New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
Jan 28, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #436 of 583

I will still try the TH900 pads but I will order a set as they are not too expensive.

Where do you see these? I tried buying a pair from Fostex and they said they didn't sell them separately. I asked lawton, but he said he didn't have any and wouldn't for a long time. That was in november, he still doesn't have them.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #437 of 583
  Where do you see these? I tried buying a pair from Fostex and they said they didn't sell them separately. I asked lawton, but he said he didn't have any and wouldn't for a long time. That was in november, he still doesn't have them.

DESCRIPTION: EAR PAD TH600/TH900

PART # : 8560014000

PRiCE : $28.99 EACH

AVAILABILITY: IN STOCK

email info@wooaudio.com if you wish to order a pair or two...

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #440 of 583
still running them in, really like them and they sounded subjectively "complete" despite knowing that objectively it's mid-centric according to measurements found on the now defunct Chang⭐️ site.

I don't find it bright or thin the way I felt about beyerdynamic T1s (though T1.1 do other technicalities better, such as micro details and headstaging) or grado gs1000e, both of which I listened to for comparison.

In a way, when driven by the chord mojo, it shares with HD650s' flow and just gets out of the way of musical enjoyment.

they are a nice counterpoint to hifiman he400i (or even fostex's own th600s), in the sense that the 400i the midrange serves to connect the bass and treble, and the th500, the bass and treble fleshes out the mids.

ymmv

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #442 of 583
still running them in, really like them and they sounded subjectively "complete" despite knowing that objectively it's mid-centric according to measurements found on the now defunct Chang⭐️ site.

I don't find it bright or thin the way I felt about beyerdynamic T1s (though T1.1 do other technicalities better, such as micro details and headstaging) or grado gs1000e, both of which I listened to for comparison.

In a way, when driven by the chord mojo, it shares with HD650s' flow and just gets out of the way of musical enjoyment.

they are a nice counterpoint to hifiman he400i (or even fostex's own th600s), in the sense that the 400i the midrange serves to connect the bass and treble, and the th500, the bass and treble fleshes out the mids.

ymmv

Great impressions. I am dumbfounded by the general distaste of these phones. They are absolutely superb with acoustic /vocals. Seriously, nothing better from the wide range of phones I've heard

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #443 of 583
I love mine and I feel like they provide a really nice contrast to my other headphones.
The crazy thing is that the musical enjoyment is so high on these phones I tend to reach for them more often than my HD800's.
I know it will change and I will swing back to the more analytical phones at some point but that is why I like a variety.
I really enjoy changing the pads out on these as well.
My TH500RP pads are currently on my HE-400's and my SZ2000 pads are currently on these Fostex headphones.

Cheers.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #444 of 583
despite being a non-modder, since I have both the th500 and the th600, I can't help but wonder if it's feasible or even advisable to swap the baffle/drivers of the two, at a hypothetical level, it should work (the planar driver was developed for semi open use, and the 50mm biocellouse drivers move enuff air methinks)

oh wells... I like them as they are... just so tempting lol

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #445 of 583
If i like the Senns HD800 sound signature woud i like the TH500's what i would like is a little more bass does this HP achieve this Are the TH500 a step down from the Senns what im looking for is a HP that would fit between the Senns and my modded Denons D-5000. would they be a good choice .i have several amps would this HP appreciate more a SS amp like the Burson Conductor 4wpc or maybe tubes like a WA22 ,WA6, 

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #446 of 583
  If i like the Senns HD800 sound signature woud i like the TH500's what i would like is a little more bass does this HP achieve this Are the TH500 a step down from the Senns what im looking for is a HP that would fit between the Senns and my modded Denons D-5000. would they be a good choice .i have several amps would this HP appreciate more a SS amp like the Burson Conductor 4wpc or maybe tubes like a WA22 ,WA6, 

I haven't heard the Sennheiser, but have read a lot about it being great at pinpointing instruments and space (imaging and soundstage). The 500 I have and I'd say, whilst being a very good and precise can, it has a softer trebler and a thick musical midrange. The bass is by no means thin - I think it's a meaty, precise and fast bass. So if you want a musical pair of headphones this is the way to go, but I still think you might miss some treble coming from the hd800's. Some reported that you can remove some damping material behind the earpads, to deliver a more sparkly treble (you will have to check out his own wording though).

Disclaimer: Atm. I am away from home and my home audio setup, which means that I don't have great amping and therefore can't tell you if any above mentioned opinions will change with the amping (My guess is that it will only get better!!!)    

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #447 of 583
Make sure to post impressions when you've recieved them! Would like to know how you think they sound compared to the Senns and in general.

Usually I listen to headphones with low-med volume (with my Fidelio x2's and Rha ma-750's) and like that, maybe because of the v or u- sound signature they have, but these I like to listen a bit louder to, in order to get that last treble going. 

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #448 of 583
  Make sure to post impressions when you've recieved them! Would like to know how you think they sound compared to the Senns and in general.

Usually I listen to headphones with low-med volume (with my Fidelio x2's and Rha ma-750's) and like that, maybe because of the v or u- sound signature they have, but these I like to listen a bit louder to, in order to get that last treble going. 

i was going for the X2 but with the glue controversy and all meanwhile i saw a screeming deal on the TH500RP so i got em

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #449 of 583
Has anyone try these pads from  Ebay from what i heard the FOSTEX pads  and the Denon pads should fit the Fostex TH500RP                                                                                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/261349307920?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=560254102182&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back