New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
Feb 25, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #451 of 583
First impressions of the FostexTH500RP planars after a few hours is that they are complete opposite to the Senns HD800 not as detailed but are warmer sounding, bass doesnt go as low maybe rolled off , but theres less bass to my ears.After listening to the Fostex for a few hours i put the Senns back on and they sounded brighter wow big change just goes to say that its probably more the brain burning in than the HP because i dont remember the Senns sounding like that at all weird At this point i used the EQ with the Fostex and this is the ajusments i did to get the sound more to my liking more detailed also factor in that im 60 and worked in a noisy environnement so that doesnt help.So ultimately they will be less fatiguing to listen to than the Senns HD800 i will let them burnin overnight and see what happens For these impressions i used the Burson Conductor by the way the Fostex need more power than the Senns for equal volume i also tried the Fostex with and they sounded decent with a WA6 and WA22 not so good on the FU32 amp will try with WA2 soon .
UPDATE : After several  hours highend seems to be less rolled off still a warm sounding HP i feel bass could be tighter 

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #452 of 583
Maybe these grow on you after a while?

I really really liked an early prototype, finding it easy sounding as you mention.

But somehow, I did not like the final version even though there weren't supposed to be many changes made to it. I wonder if part of the reason is not just mood and especially what gear you listen to before trying this one out.

Cheers,
Arnaud

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #453 of 583
Maybe these grow on you after a while?

I really really liked an early prototype, finding it easy sounding as you mention.

But somehow, I did not like the final version even though there weren't supposed to be many changes made to it. I wonder if part of the reason is not just mood and especially what gear you listen to before trying this one out.

Cheers,
Arnaud

So far ive tried them with several amps tubes and SS and i liked them the most in an SS amp the Burson Conductor . Audeze is also a favorite with this amp so i guess planars love SS amps 

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #455 of 583
Sonic Electronix has bumped the price up form $329 to $429 for the TH500RP.  Still, in my opinion, a sweet, sweet deal.  I am really enjoying these headphones.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #456 of 583
  Sonic Electronix has bumped the price up form $329 to $429 for the TH500RP.  Still, in my opinion, a sweet, sweet deal.  I am really enjoying these headphones.

on Ebay i saw last night $329.00 still

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #459 of 583
Little QC problems with them tough my pair the steel plate was a bit loose on one cup besides that ok a friend will have to return them he has a dead channel. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #460 of 583
  Little QC problems with them tough my pair the steel plate was a bit loose on one cup besides that ok a friend will have to return them he has a dead channel. 

Don't like to hear that.  I bought two in the past two weeks, one for a gift, the other for me.  No problems with either so far.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #461 of 583

That is unusual for a Fostex product because they are pretty good about their QC practices but I guess anything can happen. We shall see.

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #463 of 583
My first pair from sonic electronix also had a loose grille and a scratch on one of the earcups. My current pair didn't have a loose grille from the start, but sometimes, depending on how the pads are placed (atleast that's what I tend to do the difference) it is a bit loose too. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #464 of 583
Probably for the loose grills glue can be added if cant fix it by twisting metal piece more                                                                                       
Also found this mod helps bass ,it seems tighter i put the foam assembly on outside of HP on top of grill for now to test i like the results cut out foam a little bigger than hole and assembly will stay in place .i had 2mm foam  on hand  with a tacky side   .To make the port i used and cutout a rubber washer that i place between the 2 layers on 2mm foam on the tacky side    Will that assembly fit inside didnt try yet maybe it will be to thick maybe will use foam only instead of 1/8 thick washer .Also if intalled inside maybe results wont be the same alot of maybe's lol but as is i like it 

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #465 of 583
I think mine may have a loose (something) too. The right earcup rattles when moving the headphone back and forth.

Sound wise, not very impressive. I'm finding the HE-400s a better performer across the board. Detachable cables and better comfort to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back