New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #2,192 of 3,599

Quote:
FWIW, I don't think the W3000ANV is in danger of disappearing any time in the immediate future.

Quote:
I want to order the W3000ANV so badly. But I should wait until my HeadAmp GS-1 arrives on Thursday. The limited quantities just worry me. Otherwise I would consider trying to wait until my tax returns get here.

And even if they do some will still come up for sale I'm sure. Not mine though to be clear, they're one of the few phones I will be keeping, I seem to have finally found my taste.  :wink:

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #2,193 of 3,599

Quote:

And even if they do some will still come up for sale I'm sure. Not mine though to be clear, they're one of the few phones I will be keeping, I seem to have finally found my taste.  :wink:

Might want to change your signature if you plan to keep your W3000ANVs!

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #2,194 of 3,599

Quote:
Quote:

Might want to change your signature if you plan to keep your W3000ANVs!

Your're both right and wrong. :wink:
If you check my profile you will see I sold a pair of W3000s and still have a pair.
But indeed, no matter how much I updated my profile, my sig needs an update as well.
Will get to that right away!
Thanks for pointing me out by the way!  :)

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #2,196 of 3,599
Talking about AC/DC here in partiucular and hardrock in general.
Just to let you know, I love Down Under. The W3000ANV doesn't do the trick for AC  (and any old hardock band) but the L3000 sure does it a lot better!  :)
Bedlam in Belgium mates!   :) I saw them last year IN A'dam as the concert in Antwerp got cancelled.
AC rocks to say the least and the L3000 brings out the best of them in HF world.

Three posts in a row, I'm sorry mods but I felt like I had something to share. The W3000 shines but the L3000 beats it every time in one area for me.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #2,197 of 3,599
The L3000 will always be one of the greats to me, barring some extreme situation, it's the one headphone I will never part with.
I'm just surprised that so many people don't like them or think they are mediocre in some way, since I've loved them since the first time I got them.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2,198 of 3,599
I've had the W3000ANV's for about  a week now and share the love. They could be the most compelling and musical phones I've heard? I also have the LCD-2s on loan, but in comparison, these are not getting much use.

The thing about the W3000ANV's is that they add a self-imposed expressiveness to the musical line that is very addictive and unique among the more neutral presentation of other TOTL phones I've heard. (I haven't heard the R10's). I'm liking the wonderfully "involving" soundstage, luscious mids and great timing/ prat that's reminiscent of Naim gear. These also are detail monsters, but the detail is mitigated with a slightly warm hue and the very supple nature of the sound.

The only flaw is that they're just a touch bright on some recordings but I only have about 20 hours on them. Most of the time, I don't find this to be an issue. No fatigue yet.

Yes, I agree that the L3000s are also fantastic and there is nothing like them. I prefer them for most rock (Radiohead is awesome on these). The L3000 has attributes that work together to serve this genre in way that sounds more authentic for grungy compressed rock CD's IMO. By comparison, I find the W3000ANVs are more enjoyable for lighter rock, more balanced recordings, vocal pop, folk, jazz, etc.. The L3000's have a darker almost melancholy sound whereas the W3000s are lighter and just a joy to behold.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #2,200 of 3,599
Quote:
From memory: so could be talking out of my ass.

1. The W1000x had more upper midrange / lower treble. I liked it at the time, but this upper mid emphasis became a little bit too much for me. The quality of the W1000X treble wasn't very smooth either. The W3000 treble is more tame and absolutely smooth compared to W1000x (or HD800, D7000, T1, and many other headphones for that matter.) Believe it or not, the W3000 is my preferred headphone for certain bright pop tracks that I cannot stand on my HD800 (modded).
  2. If there is any emphasis on the W3000, I would guess it would be around the 2-4kHz region. The W1000 seemed to have emphasis around 6kHz. The W3000 mids are funkier but more pleasant (depending upon genre). The W1000X mids are more straightforward "forward" sounding with that upper mid /lower treble emphasis.
  3. The W1000X bass is stronger all around with deeper extension. The W3000 has a strategically mid-bass hump (probably the same magnitude as the W1000X), but rolls off toward the low bass. The W1000X (stock) also sounded very slow and lacked some snap and articulation. I did some mods to fix this. The W3000 has no such issues. Impact, snap, articulation - it's all there.
  4. Both are extremely easy to drive with a portable audio device or computer outs. Looking back, I feel the W1000X needed an external amp more than the W3000 because of the need to power and control its massive bass demands. No need for a mega-buck amp, but one of those won't hurt either.

1) The 2-3k peak is called shout in speaker language. I have a pair of fullrange drivers that have this problem and I had to EQ over 6dB in that region to make them listenable for more than a few minutes. You guys seem to not have issues with the W3000. The higher peak of thew W1000X hopefully is more benign to my ears but I dont have a capable amp at the moment.

2) I cannot absolutely listen to my W1000X with the computer onboard audio. It lacks current and power. I have been told from its previous owner that it requires a powerful amp to express its best. I'm in the process of finding the best match.

3) Bass/speed: amp related or not?

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #2,201 of 3,599
Almost all of the AT woodies seem to have this "shout" in the 2-3k range to some degree or another. The L3000's and ESW9 have much less, the W100's, W11jpns, and Vintages have more. This is part of the AT sound that people either love or hate.

I've found that amp and source matching can help flatten things out a wee bit.  I'm using an older Cary 300b tube amp on the W3000ANVs that's a wonderful match. To me the slight peak adds a bit of excitement to vocals. It's what I hear live in the acoustic venues that I happen to frequent.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #2,202 of 3,599
Thinking of pulling the trigger tonight. What amps do those that like the W3000ANV use? My GS-1 will be here in a few days. A very neutral amp. But it seems that a lot of folks in this thread are using tubes. How do Head-Fi'ers think the W3000ANV is with neutral amps?

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #2,203 of 3,599

Quote:
Thinking of pulling the trigger tonight. What amps do those that like the W3000ANV use? My GS-1 will be here in a few days. A very neutral amp. But it seems that a lot of folks in this thread are using tubes. How do Head-Fi'ers think the W3000ANV is with neutral amps?

FWIW, I really, really enjoy my W3000ANV's paired with my GS-1.
smile.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,204 of 3,599

Quote:
Quote:

1. Both are extremely easy to drive with a portable audio device or computer outs. Looking back, I feel the W1000X needed an external amp more than the W3000 because of the need to power and control its massive bass demands. No need for a mega-buck amp, but one of those won't hurt either.

2) I cannot absolutely listen to my W1000X with the computer onboard audio. It lacks current and power. I have been told from its previous owner that it requires a powerful amp to express its best. I'm in the process of finding the best match.

As Purrin already said, they are easy to drive.
IMO, the last thing they need is a powerful amp as they are very sensitive. A powerful amp might give you hiss/hum and will only let tou use a fraction of the volume dial.
A quality amp is the best choice, all 4 of my amps are (should be) a charm with them. (the Zana is on its way but if you check this thread you will see that people love it with ATs).
Something less will do as well, my ATs sound more than fine out of my portable HP-P1 as well.
My advice would be: a quality amp that is not too powerful and is hiss/hum-free, believe me, they are sensitive to that. They will let you hear problems that you wouldn't even notice with a Sennheiser for example.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #2,205 of 3,599
Hiss isn't the result of excess power. Only being able to use a fraction of the volume dial is a result of the gain settings, not excess power. A "quality amp" as you put it will be able to drive a very large variety of headphones in a linear manner at any listening volume. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back