New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 12, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #2,236 of 3,599

Quote:

Very true.

After spending a week listening to nothing but the SR-007 and SR-009, I found the W3000ANV to be insufferably grating. Returning to them later on, all was well again.

my response to headphones often changes. i'm not sure if the headphones do. once i acclimate the headphone sounds as it should, until i switch to another.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #2,237 of 3,599
Quote:
I've taken apart W1000Xs, AD2000s, W5000s, and now my W3000s. Basically same internal structures and parts. The wood cups are just wood cups (with the AD2000 not having them obviously.) Drivers look the same, but I strongly suspect they are tuned / doped differently (I've only had the chance to measure the W3000 raw driver.) I even had this crazy idea that I could buy W5000 and try to mod them into W5000s...   
One of these days I'll grab the W5000 + W1000X (again), do a tear down, and measure the raw drivers. I'm sure a lot of the AT fans would be find it fascinating.

Oh yes :)

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #2,239 of 3,599
I'm looking for a full size close wooden headphone. This idea came from ESW9 that I own, and thought such headphone would make a good complement to my primary headphone HD800. I believe the search is over... after reading through 150 pages on this thread and another 22 pages over Fostex TH900, I think W3000ANV will be a better match to my taste :p

With regards to Outlook, I personally prefer the darker surface of W3000ANV to the bright reddish of TH900 (this is strictly personal), and for the different mood I think I will get greater enjoyment and contrast switching between HD800 and W3000ANV than the other 2...

I'm now checking with several sites plus a South East Asia supplier. Will probably press the button once I confirm which supplier to buy from :)

My wife will probably keep nagging me the next few months over this purchase, and will delay my ss balance amp... but being a limited edition I guess I will take that nagging... (or put on my headphone whenever she does that :p)

Initially I post this on another thread asking for recommendation:
I'm looking for a lush, nice looking wooden headphone to pair up for different mood of listening with my HD800. Especially for vocal, or solo instrument such as woodwind or strings.

Up my head there are 3 phones Denon AH-D7000, ATH W3000ANV and Fostex TH900 (I hope I remember these models correctly) Base on the outlook alone I choose W3000, and I would love to hear your other recommendations as well.

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #2,240 of 3,599

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe somebody will even do an open cup mod on her.

Hell, just replace the cups entirely with new ones that use zebrawood and chicken-wire screens!

Either that or pink plastic cups with a plastic window to see the beautifull drivers inside. I am sure the plastic cups will increase the soundstage.

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #2,241 of 3,599

Quote:
Up my head there are 3 phones Denon AH-D7000, ATH W3000ANV and Fostex TH900 (I hope I remember these models correctly) Base on the outlook alone I choose W3000, and I would love to hear your other recommendations as well.

I will be posting impressions comparing the TH900 with the W3000ANV and D7000 most likely this weekend or early next week.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #2,242 of 3,599

Quote:
Quote:

I will be posting impressions comparing the TH900 with the W3000ANV and D7000 most likely this weekend or early next week.

I have both the W3000ANV and D7000 and have been comparing all my phones lately.
Based on the comparison I made my choices on what to keep and what not, this is the result (for me):
W3000ANV: keeping them for lighter rock, light Jazzy stuff snd vocal.
L3000: keeping them for the harder rock stuff.
D7000: keeping them for classical but they do a good job with the other genres I like as well, though the other two do better in their specific genres I mentioned above.
W1000X: general purpose allround kind of phones to have hanging around my desk all the time.
TH900: definitley going to try these based on MuppetFace's opinions which helped me a lot with choosing other phones.

IMO, FWIW, YMMV, etc ...

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2,244 of 3,599
Quote:
One measurement method (MLSSA) uses a time window (on the impulse response) to plot the FR. The window lengths chosen are usually long enough to capture very early reflections of the higher frequencies. This would have an effect on the measured FR. The question: is the ear/brain apparatus smart enough to detect at least some of these very early reflections and recognize them as such. Personally I believe the answer is yes - and to a large degree - especially when it comes to headphones.

Yeah, the ear is faster than any microphone.

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #2,245 of 3,599

Excellent, I can't wait.

I'm planning a downgrade (side-grade?) from LCD-2s to either the 3000 or the 7000. Would you be so kind as to include a mention of how well they each play with the DX100?

Cheers

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2,247 of 3,599
Heh, I'd call that a big upgrade.  :wink:

:D - Ya, I guess in my brain I'm leaning towards the D7000 because I really just want something fun, easy, and comfortable. I've heard some folks here voice the opinion that the LCD-2 is better than the D7000 in every way (apart from comfort, size, easy to drive etc).

I'd be into the ATH-W3000ANV more if the headband a) didn't look so goofy, and b) didn't have as many folks having to put a lot of effort into making it work for their misshapen beans (my bean is of course perfectly shaped).

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,248 of 3,599
The LCD 2 blasts the D7000 in every way sound wise except flat out 'fun factor'. IMO of course.

The W3000 is probably more of a side grade, though I can't comment from experience.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2,249 of 3,599

Quote:
Quote:
Heh, I'd call that a big upgrade.  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
- Ya, I guess in my brain I'm leaning towards the D7000 because I really just want something fun, easy, and comfortable. I've heard some folks here voice the opinion that the LCD-2 is better than the D7000 in every way (apart from comfort, size, easy to drive etc).

I'd be into the ATH-W3000ANV more if the headband a) didn't look so goofy, and b) didn't have as many folks having to put a lot of effort into making it work for their misshapen beans (my bean is of course perfectly shaped).

Comfort isn't the LCD-2's biggest strength indeed, it looks like a bankscrew and felt like one to me.
The AT's headbands are a different story, some like it, some hate it.

Quote:
The LCD 2 blasts the D7000 in every way sound wise except flat out 'fun factor'. IMO of course.

The W3000 is probably more of a side grade, though I can't comment from experience.

Everyone his own opinion of course. And there are probably more people sharing yours than mine.
To me the LCD-2 sounded dull, dark and compressed. I had them for about two months, they were burned in and I bought them used. They were rev. 1. I also had suitable amps for it back then like the SPL Phonitor and Luxman SQ-N100 as well as the P-1u.

The W3000 isn't my Holy Grail though, the closest thing to it is the D7000 for me but not quite as well.
Maybe one of the LA7000's I will be putting together will be it? Or the TH900 which I have high hopes for?
But both the W3000 and L3000 are the best there is for me for specific genres as posted a few posts back.

EDIT: I am not talking about technically or measurably better here, but what sounds better to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back