? Sorry if this is a basic question but I am trying to understand all of this.

I would also like to know if I can connect the Nucleus straight to the CX3 and take the Devialet out of the chain as I may be rearranging where my home rig is situated due to a house move.

Also I may use my IPad or I phone. I know there is BT capability but I would prefer not to use this. So can I connect my Apple gear direct to the C3X

What is the best way to connect to the C3X.?

I have never had a Burson product but I love the look of this amp and it seems to be getting a lot of attention, and it appears to have bags of power so I am sort of future proofing to if I buy more headphones in the future.

Any help and guidance will be very much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back