New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2,208 of 3,599

received mine. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 beguiling yes, accurate no, but that's A-T. 
Quote:
To those who are interested in getting the W3000ANV, I am selling mine, which is 1 week old. PM me more for information. Open for negotiation but since I got it last week on Wednesday, I don't want to lose too much selling it.

Eventually I found that I much prefer the clean and uncolored sound of Stax as compared to the Audio Technica. 

wish you hadn't said that. 
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #2,209 of 3,599

Quote:
received mine. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 beguiling yes, accurate no, but that's A-T. 

wish you hadn't said that. 
wink.gif

Well, I would love to keep it. But then selling the W3000 would speed up my slow but definite journey in getting the Stax 009. 
biggrin.gif

Due to space and money constraint, since I have gone the electrostats way, if I were to keep the AT I will have to get a better amp, which, isn't cheap too.

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #2,210 of 3,599

Quote:
hi, i just got these cans secondhand, the seller said he used them only for 10 hours, i find them to be unbearably sibilant and bright on most recordings, is this the result of lack of burnin?

Burn in will help but also what are you using to listen to them. The amp and sources can make-or-break a rig. Are you using lossless files or mp3s? Are these high bit rate mp3s? More info would help us help you. Another thing to consider is brain burn in. Also they just may not be to your sound preference. But don't give up just yet. They do sound amazing to me. They are a tad bright IMO but not sibilant.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #2,211 of 3,599
I've joined the club. My pair will be here in a few days. And hopefully staying a while. Hoping I enjoy the experience. Is anyone that uses them with a solid state neutral amp finding the treble to be too bright or adding to sibilance? Thanks!

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2,212 of 3,599
Quote:
Quote:
2) I cannot absolutely listen to my W1000X with the computer onboard audio. It lacks current and power. I have been told from its previous owner that it requires a powerful amp to express its best. I'm in the process of finding the best match.

As Purrin already said, they are easy to drive.
IMO, the last thing they need is a powerful amp as they are very sensitive. A powerful amp might give you hiss/hum and will only let tou use a fraction of the volume dial.
A quality amp is the best choice, all 4 of my amps are (should be) a charm with them. (the Zana is on its way but if you check this thread you will see that people love it with ATs).
Something less will do as well, my ATs sound more than fine out of my portable HP-P1 as well.
My advice would be: a quality amp that is not too powerful and is hiss/hum-free, believe me, they are sensitive to that. They will let you hear problems that you wouldn't even notice with a Sennheiser for example.

I didnt mean powerful as with high gain and high voltage, I surely meant quality but with enough current (they can take up to 2W!, which translates in an exorbitant amount of current).
So, low gain, high quality, low-noise, high current, most likely solid state because i'm allergic to tube rolling and the few valves i like cost too much.
Unless I find some counter-indications I'm getting a HA6++ and i'll diy two different projects to compare with Gilmore's design (which is a little low on current IMO).

According to what I understood of the sound signature, the W3000 requires an amp more open and warm and not much forward-sounding (es. like an Electrocompaniet).
I am at page 65 of this thread yet, its a long and slow read. Of the SS amps that I'm considering only the not ideal match with the V200 came up.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2,213 of 3,599
Quote:
hi, i just got these cans secondhand, the seller said he used them only for 10 hours, i find them to be unbearably sibilant and bright on most recordings, is this the result of lack of burnin?

Burn in will help but also what are you using to listen to them. The amp and sources can make-or-break a rig. Are you using lossless files or mp3s? Are these high bit rate mp3s? More info would help us help you. Another thing to consider is brain burn in. Also they just may not be to your sound preference. But don't give up just yet. They do sound amazing to me. They are a tad bright IMO but not sibilant.

Most are lossless with the few being 320-256kbps mp3s
Amp is a xonar essence one

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #2,214 of 3,599

Quote:
I didnt mean powerful as with high gain and high voltage, I surely meant quality but with enough current (they can take up to 2W!, which translates in an exorbitant amount of current).
So, low gain, high quality, low-noise, high current, most likely solid state because i'm allergic to tube rolling and the few valves i like cost too much.
Unless I find some counter-indications I'm getting a HA6++ and i'll diy two different projects to compare with Gilmore's design (which is a little low on current IMO).

