New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
Jul 8, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #421 of 583
Im in two minds on whether to purchase these headphones, the reviews are not stellar about these and I thought these were a summit fi sounding can but it seems that majority agree that is is a mediocre mid fi, can someone shed some light on whether these are one of the better open backs on the market please, I would have thought fostex would have done a better job with there own driver than mr.speakers and other modders to be honest.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #422 of 583
  Im in two minds on whether to purchase these headphones, the reviews are not stellar about these and I thought these were a summit fi sounding can but it seems that majority agree that is is a mediocre mid fi, can someone shed some light on whether these are one of the better open backs on the market please, I would have thought fostex would have done a better job with there own driver than mr.speakers and other modders to be honest.

There isn't much tuning at all in the TH500RP. The only thing they did to the driver is cut a square out of the paper on the back of it and put it in an open headphone cup. IMO you're better off buying a T50RP and making it more open to achieve the same exact sound.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #424 of 583
  There isn't much tuning at all in the TH500RP. The only thing they did to the driver is cut a square out of the paper on the back of it and put it in an open headphone cup. IMO you're better off buying a T50RP and making it more open to achieve the same exact sound.

but the new 50rp is closed-back....  500rp is open-back.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #425 of 583
he means mod the cheaper t50 to sound like the th500rp as there was absolutely nothing tuned in the drivers for the th500rp, so all your paying for is the looks which arent that great either, I fail of a headphone if you ask me. 

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #427 of 583
How do these stack up against the HE-500?  I have the HE-400's and love them and looking for my next great headphone and was thinking these or the HE-500.  Any thoughts?

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #428 of 583
  How do these stack up against the HE-500?  I have the HE-400's and love them and looking for my next great headphone and was thinking these or the HE-500.  Any thoughts?

It really depends what you are looking for.

I have both the HE-400 and the TH500RP. I enjoy both but I consider the Fostex headphones to be a sidegrade, rather than an upgrade.

If you are happy with the comfort of the old-school Hifiman headphones, and you have a powerful enough amplifier, I would recommend the HE-500's.

The Fostex headphones are more solidly built, they are lighter and more comfortable, and they are a little easier to drive. As far as sound is concerned, the Fostex headphones have this really lust, thick, romantic midrange that is very addictive. That is great, especially if you do not like bright headphones, but I always feel they are lacking some sparkly. I listen to a lot of indie rock with jangly guitars and I always feel I am missing something with the Fostex headphones. When I want to kick back and listen to Tom Waits they are perfect.

Cheers.

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #430 of 583
^ indeed but it's still using the utterly fragile shell of the Denon's: https://www.google.com/search?q=denon+d2000+broken&tbm=isch
confused_face.gif

Drop it once or twice and it's Bye Bye Kansas.

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #431 of 583
  ^ indeed but it's still using the utterly fragile shell of the Denon's: https://www.google.com/search?q=denon+d2000+broken&tbm=isch
confused_face.gif

Drop it once or twice and it's Bye Bye Kansas.

The hinge screw has been revised since the D2000 in the Fostex TH600 and TH900 which is the same headband as the TH500RP, so I wouldn't assume it will the same common issues as the Denon headbands. 

That's a solid price on a TH500RP if you're wanting a T50RP with a premium look without ordering a DIY variant. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #432 of 583
I have not been the biggest fan of this headphone since I purchased it earlier in the year.
I find the treble a little lacking as I prefer bright headphones.
I am going to try swapping pads to see what happens.
I have TH900, Hifiman, Beyerdynamic and HM5 pads to try. I may purchase some Denon pads to try to.

I know HifiGuy528 had some fun pad swapping. If anyone else has had any success I would love to hear about it.

Cheers.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #433 of 583
So, I tried to swap my TH900 and TH500rp pads around and had no luck.
I could not get the pads off my TH900.

I saw on the Lawton site that the mounting rings sometimes need to be pried with a flat-head screwdriver, but I can be super clumsy and the thought of going near my TH900s, the most beautiful headphones in the world, with a screwdriver had me breaking out in a cold sweat.

I will still try the TH900 pads but I will order a set as they are not too expensive. I like the idea of having two sets around as well in case I ever wear-out the originals.
I hope to try the HM5 and Hifiman pads over the weekend.

What I did notice though is there is a small circle of foam behind the pads on the TH500rp. I removed that, it is not glued or anything, and I love the new sound.
It is much more open and spacious. At first the vocals sounded a little off but either that was my imagination or my brain has adjusted.

Highly recommended from me, but I love brightness.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back