New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
Sep 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #213 of 583
Indeed, hard to make a review out of thin air...

hahah i've heard rumors of people playing with preproduction modelsss heh.

alotta headphones make their rounds around through some of the members around here before they hit actual release date.

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #215 of 583
Heard them at the show yesterday.
Planned to be released in November in Europe with price approx 700Euro.
There were two pre-production models on the show.But the guy said the tuning and design & pads will be same for production versions. They are very light and comfortable.
Brief impression. Very airy and open sounding, vocals sounded really nice,I think bit laid back and smooth presentation. Cant say much about bass, there were no tracks with bass emphasis playing.

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #217 of 583
I've had a pre-production unit for a while. I guess I should post more impressions. 

For whatever reason, at home they sound a bit rolled-off in the treble and a bit thick through the mids -- similar things I didn't like about the Oppo PM1. They don't do deep bass very well like planers with larger diaphragms do. So other than with the deep bass, the presentation is somewhat relaxed. 

They seem to be quite brutal to drive -- they sound a bit asleep, so I'm going to play around with gear a bit to see what works well with them. The cable from the splitter to ear cups carries the sound of rubbing very badly too.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #219 of 583
  I've had a pre-production unit for a while. I guess I should post more impressions.

For whatever reason, at home they sound a bit rolled-off in the treble and a bit thick through the mids -- similar things I didn't like about the Oppo PM1. They don't do deep bass very well like planers with larger diaphragms do. So other than with the deep bass, the presentation is somewhat relaxed.

They seem to be quite brutal to drive -- they sound a bit asleep, so I'm going to play around with gear a bit to see what works well with them. The cable from the splitter to ear cups carries the sound of rubbing very badly too.

Sounds like the opposite of the TH900, which has a V-shaped frequency response....

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #220 of 583
Yeah, they are rather flat, except for the rolled-off deep bass.  I wouldn't call them mid-forward (that is reserved for the AT-like LCD-XCs). Beats Antique, for example, comes across like it is being played through a pair of studio monitors and lacks impact, but is very smooth and non-fatiguing.

I'm using them mainly from a Geek Out 1000 with an Aurorasound USB PSU, which seems to be a decent match.  Unfortunately I can't modify them to run balanced, as they'd probably work well with the Centrance M8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back