New! Focal Spirit Pro?
Nov 28, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #47 of 117
Very interested in these; nice comments/review in regards to monitoring: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/focal-spirit-pro-studio-reference-headphones

FSP vs 7520 vs ultrasone sig pro? I want to do this comparison :p

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #48 of 117
does anyone know the input power ?
maximum input power?

I see they have a special mylar/titanium driver but why 40 millimeter driver?
I can imagine quality and detail from that size but I can't imagine impact and weight from that size driver sorry 4 being a doubting Thomas..

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #49 of 117
I'm amazed how little attention these are getting around here given how good they would appear to be for a flat monitor-like headphone. Sounds like they beat out 7520, 1540 and other more expensive closed headphones when it comes to flat response, tight detailed bass and suitability for tracking/mixing music.

The thread over on gearslutz has twice as many pages as here and people are raving about them, many people with expensive studio monitors saying they are the first pair of headphones they've heard that they feel they can actually mix confidently on.

I'm very keen to get some I think..

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #50 of 117
I've read four reviews stating that they're on the small size, for circumaural headphones -- that your ears don't really fit inside the cups. Could anyone here comment on the matter?

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #51 of 117
I'm amazed how little attention these are getting around here given how good they would appear to be for a flat monitor-like headphone. Sounds like they beat out 7520, 1540 and other more expensive closed headphones when it comes to flat response, tight detailed bass and suitability for tracking/mixing music.

The thread over on gearslutz has twice as many pages as here and people are raving about them, many people with expensive studio monitors saying they are the first pair of headphones they've heard that they feel they can actually mix confidently on.

Id have to hear that for myself. The 7520 is exceptional as far as bass detail goes.... I mean exceptional!

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #52 of 117

I know, everybody begs for a flat response/neutral can and when one comes around, it's ignored. Not controversial enough, I guess...

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #53 of 117
Interesting, i'm a big fan of their solo6 monitors. How's the isolation on these? Also are the pads and cable replaceable without voiding the warranty? Looks like an upgrade to the DT-150 which have some areas i'd like to see some improvement on.

Edit: seems the cable is replaceable with a non coiled version, nice :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #57 of 117
Well, its being touted as a flagship model... while I made my decision based on it being accurate its been said that comfort wise the Classic is more over the ear than on and is less fatiguing over long periods of time, things that a studio headphone should be.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #58 of 117
  Well, its being touted as a flagship model... while I made my decision based on it being accurate its been said that comfort wise the Classic is more over the ear than on and is less fatiguing over long periods of time, things that a studio headphone should be.

Studio headphones aren't/shouldn't be the primary source of reference which means (unless preferred) shorter time spans of usage. The monitors should be, especially in a well treated room, the main source of professional reference. You will want to use them as a tool to check mixes/mastering with the monitors. I do agree that they shouldn't be fatiguing but they should be revealing and dry with short decay and accurate imaging as opposed to being more cohesive and musical in presentation. In a studio it would be good to have a very musical can like the hd650 as well as a dry and clean headphone and clean monitors. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #59 of 117
While I do own a studio I did buy these to be used with my AK120 while out and about... kind of having doubts that was such a good idea.... my theory is that flat sounding studio headphones accurately represent the sound/mix put through them so as a freak de la EQ settings they would be the most fun to play with and get a good sound from as long as they are range capable which they should be.

Am I wrong in assuming this?

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #60 of 117
Thinking about the Classic instead now .lol.

Was hoping that studio phones would be well suited for a broad range of music due to the above theory also, ie: That by changing the EQ settings you can bring the best out of the otherwise flat and accurate sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back