According to what I understood of the sound signature, the W3000 requires an amp more open and warm and not much forward-sounding (es. like an Electrocompaniet).
I am at page 65 of this thread yet, its a long and slow read. Of the SS amps that I'm considering only the not ideal match with the V200 came up.

I mixed the terms up as well.
The SS amps I tried them with are the Luxman P-1u and AT-HA5000ANV. 
Both drive them really well and are absolutely quiet.
The AT is a little warmer in the mids where the Lux has a bit more soundstage, but the differences are minimal.
If anything, they sound louder sooner on the dial with the Lux than with the AT, so you have a little more control over the volume with the AT.
I'm not sure if that means the Lux has more gain or puts out a higher voltage or both?

I wish you courage with reading the thread, I did that myself a while ago.  :wink:

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #2,215 of 3,599

Quote:

It's possible they may not be your cup of tea. I've measured the FR on my pair first thing when I opened them, and then again numerous times under different temperatures and conditions. They have always measured the same (or at least within measurement error.) But consider this: when I've been listening on my more neutral HP1000s or UERM, and go back to the the W3000's, there's usually an adjustment period where I acclimate to the treble. Just give it some time. Also I've found these headphones to do better with certain recordings than others. I hate to say it, but I have a dedicated playlist for them.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2,216 of 3,599
My HeadAmp GS-1 came in today. No longer ampless with the HD800. And now my W3000ANV should be in on Friday! Can't wait to see how they compare. :) I'm really looking forward to the W3000ANV. More than any other headphone I've tried thus far.

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2,217 of 3,599

Quote:
It's possible they may not be your cup of tea. I've measured the FR on my pair first thing when I opened them, and then again numerous times under different temperatures and conditions. They have always measured the same (or at least within measurement error.) But consider this: when I've been listening on my more neutral HP1000s or UERM, and go back to the the W3000's, there's usually an adjustment period where I acclimate to the treble. Just give it some time. Also I've found these headphones to do better with certain recordings than others. I hate to say it, but I have a dedicated playlist for them.

Very true.

After spending a week listening to nothing but the SR-007 and SR-009, I found the W3000ANV to be insufferably grating. Returning to them later on, all was well again.

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2,218 of 3,599

Quote:
Hiss isn't the result of excess power. Only being able to use a fraction of the volume dial is a result of the gain settings, not excess power. A "quality amp" as you put it will be able to drive a very large variety of headphones in a linear manner at any listening volume. 
smile.gif

Quote:
My HeadAmp GS-1 came in today. No longer ampless with the HD800. And now my W3000ANV should be in on Friday! Can't wait to see how they compare. :) I'm really looking forward to the W3000ANV. More than any other headphone I've tried thus far.

Which is why I love these headphones with the GS-1. Zero hiss (even at high volume levels) and a great match IMO.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #2,219 of 3,599

Quote:

Very true.

After spending a week listening to nothing but the SR-007 and SR-009, I found the W3000ANV to be insufferably grating. Returning to them later on, all was well again.

HOLY **** i am a huge huge huge believer in ear resting now!
my first listen to them was actually after i was driving for 1 hour and was really sleepy when i got back, i was picking up the hifiman he 500 and these babies, was disappointed with both due to sibilance, but now in the morning, these don't sound sibilant at all.

they sound beautiful!! my hifimans are  not sibilant as well now , am a happy guy again
o2smile.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #2,220 of 3,599

Quote:

Which is why I love these headphones with the GS-1. Zero hiss (even at high volume levels) and a great match IMO.

How do you find the treble quantity compares to the HD800? Curious about whether the W3000ANV may accentuate sibilance compared to the HD800 or actually mask sibilance a little bit. Just looking for some opinions. Turns out my W3000ANV will not be here until Saturday. Feels like a year away.

Edit: as a note, I am talking about already sibilant recordings. Not creating something out of nothing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back